New reel maintenance

Started by maka, March 12, 2015, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Slazmo

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 06:21:47 PMmy guess is that the shimming washer goes under the pinion bearing

No shims exist in that size under the pinion bearing in Shimano reels. These will be for the LH side of the Drive Gear, and one shim may exist above the pinion gear Anti reverse sleeve - this is so that the rotor sits atop of it for whatever clearance it may give?

Quote from: maka on March 24, 2015, 04:12:42 PMthey look the same as the washers used on the drive gear(there are 4 in there allready on the non marked side of the gear) hope someone can help me  :(

Maka,

The Stainless Steel washers are .20mm, the Bronze is .07mm, the Brass is .03mm

The Drive gear (LH Side) needs the following x2 Stainless steel, x2 Bronze and x 1 Brass.

Pinion Gear (on top of the Anti Reverse sleeve) needs 1x Brass washer.

Usual assembly of these washers is Stainless, Brass and Bronze on the outer most edge (to the bearing).

Once these all go back on, assemble and see what fitting you get within regards to 'tightness / ease of spinning', if there feels like a binding of gear noise (wind slowly & never force it "EVER"), you will have to disassemble and take out a washer, try a Stainless steel one and reapply the brass washer from atop the Pinion Anti Reverse sleeve.

The reel should go back together with the a minute amount of lateral play in the handle (left to right), it may take a little playing with shim thicknesses as I did to my reels yesterday.

Maka - do you have FB? I could show you my Servicing album which may explain this shim stacking issue to you a little better?

FB-> Andrew Slazmo

maka

Quote from: Slazmo on March 25, 2015, 12:14:18 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 24, 2015, 06:21:47 PMmy guess is that the shimming washer goes under the pinion bearing

No shims exist in that size under the pinion bearing in Shimano reels. These will be for the LH side of the Drive Gear, and one shim may exist above the pinion gear Anti reverse sleeve - this is so that the rotor sits atop of it for whatever clearance it may give?

Quote from: maka on March 24, 2015, 04:12:42 PMthey look the same as the washers used on the drive gear(there are 4 in there allready on the non marked side of the gear) hope someone can help me  :(

Maka,

The Stainless Steel washers are .20mm, the Brass is .07mm, the Bronze is .03mm

The Drive gear (LH Side) needs the following x2 Stainless steel, x2 Brass and x 1 Bronze.

Pinion Gear (on top of the Anti Reverse sleeve) needs 1x Brass washer.

Usual assembly of these washers is Stainless, Brass and Bronze on the outer most edge (to the bearing).

Once these all go back on, assemble and see what fitting you get within regards to 'tightness / ease of spinning', if there feels like a binding of gear noise (wind slowly & never force it "EVER"), you will have to disassemble and take out a washer, try a Stainless steel one and reapply the brass washer from atop the Pinion Anti Reverse sleeve.

The reel should go back together with the a minute amount of lateral play in the handle (left to right), it may take a little playing with shim thicknesses as I did to my reels yesterday.

Maka - do you have FB? I could show you my Servicing album which may explain this shim stacking issue to you a little better?

FB-> Andrew Slazmo

thank you for your time!
i will open the reel again now and tell you what i have.
on the drive gear,left hand(right hand in the schematics) were 4 washers as i can remember:1SS,2 brass,1 bronze
the 2 washers that felt off were 1 ss and 1 brass.they were together o the floor
under the rotor (15575)i have a thick bronze washer

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/media/fishing/shimano/sefh/documents/exploded_views/15RARCI44FB_v1_m56577569830914842.pdf

talking about the lateral play in the handle,i have some and if possible i would like to remove it
thank you again!
i will update this a bit later with some pictures

i added you on my facebook  ;)

maka

another dumm question..
the drag clicker,is it supposed so make noise when rotating the spool in one way or in both ways?
in my other reels it makes noise in both ways but in this one i'm not sure

maka

wow Slazmo..you've just made a big mistake by giving me your FB lol  :D.Now i will be your personal headache hihi
I am amaized with your pictures
Have some questions..
1. I changed the bushing on the rear os the ws with the bearing in the kit i've bought.I don't like the feel,it has more play than before,with the bushing.I made a washer 0'6mm thick and put in a teflon washer(in there before),the bearing,another teflon washer and my home made one.Still don't like the feel.Any ideas?

2.For the oscilating slider I also have a bearing but i don't quite want to cut it.As far as you know,is there any reel that has that part ready to fit on mine?I mean with a bearing instead of the bushing.

3.The handle and spool support bearing are in,so no trouble there.

4.How do you measure the amount of play?
thank you

Slazmo

Maka ill have to reply when i am on my laptop next. My phone isn't the best platform to type long winded replies sorry.

Anyhow feel free to look through my servicing album and comment / question etc.

Should be back on in the next few days. Busy boy as I have 8 reels to do in the next 2 days alone.

Best.

Andrew

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 10:25:14 AMthe drag clicker,is it supposed so make noise when rotating the spool in one way or in both ways? in my other reels it makes noise in both ways but in this one i'm not sure

Maka,

The new Shimano Spool support with the bearing setup is done so that when the drag is in use the audible alarm will occure, when the drag / spool is rotated in reverse against the line lay it will be silent. The black toothed plastic drag clicker housing rotates with the ticker pawl and is silent when spun in reverse.

maka

Quote from: Slazmo on March 25, 2015, 12:52:48 PM
Maka ill have to reply when i am on my laptop next. My phone isn't the best platform to type long winded replies sorry.

