New reel maintenance

Started by maka, March 12, 2015, 09:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maka

Hello!
I have a question:What type of grease(name,ref. anything) the shimano spinning reels have when new?
Is it the permalube?what color should this grease have?
Thank you!

alantani

maka, welcome!!!! spinners are not my favorite reels to work on.  short of a full tear down, your best bet might be to shoot it with aerosol corrosion x prior to fishing, then repeat after every trip. we have spinner guys here that should be able to help more. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

maka

Quote from: alantani on March 12, 2015, 09:12:47 PM
maka, welcome!!!! spinners are not my favorite reels to work on.  short of a full tear down, your best bet might be to shoot it with aerosol corrosion x prior to fishing, then repeat after every trip. we have spinner guys here that should be able to help more. 
Alan,as allways willing to help.Thank you!
My mistake,I didn't mentioned that i allways fish in fresh water.Is it still recommended corrosion x?
If you remember we had a chat a few weeks back about some reels I have and I told you(and I think it's worth mentioning again,so the mates know)that i really love the feel of a new rell(lol,who doesn't)I like it to be smooth,without the feel of the pinion gear rubbing on the worm shaft.That's what I am looking after.

thank you

alantani

corrosion x will be fine.  it's much easier if you don't have salt water to deal with. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Slazmo

Quote from: maka on March 12, 2015, 09:03:54 PM
Hello!
I have a question:What type of grease(name,ref. anything) the shimano spinning reels have when new?
Is it the permalube?what color should this grease have?
Thank you!

Whatever it is it migrates off the gears very quickly, my usual procedure with Shimano gear is to spool the reel with line and then to proceed to strip it down and wash all the manufacturing swarf out of it... (Picture attached from a "BRAND NEW" Shimano Stradic 5000 FJ)

Some reels have a lot of the swarf and some have a fair bit but all new reels seem to have it regardless!

The grease colour is as pictured (picture attached).

wallacewt

swarf, must be a plinth twin

Slazmo

maka

Thank you Slazmo!
Do you know what grease is that? what grease do you put in after cleaning it?

wallacewt

hi slazmo
never had a clue what a plinth was,
havent got a clue about swarf ;D

Slazmo

Quote from: Slazmo on March 13, 2015, 01:07:52 PM
Quote from: maka on March 13, 2015, 07:39:40 AM
Thank you Slazmo!

I think shimano use their own branded grease (or re branded grease or one they get made for them). Very smooth and low NLGI that's why it just migrates away, nothing I can say definitively about its composition or even a msds or data sheet...

I use Mercury 2-4-C and in varying amounts for different applications around the reel and especially on drive gears and bearings.
And without forgetting I use Inox greases and oils also. I only use their products and nothing else. I trust them too much to try anything else!

I thin it down with Inox MX3 oil as needed in particular to reduce its weight and tackiness but not too much.

Swarf could be said to be machinery fallout / tooling fragments or general rubbish accompanying the manufacturing process during the building of each individual reel.

I find this swarf in new reels and in reels after their service intervals have been reached, metallic fragments needn't be removed as greases just hold this all in suspension and recycle them around the internals and that's why I stress "cleanliness is next to godliness - with machines"...

Bryan Young

For my new spinners, I would spray in CorrosionX HD in the reel and pack the bearings with CorrosionX HD (open the bearings and spray CorrosionX HD in the bearing and reseal the bearing...and call it a day.  I have not found thus far that CorrosionX HD reacts negatively with any grease used in the reels.

For ARBs, I either dunk them in CorrosionX, TSI301, or a blend of CorrosionX and TSI321 (4:1 ratio) and blow or drip out the excess
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maka

Quote from: maka on March 13, 2015, 07:39:40 AM
Thank you Slazmo!

I think shimano use their own branded grease (or re branded grease or one they get made for them). Very smooth and low NLGI that's why it just migrates away, nothing I can say definitively about its composition or even a msds or data sheet...

I use Mercury 2-4-C and in varying amounts for different applications around the reel and especially on drive gears and bearings.
And without forgetting I use Inox greases and oils also. I only use their products and nothing else. I trust them too much to try anything else!

I thin it down with Inox MX3 oil as needed in particular to reduce its weight and tackiness but not too much.

Swarf could be said to be machinery fallout / tooling fragments or general rubbish accompanying the manufacturing process during the building of each individual reel.

I find this swarf in new reels and in reels after their service intervals have been reached, metallic fragments needn't be removed as greases just hold this all in suspension and recycle them around the internals and that's why I stress "cleanliness is next to godliness - with machines"...

in comparison with the "oem" grease,what's your impression about the Mercury in terms of smoothness?

mike1010

Quote from: wallacewt on March 13, 2015, 08:24:08 AM
hi slazmo
never had a clue what a plinth was,
havent got a clue about swarf ;D

Swarf is schmutz of mechanical origins. ;D

Slazmo

Quote from: maka on March 13, 2015, 02:06:26 PMin comparison with the "oem" grease,what's your impression about the Mercury in terms of smoothness?

Shimano grease is like that girl you know and visit every now and again, however doesn't want a relationship at all.

Merc 2-4-C is like that clingy girl you know and you have to take out a AVO against.

maka

Quote from: Slazmo on March 14, 2015, 11:23:26 AM
Quote from: maka on March 13, 2015, 02:06:26 PMin comparison with the "oem" grease,what's your impression about the Mercury in terms of smoothness?

Shimano grease is like that girl you know and visit every now and again, however doesn't want a relationship at all.

Merc 2-4-C is like that clingy girl you know and you have to take out a AVO against.

lol
is this the one?

http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|10918|2303326|2303327&id=179641