505/506 HS double dog

Started by otghoyt, March 05, 2015, 01:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otghoyt

The 505 and 506HS reels use a different bridge but the same 15-500 dog as the beloved 500 Jiggmaster.  Also Penn was kind-a-nuff to factory drill the bridges for RH and LH versions.  Meaning the LH dog and spring pivot holes are already there, in the proper position, just waiting (begging) to have a pivot shaft and spring post swedged, pressed, soldered or glued in for an easy double dog conversion.

I have three HS reels wanted to be converted to double dogs but I need some parts.  The dogs and springs are a no brainer but the posts are another story.  Hey Black Peril....answer my PM about this please or anybody chime in about where I can locate the posts.  I heard about a guy using brass screws but that's kinda not kosher in my book.  I like my dogs to drop alternately so they still take a big drag load but the backwards slam distance is half as far.

Help a bruddah out

Mattman NZ

Hi WOThoyt - I use old drill bits for my dog posts and if they're too big I just turn them down to the size I want - slight taper and Loctite and press them in using the vice - Spring posts I use brass rod and do the same turn them down to what I want and press them in - normally I turn them down to fit the size spring im going to use .I make my dogs out of whatever I have on hand = old stainless knives and old worn-out Penn bridges and use springs out of old Bic lighters .
This is how I did my 505HS.
Regards
Matt...

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

otghoyt

Mattman NZ.......

See how you are?  You use big words like "turn-down" and show off a bridge with engine turned jeweling.  You're talking to a guy with a Dremel and half a brain.  I want it fast, cheap and easy....lust like my women.

I destroyed an old bridge trying to get the the posts out.  Them suckers are really in there.  I froze it, I heated it, I yanked and pulled. Those posts were kind-of oval shaped when I finished wrecking that bridge.  So, I'll get a cheapo drill index from Harbor Freight and cut off what I need.

I was hoping Black Perl would sell me some as he is doing double dogs on stainless bridges and has access to ALL THOSE PARTS.  Probably kicking around the ones that rolled off the table.  But will he share?  Nooooooo.

All foolin aside.....that really is a nice piece of work there and I like the timing how the dogs drop in.  Nicely done!

wothoyt

Mattman NZ

All good WOThoyt - when I mean turn down = I use my trusty el cheapo drill press made in China - drill end in the chuck and in with a file I go - I actually own a lath with a one meter bed but my shed if you can call it that so small it sits on two chairs in the wife's kitchen  >:( that's why im always on coffee duty so she doesn't have to see it too often  ;D Pity some of you guys live so far away because I would gladly do a bridge for you .I too own a dremel and gets used almost every day - easy way to remove the dog post grind the back of the post flat and as close to the bridge as you can - center punch and use a small drill slightly smaller than the post into the pin this releaves and pressure and should either pull out with pliers or push out with a pin punch . ;D
Rgds
Matt...

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Mattman NZ on March 05, 2015, 06:18:59 PM
All good WOThoyt - when I mean turn down = I use my trusty el cheapo drill press made in China - drill end in the chuck and in with a file I go - I actually own a lath with a one meter bed but my shed if you can call it that so small it sits on two chairs in the wife's kitchen  >:( that's why im always on coffee duty so she doesn't have to see too often  ;D Pity some of you guys live so far away because I would gladly do a bridge for you .I too own a dremel and gets used almost every day - easy way to remove the dog post grind the back of the post flat and as close to the bridge as you can - center punch and use a small drill slightly smaller than the post into the pin this releaves and pressure and should either pull out with pliers or push out with a pin punch . ;D
Rgds
Matt...

What are you using to hold the the post in that you made from the drill pit?

Mattman NZ

Hi fIsHsTiiSKS - I put a slight taper on the drill end that goes into the bridge - cut it to the length I want - put a drop of Loctite red and press it in using a vice . If ive cut the post to long it goes back into the chuck leaving a few millimeters out and push it down onto a file then some 400grt wet& dry.
Regds
Matt...

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Mattman NZ on March 05, 2015, 06:42:10 PM
Hi fIsHsTiiSKS - I put a slight taper on the drill end that goes into the bridge - cut it to the length I want - put a drop of Loctite red and press it in using a vice . If ive cut the post to long it goes back into the chuck leaving a few millimeters out and push it down onto a file then some 400grt wet& dry.
Regds
Matt...

With that setup, are you getting any interference from the jack at all?

Mattman NZ

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 05, 2015, 06:46:06 PM
Quote from: Mattman NZ on March 05, 2015, 06:42:10 PM
Regds
Matt...

With that setup, are you getting any interference from the jack at all?
No - I put all the pieces onto the bridge and place my dog roughly where I want it to go - mark then drill .
Regds
Matt...

Mattman NZ

A few pics of my tools .Drill press & dremal.

My bro picked these up from a garage sale a few weeks ago for $5-00

Home made punches mad from old tent polls and shell cases cut and sharpened with the dremal.

Used punches to make these under main gear washers for the small Penns - old milk bottles seem to work really well with an average thickness of .5mm to .7mm.

this is the stuff I use for the dog shafts.

Hope this helps .
Regds
Matt...

Mattman NZ

I pulled out the 505 to take some pics .

Opps - I meant to post some of those pic's in a different thread .
Rgds
Matt...

surfcaster

That is good stuff, I am a big fan of making tools & parts out of what I have on hand.
I have also broken a few parts here while experimenting before I get It right.
  Tight Lines Richie

otghoyt

In all of my infinite wisdom, I never thought of chucking it up in a drill and using a file or come crocus cloth.  I scored a cheap a** drill index today and I'll sit down tonight and fix 'er up.  One of the drills matches up nicely for the dog post and can fiddle with the spring post and get another to work for that. 

I have an order in for another dog and spring and I'm sure in a couple days I will have successfully plagiarized your patented, EZ process for double doggin 505s and 506s.

Thank you so much for stirring up my brain cells with your knowledge.

wothoyt

Shark Hunter

Matt,
That's pretty slick using those old milk jugs for under gear washers. Poor Man's Delrin. ;D
Life is Good!

Black Pearl

Quote from: WOTHoyt on March 05, 2015, 02:28:28 PM
Mattman NZ.......

See how you are?  You use big words like "turn-down" and show off a bridge with engine turned jeweling.  You're talking to a guy with a Dremel and half a brain.  I want it fast, cheap and easy....lust like my women.

I destroyed an old bridge trying to get the the posts out.  Them suckers are really in there.  I froze it, I heated it, I yanked and pulled. Those posts were kind-of oval shaped when I finished wrecking that bridge.  So, I'll get a cheapo drill index from Harbor Freight and cut off what I need.

I was hoping Black Perl would sell me some as he is doing double dogs on stainless bridges and has access to ALL THOSE PARTS.  Probably kicking around the ones that rolled off the table.  But will he share?  Nooooooo.

All foolin aside.....that really is a nice piece of work there and I like the timing how the dogs drop in.  Nicely done!

wothoyt

Hi,

Not I don't want to share, but you have to know that the dog post diameter I made for the 500 bridge was small than PENN made. Also, my factory does not keep any stock. When I order X quantity of the parts, the factory makes that quantity.

I can not just have to make 3 posts and rivet them on your 3 plates.

I am sorry about that. Maybe, Sal can help you out on those 505/506 bridge plates.

Thanks,
--Alan