Anyhow feel free to look through my servicing album and comment / question etc.

Should be back on in the next few days. Busy boy as I have 8 reels to do in the next 2 days alone.

Best.

Andrew
no problem,i'm still waiting for the grease,so nu rush

maka

tell me what do you think about this when you can:
this is how i think they go and how they are installed now

some wear on both oscilating guides

and on the drive gear

at this point the reel work's fine but there is a point when i can hear a clicking noise(wich i am pretty sure comes from the oscilating pawl).I will probably put in again the ws bearing.
Maybe with some better grease and oil will work better.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Slazmo on March 25, 2015, 12:14:18 AM

Good to know.  I took apart several spinners that had shims between the pinion gear and the pinion bearing to tighten up the gap so the pinion gear sat flush with the pinion support and the pinion bearing so there was very little up and down moment of the pinion gear before the rotor was attached to the pinion gear shaft.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maka

finnaly and thank God my reel is back and working like a dream  8)
I think i've opened it probably 20 times these days lol
the clicking noise,it was caused by the oscilating guides..my mistake,i switched them.I saw that just today thanks to the wear.Apparently they have the same size and everything but the wear is not the same because the oscilating slider has in one side 2 support holes and in the other side just one,so the wear wasn't matching.
If I can help anyone with info or anything about this reel,just ask!
Thank you all for your patience and time! ;)

Slazmo

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMthis is how i think they go and how they are installed now

Just the Brass one on top of the Anti Reverse inner drum.

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMsome wear on both oscilating guides

These slides on the newer reels are made from Aluminium and cant be polished due to that, they seem to be anodised to some degree and should be oiled periodically, I am seriously considering buying the Stainless Steel variants and installing them into my reels for better longevity.

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMand on the drive gear

Thats normal. You would have seen the wear on some of the Shimano drive gears in my Servicing Album, some of which are many times worse than that, as long as its normal smooth wear with no gouging it is fine.

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMat this point the reel work's fine but there is a point when i can hear a clicking noise (wich i am pretty sure comes from the oscilating pawl). I will probably put in again the ws bearing. Maybe with some better grease and oil will work better.

Constant clicking noise while winding? May be that there are too many shims on the drive gear forcing it too far across. See how much lateral shift of the gear exists now with the handle screwed in. Remove one and then rebuild and screw in handle, there should be like 1/1000th of a inch movement.

Andrew

Slazmo

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 25, 2015, 06:10:03 PMGood to know.  I took apart several spinners that had shims between the pinion gear and the pinion bearing to tighten up the gap so the pinion gear sat flush with the pinion support and the pinion bearing so there was very little up and down moment of the pinion gear before the rotor was attached to the pinion gear shaft.

Correct that Daiwa employ this with their smaller reels that I have serviced. Its a Convex washer bent like a taco that is just there to hold up the pinion above the bearing.

However some people put one of those shim washers on top of the pinion gear this forcing down the gear into the pinion support because the bearing sits on top of it. When the rotor is installed and nut tightened that is all brought together and the pinion actually rises up off the bearing ever so slightly, no force is on that pinion support bearing (Shimano - X Ship bearing)

maka

Quote from: Slazmo on March 28, 2015, 01:55:19 AM
Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMthis is how i think they go and how they are installed now

1- Just the Brass one on top of the Anti Reverse inner drum.

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMsome wear on both oscilating guides

2- These slides on the newer reels are made from Aluminium and cant be polished due to that, they seem to be anodised to some degree and should be oiled periodically, I am seriously considering buying the Stainless Steel variants and installing them into my reels for better longevity.

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMand on the drive gear

3- Thats normal. You would have seen the wear on some of the Shimano drive gears in my Servicing Album, some of which are many times worse than that, as long as its normal smooth wear with no gouging it is fine.

Quote from: maka on March 25, 2015, 05:44:57 PMat this point the reel work's fine but there is a point when i can hear a clicking noise (wich i am pretty sure comes from the oscilating pawl). I will probably put in again the ws bearing. Maybe with some better grease and oil will work better.

4- Constant clicking noise while winding? May be that there are too many shims on the drive gear forcing it too far across. See how much lateral shift of the gear exists now with the handle screwed in. Remove one and then rebuild and screw in handle, there should be like 1/1000th of a inch movement.

Andrew

1-i will do that
2-I think you're right,they aren't moving parts so  the balance won't be affected,just a very slight weight gain
3-This is insteresting...that gear is from anodized aluminium in my reel so probably it show's wear easyer than SS or some coated steel.Anyway the pattern is allmost identical on every teeth but it doesn't have the shape of the wear on your stradic we discuss yesterday.Due to it's color it's kinda hard to get in a picture but i will try to upload one better
4-I think that noise was caused by the oscilating pawl changing direction on the worm shaft.I switched the oscilanting guides betwen them and the clicking sound is gone ???
how do you meassure the play in the hadle?(lateral and radial)

Slazmo

Quotehow do you meassure the play in the hadle?(lateral and radial)

It'sa hbest guess at best. However you can measure bearings against bearings cup outside diameters.