New reel maintenance

Started by maka, March 12, 2015, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maka

the bearings i've got are some ABEC 7 from hpr bearings  ???

Reel 224

Something I learned a long time ago, less is more when it comes to lubricants on parts. The most important thing has been mentioned. The ability of a Lube to stick to the moving parts.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

maka

Quote from: Reel 224 on March 20, 2015, 12:59:20 PM
Something I learned a long time ago, less is more when it comes to lubricants on parts. The most important thing has been mentioned. The ability of a Lube to stick to the moving parts.

i've heard that at shimano they only grease half of the teeth on the pinion gear

johndtuttle

Quote from: maka on March 20, 2015, 02:35:57 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on March 20, 2015, 12:59:20 PM

i've heard that at shimano they only grease half of the teeth on the pinion gear

No, that is silly. You cannot only grease half of the teeth unless what you mean by that is that just they put a glob on one side only quickly during assembly.

Once the reel gets turned over it spreads equally over the rest of the teeth and 99% gets squirted out the sides regardless. We only get a micro film left behind after the gears get done meshing.

Reel 224

Yes exactly using less grease or oil is better then globing it on so heavy that it isn't doing any real good where it's needed, further more to much lube can be counter productive in a lot of cases. As was said the most important thing is the ability of the lubricant to hold on the parts. Also to much oil can attract dirt and cause additional wear,to much grease can cause gumming up of the gears making them sluggish over time. I believe what was meant in the statement about the Pinion gear on Shimano was to allow the grease to work it way threw the gear.   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

maka

what about the shielded beargings? what is the best way to clean if i don't want to take out the "shield"

Tightlines667

Quote from: maka on March 22, 2015, 09:30:00 PM
what about the shielded beargings? what is the best way to clean if i don't want to take out the "shield"

Soak in mineral spirits, agitatr, spin and dry.  Though if they have old grease in them its tough to get it all cleaned out without removing the shields.  I f you are going to pack em with fresh grease using a bearing packer, or the like, the new grease should drive most of the old out.  Sonic cleaners are also great for cleaning bearings up.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Slazmo

Quote from: maka on March 22, 2015, 09:30:00 PM

Are you talking about press shields or those with the C shield clips?

If you can, always remove removable shields and service them that way. Press shield bearings, thats another whole kettle of fish!

maka

maka

this is really embarrasing  :-[
The bearing kit just arrived and i've opened the reel.The problem i have is that 2 washers fell off the reel and i dont know where they go.
The dimension are 9'85mm x 7'2mm.One is from brass and the other is steel/aluminium.I will attach some fotos:
I think they go on the pinion gear(16936) betwen this one and the bearing but i'm not sure and i don't know the order..if they go together,if the brass washer goes first,etc The pinion gear dimension is 7mm

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/media/fishing/shimano/sefh/documents/exploded_views/15RARCI44FB_v1_m56577569830914842.pdf

they look the same as the washers used on the drive gear(there are 4 in there allready on the non marked side of the gear)
hope someone can help me  :(

Bryan Young

Those shims are added to align the gears.  They normally don't appear in the schematics because they are used for fine adjustments, and may have more or less than what you see.

Not sure where they go...sorry.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maka

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 05:04:33 PM
Those shims are added to align the gears.  They normally don't appear in the schematics because they are used for fine adjustments, and may have more or less than what you see.

Not sure where they go...sorry.
no,they don't appear  :(
thank you anyway

Bryan Young

my guess is that the shimming washer goes under the pinion bearing
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maka

it seem's that the best place for those washers is on the pinion gear on top of the bearing.I don't know exactly how they go but if i take them out the clicker when working the drag doesn't make any noise.
At the moment work's fine but i am still waiting for the permalube to arrive.Today i've just put another 3 bearing in it as for the 4th one(in the oscilating slider) i need to cut the existing bushing and i don't really want to cut it now.

johndtuttle

Quote from: maka on March 24, 2015, 09:48:28 PM
it seem's that the best place for those washers is on the pinion gear on top of the bearing.I don't know exactly how they go but if i take them out the clicker when working the drag doesn't make any noise.
At the moment work's fine but i am still waiting for the permalube to arrive.Today i've just put another 3 bearing in it as for the 4th one(in the oscilating slider) i need to cut the existing bushing and i don't really want to cut it now.

Yes, if your gears are smooth they are also used to adjust the rotor height.