squidder gears issue

Started by bestout, March 20, 2015, 03:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Usually a weird sound while in free spool means bad bearings.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2015, 03:54:43 PM
It will be a systematic process...

First, take the main gear, lay it down an a piece of sand paper that is on a very flat surface...like glass., and sand away the rolled burrs in the main gear and try that out.

Second, replace the yoke.  The yoke may be too loose on the pinion gear

Third, Check the bearing size and operation of the bearings (size for alignment)

Fourth, check the bridge gear sleeve post to make sure it's solid, does not wobble or turn

Fifth, replace the gear set (both main and pinion gears)

If any of that does not fix it, it may very well be due to the tolerances of the reel that the gears are not sitting as tight as it was designed to.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bestout

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 20, 2015, 04:18:50 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2015, 03:54:43 PM
It will be a systematic process...

First, take the main gear, lay it down an a piece of sand paper that is on a very flat surface...like glass., and sand away the rolled burrs in the main gear and try that out.

Second, replace the yoke.  The yoke may be too loose on the pinion gear

Third, Check the bearing size and operation of the bearings (size for alignment)

Fourth, check the bridge gear sleeve post to make sure it's solid, does not wobble or turn

Fifth, replace the gear set (both main and pinion gears)

If any of that does not fix it, it may very well be due to the tolerances of the reel that the gears are not sitting as tight as it was designed to.

Thanks Bryan. well the fourth came into my mind. i see that i has a little play. but then so does my both jigmaster.
The monsters in my head are scared......

Bryan Young

the slightest in and out play is normal, but up, down, front, and back play is not normal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bestout

Thanks for all the help after trying so many things.  I took my jigmaster pinion gear and compare it to the squidder and the were the same they measure 0.405 in  so i was like maybe this fits well it did fit and now its smooth as butter.  With the squidder yoke.  Btw the jigmaster pinion has no play at all with thr yoke compare to the one that was there.  So now my doubt its should i order a jigmaster or a squidder pinion. I could not try the yoke cause it doesnt fit.

Alto Mare

Quote from: bestout on March 20, 2015, 06:09:22 PM
Thanks for all the help after trying so many things.  I took my jigmaster pinion gear and compare it to the squidder and the were the same they measure 0.405 in  so i was like maybe this fits well it did fit and now its smooth as butter.  With the squidder yoke.  Btw the jigmaster pinion has no play at all with thr yoke compare to the one that was there.  So now my doubt its should i order a jigmaster or a squidder pinion. I could not try the yoke cause it doesnt fit.
The Squidders and Jigmasters share the same pinion, the reason they have different part numbers is that the Jigmaster's pinion is drilled at the bottomso it could slide over the bushing.
You could install a jigmaster's pinion on the Squidder, ,but you couldn't install the Squidder's pinion on the Jigmaster.
On another note, from the looks of that main gear, I'm surprised that another pinion worked, usually when that bad, they wouldn't mesh. :-\
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i just put a main gear, a pinion gear and a yoke in the mail to you.  the parts are used but they look fine and feel ok.  give them a try and let me know.  thanks!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bestout

Quote from: alantani on March 20, 2015, 09:18:20 PM
i just put a main gear, a pinion gear and a yoke in the mail to you.  the parts are used but they look fine and feel ok.  give them a try and let me know.  thanks!  alan
TYVM Alan

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

otghoyt

Alto Mare

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 20, 2015, 09:49:54 PM
Problem solved. next!
Yup! problem solved, but it is good to investigate on what caused it ;).
Quote from: WOTHoyt on March 20, 2015, 10:46:22 PM
3.8:1 Squidder gears  ;D
What are you saying? I don't get it.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2015, 10:53:19 PM
Problem solved. next!

Yup, I've seen brass gears like that and worse but they were from reels that were used for large Pacific halibut.  Bronze is a better material for gears.  The yoke damage I have never seen but it looks like the pinion gear was wobbling on the spool shaft.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bestout

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2015, 10:53:19 PM
Problem solved. next!
Quote from: WOTHoyt on March 20, 2015, 10:46:22 PM
3.8:1 Squidder gears  ;D
What are you saying? I don't get it.
forgot to mention what cause that? well i was on a jetty and caught a around 70lb blacktip was huge when he jumped and that was it by half way the reel didnt feel right. So i end up cutting the line. Was fishing for spanish mackarel. :'( :'( :'(

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2015, 10:58:40 PM
The yoke damage I have never seen but it looks like the pinion gear was wobbling on the spool shaft.
I have many in a box somewhere, not as bad as the one above, but bad enough that needed rto be replaced... Normal wear to me.

That would do it bestout. For that size reel, only a Penn would give you a chance to see that shark.

Keta

Do you think frame flex caused the damage Sal?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain