Under Gear Delrin

Started by JC, March 14, 2015, 11:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on March 14, 2015, 12:58:35 PM
JC, the term is thick.

Tiddler, Yes, .031" (.87mm) and .020" (.6mm) thick...think metric.

I've been cutting some washers the major OD and some the minor OD of the gear sleeve and so far have not seen problems with restricting the AR dogs.   I put 3 .020" (.6mm) Delrin washers in my narrowed 113H and the washer between the star and the spacer makes the star turn much smoother/easier. 

So Lee, three delrin  washers in there? 1- under the main gear(same size as the drag washer??) 2- on top of the drag stack( minor OD??) 3- between the star and spacer(OD???). Are you also doing this same config. On smaller penn's.?? Like say the jigmasters and 112H's. Just wanting to know I'm in the process of updating to delrin in all my reels.

Dwight, thanks for the info on the Newell's. I'm also going through all my Newell's at this time. What OD and how many??

Thanks guys,
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I'm out of the smaller washers but that's the current plan.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Lee -1000 is also easier than 1760 :D

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on March 14, 2015, 04:19:35 PM
I'm out of the smaller washers but that's the current plan.

Do you gain anything if the washer under the star is a larger OD? Or is it sufficient to have say...a 1mm larger than the spacer OD. And I know Sal was using the Belleville type delrin on top of the drag stack on the jigmaster/112H sets. Have you tried this washer on the 113h and larger penn's??just wondering??

Newell Nut

Quote from: BMITCH on March 14, 2015, 04:00:13 PM
Quote from: Keta on March 14, 2015, 12:58:35 PM
JC, the term is thick.

Tiddler, Yes, .031" (.87mm) and .020" (.6mm) thick...think metric.

I've been cutting some washers the major OD and some the minor OD of the gear sleeve and so far have not seen problems with restricting the AR dogs.   I put 3 .020" (.6mm) Delrin washers in my narrowed 113H and the washer between the star and the spacer makes the star turn much smoother/easier. 

So Lee, three delrin  washers in there? 1- under the main gear(same size as the drag washer??) 2- on top of the drag stack( minor OD??) 3- between the star and spacer(OD???). Are you also doing this same config. On smaller penn's.?? Like say the jigmasters and 112H's. Just wanting to know I'm in the process of updating to delrin in all my reels.

Dwight, thanks for the info on the Newell's. I'm also going through all my Newell's at this time. What OD and how many??

Thanks guys,
Bob

I use the same OD as the 300 series drag washers on all Newells for the delrin.

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 14, 2015, 04:59:34 PM
Lee -1000 is also easier than 1760 :D

Yup....but I don't convert.

Quote from: BMITCH on March 14, 2015, 05:23:41 PM

Do you gain anything if the washer under the star is a larger OD? Or is it sufficient to have say...a 1mm larger than the spacer OD. And I know Sal was using the Belleville type Delrin on top of the drag stack on the jigmaster/112H sets. Have you tried this washer on the 113h and larger penn's??just wondering??

I only had 1 of the Delrin Bellville washers and it was for type A gearsleeve, it's in a Mag 210 I'm using this year for Chinook.   On reels from the 113H and up I think metal Bellville washers work well and will keep them.   

As of now the Delrin washers under the stars of my 113H and 349H are all full size but some with the "proper" OD are being cut.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 14, 2015, 12:23:57 PM
Jeremy, the .31" gets you close to the original, but the .20" lowers the gear a little, a good thing is you want a little more travel with the star. The size difference is so little that it really doesn't matter much, it's just personal preference.
Try these:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2636T14

Just as good as the Black, but might be a little easier to punch or cut. I like them both, Black and Brown.

Sal

I'm with Sal on this one. I find the brown to be muucchh smoother and it has a more wear resistant surface.

BMITCH

Thanks for the input guy's. Off to cut some washers ;)

steelfish

would someone explain me without been much technical, the difference on using delrin washer or CF washer under the main gear
I understand one acts like bearing and CF as friction

but didnt we want friction there to help the main drag stack?
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

This was explained  before. The best answer I could give you is for you to try to compare the two and let us know your results. I don't mean testing by turning the handle, go fish with it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 02, 2015, 08:02:50 PM
This was explained  before. ...

Well I like to learn theory before practice, so I know What to expect on my field test.
Could you Link a thread Where to read about That comparation.?
I really searched before asking here but no goal
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Research is nice but don't always give the full story. The bottom line, you need to like it after using it.
The information on Delrin is all over the place, try this, it should give you an idea:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=11443.msg110694#msg110694
I have fished with the Delrin in my reels and I can definitely say that it makes the reel much smoother, especially under stress.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

that thread looks full of good info, thanks Sal.

alex
The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

SmoothDrag has a bunch of Delrin washer available I Newell and Penn reel sizes.  Very reasonable.  Send her a message and I'm sure she can help you out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D