Penn Intl 50 - old style

Started by UKChris, March 16, 2015, 02:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UKChris

Took apart two of the old style International 50 at the weekend - the ones with the chrome spacer bars and the doughnut drag washers. Apart from a few scratches on the outside, they looked fine and inside there was (almost) no problem. One spool has a loss of anodising where the line has sat for too long and a scratch on the spool core but I plan to cover those marks with some gold paint  ;D The other is as new  :)

All of the screws, bearings and other parts are now completely clean (paraffin soak and toothbrush) and ready for re-assembly (Lucas Marine blue grease).

But, one of the reels had only three Bellville washers  :o and a plain ole flat washer, so it is no wonder the drag profile was 'odd'.

In looking up the schematics, it seems there are three part numbers for Bellevilles for 50-size Internatioanls: 18-50, 18-50W and 18-50TW. The original 50 seems to have had two thin and two slightly thicker Bellville washers according to the one that has all four in place, but does anyone know the correct part numbers since the original 50 reel would have been out before the 50W was designed and so the 50 could not have had 50W washers.

The old 50 schematics just say 18-50 but, as I said, the reel appears to use two thick and two thin ones.

Or should I just buy a selection of all three and play with them? I suspect the existing ones might have lost some 'spring' over the years.

alantani

one of the problems with these older reels is trying to get the drag range right.  sometimes you really do just have to play with it until you get it right.  you could get lucky the first time, or it would be very frustrating......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

I would buy a selection of Belleville spring washers.  You just have to play with it sometimes to get the drag range you need.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

I would order 4 of the 18-50W
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-50W.aspx

These are the thinner, light Bellevilles.

And 2 of the heavier ones 18-50TW
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/18-50TW.aspx

Also may want to get a few (3) of 0.3mm thick shims.  

You mentioned that the reel had the orgional donut drag washer, you may want to consider upgrading to the CF duradisc for around $36 with a 117-DN50.  

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/117DN-50.aspx

For the updrade.

Basically, you will just need to play around with the Belleville configuration and spacing until you get the performance that you are looking for.  I would recommend trying the lightest config first...4 thin like ()(). You may want to read my long-winded International thread for some tips...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.0

If you havn't already done so.  Good luck!

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

UKChris

Thank you all, very helpful (as always).

I'm sure there ought to be a way of predicting this by measuring the hight of a belleville stack and measuring (somehow) the distance the cam pushes when the level is moved from free to strike to full. But until I work that one out, I'll get a bundle of assorted springs and do the trial and error thing.

Upgrading the drags isn't going to be high on the list as the original washers are in good condition and yet buying the alternatives in the UK is going to take time and effort. These reels are unlikely to see heavy use; I plan to use all the best shiny bits on one (for me!) and all the scratched bits on the other (for the other guy!!)

Cheers,

UKChris

Well, I found time to re-assemble one of the two 50 reels using the best combination of the belleville washers I had from the two. All bearings re-packed with Lucas Marine blue goo and everything cleaned to perfection (apart from some spool corrosion that I think will need some more attention).

Works like a dream - much better than when I bought it. Without this site I would never have tried this though I'm happy with any star-drag reel to date -so thanks everyone for the freely given advice and the confidence to get started.

Now going to buy all the parts to put the second 50 into full working order (Mick Symmons in the man for these bits in the UK) - bearings already packed and everything clean as a whistle and pretty much half assembled. No significant corrosion on this one but not good enough for a 'shelf queen' so will be my user.

Tightlines667

I'm glad to hear you got the reels all cleaned up, and the one completed.  Sounds like you decided to keep both reels with the origional donute style drags?  Keep us posted on the progress.
Hope springs eternal

UKChris

Indeed, I'm keeping the original drags as they work well enough and to upgrade both adds significantly to the costs.
Both reassembles and back in working order. Most importantly, I now have full confidence in them as I know the right bits are in the right place.

thorhammer

Chris, what did you end up doing with the spool corrosion? Paint or no paint? I'm working and 80 in similar condition; I'm wet sanding the white crap off and will then rinse with DI to remove any remaining salt. I was going to clear-coat but if you found a satisactory paint I'd love to know it.

thanks!

John

Tightlines667

Quote from: thorhammer on February 10, 2016, 08:45:24 PM
Chris, what did you end up doing with the spool corrosion? Paint or no paint? I'm working and 80 in similar condition; I'm wet sanding the white crap off and will then rinse with DI to remove any remaining salt. I was going to clear-coat but if you found a satisactory paint I'd love to know it.

thanks!

John

If it is an 80W and you are considering replacing, I do have a NOS 29M-80W available.

However, I do not have an 80W stand, or posts (which would be needed alono with the pinion) in order to convert  from 80 to 80W.

John

Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

Thanks John, but its a std width. Can you recco drag upgrade tho?

thorhammer

Nemmemind!! Just cracked the spool...as bad as it looked on the outside, someone had serviced it at some point and put in new carbon fiber drags which are still in perfect shape, bearings good too!! Cal's em up and slapped back together!!!

foakes

Nice to get lucky once in a while, John!

My Grandma used to like to say -- "even a blind hog gets an apple once in a while".

Not comparing you with a pig -- but I can relate...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

thorhammer

That's funny, Fred...we used to hear "The sun shines on every dog's butt once in a awhile"....

mizmo67

Generational part changes.

18-50 was discontinued and replaced by the 18-50W per Penn

And then the 18-50TW thicker washer was offered as an option for those older reels.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com