Penn 60 parts interchange with 500?

Started by pyros46290, March 16, 2015, 04:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pyros46290

Hey guys a buddy of mine was given a long beach 60 recently that he plans on using for sturgeon here in SF bay. (the 60 wouldnt be my first choice, but it will work) It needs to be serviced and I told him i would take care of it for him. Kinda want to surprise him with a few upgrades, new drag washers, gear sleeve, maybe a new handle (its loose). I was going through my box of penn stuff from my past projects and i found a brand new, never used bridge/sleeve assembly that i had forgotten about. I am pretty sure its from my 500 jigmaster, the gear sleeve is the fine threaded version..... is it for jigmaster? only other thing i would have ordered it for is my 113 senator. There are no identifying markings that i can tell to indentify part/model number.

He needs a new gear sleeve anyway (handle mounting rounded off a bit), can i drop this whole bridge/sleeve into the 60, and just order the fine threaded drag star for it to work? Or is the bridge different? I think the gear sleeve is the same as the jigmaster (minus the fine threads). Will it work?

Any other upgrades i can do to the drag while i am at it? Or can this reel only fit the 3 ht100s and the one under the main gear?

alantani

here is the schematic for the long beach 60.  https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/60.pdf  the original gear sleeve is a 98-60 coarse thread, the same as an old jigmaster.  you can use the 98-505 brass gear sleeve with the fine thread star.   a "1+3" penn ht-100 drag kit is $5.  penn makes a 24-56 power handle that works great.  that is the most i would do at this point.  don't install a stainless steel gear sleeve until you know for sure that the old spool will not explode on you.  

so, go through and thoroughly lube the reel on the inside, replace the gear sleeve and drag washers and install the original handle, then fish with it.  after a couple of trips, look at a power handle.  then fish with it a little more.  then let's see if he still likes the reel or if he wants something else.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

A fishing spring scale would be a bad idea either for setting the drag; the "loose" handle could be an indicator that the old gear sleeve got rounded going past 8lbs of drag. If your buddy finds that 8lbs isn't cutting it, then it might be time to kick it up a notch...

pyros46290

well he was recently given the reel from somebody, so he does not really know the history of it. 8# drag? seems a little low for sturgeon use. retreive is a bit slow too. maybe have him use this as a rockfish/lingcod jigging reel and get him something else for the sturgeon. my upgraded jigmaster is a sturgeon stomper for sure. that reel is good for almost anything

Keta

3:1 is a good speed for many applications. 

Bryan has/had 5+1 drag kits for the 5-60 main gear, they work well.  A 60 is a good 30# reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: pyros46290 on March 16, 2015, 03:08:48 PM
well he was recently given the reel from somebody, so he does not really know the history of it. 8# drag? seems a little low for sturgeon use. retreive is a bit slow too. maybe have him use this as a rockfish/lingcod jigging reel and get him something else for the sturgeon. my upgraded jigmaster is a sturgeon stomper for sure. that reel is good for almost anything

The 8lbs limit is with the brass gear sleeve itself: 1/4 the way down on this page: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=20.0.

If the 1/4 rule is applied then 8lbs translates to 32lb which falls in place with the "30lb reel" rating. Pushing up to 10lbs for the 1/3 rule will be in the realm of the SS gear sleeve.

Alto Mare

Quote from: pyros46290 on March 16, 2015, 03:08:48 PM
That 60 might do better than the Jigmaster. To me the gears could take more abuse, don't go by the smaller diameter on the main gear., teeth are the same on both, but the pinion is better on the 60...if you find a steel one.
Replace the washer for under the gear with an Acetal washer and I'm sure you will do just fine at 15lbs with both.
The ss gear sleeve is always a good upgrade.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.