squidder gears issue

Started by bestout, March 20, 2015, 03:38:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

So it feels like sandy when cranking and on freespool make a weird sound.

The monsters in my head are scared......

Keta

Could you resize the photo so it's easier to see?  If you can't may I do it for you?

Look at the top edge of the main gear in the photo, your gear is trashed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

bestout

Quote from: Keta on March 20, 2015, 03:51:17 AM
Could you resize the photo so it's easier to see?  If you can't may I do it for you?

Look at the top edge of the main gear in the photo, your gear is trashed.
you can please thanks

Shark Hunter

That yoke is shot too. Its all chewed up. You are going to need a Main and pinion gear, plus the yoke.
The squidder uses a 5-60 main gear, a 13-140 pinion and a 12-155 yoke.
The main gear and yoke are pretty common and used in a lot of other reels, but the pinion is only used on a couple.
Life is Good!

bestout

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 20, 2015, 03:59:21 AM
That yoke is shot too. Its all chewed up. You are going to need a Main and pinion gear, plus the yoke.
The squidder uses a 5-60 main gear, a 13-140 pinion and a 12-155 yoke.
The main gear and yoke are pretty common and used in a lot of other reels, but the pinion is only used on a couple.
Thanks for the info.
Is it normal for the pinion to have alot of play on the spool shaft?

Shark Hunter

No its not. Sounds like maybe the wrong pinion might be in there and chewed up the yoke and main gear. That, or those gears are just totally worn out. What model of squidder do you have?
You can really mix and match a lot of gears and parts in these smaller penn's.
Hopefully your spool isn't toast as well.
Life is Good!

bestout

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 20, 2015, 05:27:09 AM
No its not. Sounds like maybe the wrong pinion might be in there and chewed up the yoke and main gear. That, or those gears are just totally worn out. What model of squidder do you have?
You can really mix and match a lot of gears and parts in these smaller penn's.
Hopefully your spool isn't toast as well.
Its a 140 squidder.  I dont see nothing wrong with the spool.  But now i have doubts

Shark Hunter

As long as the spool shafts on either end look OK. IE, not chewed up or scarred. I think just the three parts is all your going to need to get it going again. Main, Pinion and yoke.
This is a bearing reel. I would tear it down and clean everything up. Then re oil the bearings and put in the new gears. You need any help. just ask.
Life is Good!

bestout

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 20, 2015, 05:48:45 AM
As long as the spool shafts on either end look OK. IE, not chewed up or scarred. I think just the three parts is all your going to need to get it going again. Main, Pinion and yoke.
This is a bearing reel. I would tear it down and clean everything up. Then re oil the bearings and put in the new gears. You need any help. just ask.
Ok will do thanks for the help

Alto Mare

By looking at the pic above, I can't determine if your gears are shot or not. I know Lee did, but I don't see it.
The yoke is normal wear, I've replaced many of the same. The pinion being a little loose is also normal, but I wouldn't know how loose it is from where I'm sitting.
I'm going to recommend you get yourself a new handle side bearing:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-140.aspx
Those can't be opened for cleaning, a $1 yoke and see where that takes you.
If you still need a new set of gears, all is not lost. I'm thinking a new bearing and yoke might do though.

Sal

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

It was easier to see in the oversize photo.  Fixing the lower cost items first is a good idea.

Look at the displaced metal on the gear teeth, it's easiest to see where I put the lines.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

How were you able to zoom that close and keeping it clear? Looks like bestout will need a new set of gears.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

The photo was high resolution and huge, this is 1/3 size and cropped.

Mark Twain

bestout

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 20, 2015, 10:56:25 AM
By looking at the pic above, I can't determine if your gears are shot or not. I know Lee did, but I don't see it.
The yoke is normal wear, I've replaced many of the same. The pinion being a little loose is also normal, but I wouldn't know how loose it is from where I'm sitting.
I'm going to recommend you get yourself a new handle side bearing:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/26-140.aspx
Those can't be opened for cleaning, a $1 yoke and see where that takes you.
If you still need a new set of gears, all is not lost. I'm thinking a new bearing and yoke might do though.

Sal

the bearings are fine i guess it just the wrost when i crank. i have manage to free spool for a good 30 seconds

bestout

I just saw the pinion they have on Scotts and its a different kind o.O.
here its a better picture of the pinion.

On the second picture theres a play between the yoke and the pinion its that normal.?

On the last picture theres a gap between the ring and the teeth