Squidder 140 head plate and ring removal and fix...

Started by Mattman NZ, March 23, 2015, 07:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Hi guys - I had a scrounge through one of my spare parts box's and had a few Squidder tail and head plates and one red head plate was just about mint apart from the chrome ring - It had been pushed out slightly where the bottom edge of the chrome meets the plate - the ring had three cracks below each of the locking pins - The plate had swelled out that much I couldn't get it into the outer ring of the frame let alone turn it .
Ring removal = had to make a small punch out of a steel nail - used a file with the nail in the drill press and case hardened the end in kasenit - Some tool steel for the main locking pins X3 and the ring pins made out of steel nails slightly thicker than the original pins X6. Only had to give these little pins X4 a wee tap just enough to clear the chrome inside edge .
The ring fell out easy and got the good ring out off another head plate that had a stuffed bearing housing .See pics.

And the cracks by the locking pins .

The pin punch

Getting ready to punch the pins in.

All done.

More to follow - having pc troubles and last three pics are from a 500 jigmaster I done last week because the pics ;D I took of the Squidder turned out that bad I couldn't use them but you'll get the idea .

Mattman NZ

Back to the Squidder - Tool I reshaped to remove the main locking pins and heated pins with a soldering iron for about 4-5 seconds - griped pin with tool and twist and pull -They came out easy also. And the replacement ring .

Replacement pins.

Turning the plate edge so its square in the drill press.

And a test fit still a bit tight.

Mattman NZ

Roughened up inside of the new plate with the dremal and glued it on with Acraglas bedding compound and left it for 24 hours.

Marked the new 6 holes with the dremal and drilled the holes in the drill press.

Time to glue and fit the main locking pins.

Test fit in the outer frame ring .

Now for the small pins X6.

Ground pins down flush with the ring.

And another test fit in the outer ring .

A dry test with all the internals inside .

All lubed up ready to fish and to think the plates have been in the bin for over a year .

Enjoy

Regds

Matt...

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Good work, Matt --

Thanks for showing so clearly.

Obviously could work on a Jigmaster, also.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Wow, thank you Matt.  Very well though out and informative.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna