Release Surf SM

Started by SoCalAngler, March 01, 2015, 07:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Not a tutorial or question but I had the chance to play around with a Release reel surf SM last week. They are starting to hit tackle shops so I thought it was time to start talking about them and man do they look nice. It is a bit strange to see a reel with no crossbars, just the reels foot connects to the sideplates. Compact like the SG reels, star drag and the spool spun very nice, though I'm not sure if the spool bearings were cleaned before I got my hands on it. The SM reels do have ceramic spool bearings, a good thing? Well I'm not sure especially in a reel for the surf there they may get a dunking from time to time. One thing I do really like is the almost single color of the reel. What I mean by this is the reel, spool, handle, knob, star, foot...well almost of the reel I saw was a dark gray with the exception of the screw holding the eccentric lever being red, which added  little pop IMO. The fit and finish are what is to be expected from Release, which some of you know is fantastic. The one thing I did not like were the handle knobs but like I have said in other threads, no matter who makes a reel I'm just not a fan of round knobs.

At around $400 for a surf reel time will tell if they can move many of these but boy do they look cool, and no the tackle shop didn't let me open one up, and yes I did ask.  ;)

BMITCH

Yes from the online vid's and pic's they look sweet! $400 price point??? We will see. I hope to hold one next weekend at a show here up in the NE. Thanks for reminding me of this little gem.
luck is the residue of design.

akfish

Do they at least come with a schematic? The earlier Release reels did not have one and there was not even one online. I was told this was so that fisherman would not open the up!
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

SoCalAngler

Just saw the reel, not the box it came in or the contents of the box.

Bryan Young

I'm waiting for my sample to take disassemble.  It will probably be a few months as they are trying to meet orders.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Craigen

Does it have a rod clamp?

al_n_VB757

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 02, 2015, 08:40:12 PM
I'm waiting for my sample to take disassemble.  It will probably be a few months as they are trying to meet orders.

These guys are in my backyard in VA and I know the production team. Yay, another all USA made reel!! I will ask if they can send you one to dissect.

Bryan Young

Justin said that he will get one out to me in due time...I can wait patiently.  I heard that they are trying to keep up with production.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

al_n_VB757

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 30, 2015, 08:08:09 PM
Justin said that he will get one out to me in due time...I can wait patiently.  I heard that they are trying to keep up with production.

Here is Justin's "custom" Release SM. It pays to be the "HNIC"..LOL