But, but, but, this isn't a cod. It's a halibut!

Started by trond_solem, March 21, 2015, 12:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on March 22, 2015, 02:55:50 PM
Fish hooked back from the head can not be turned so they can fight more effectively.  I watched a friend land a 160# yellowfin that was snagged in the side about 1/2 way back, and with a circle hook????  The captain thought he has a supper cow and chased the fish, something I had never seen done with a 105' boat.  The only foul hooked fish I've hooked were salmon and steelhead, I'd rather cut my line than mess with a foul hooked one, we can not keep snagged ones anyway.

Were you using Circle hooks or J hooks Trond?  I was told by a old Norsk commercial longliner friend in Alaska that C hooks were invented in Norway.

We can keep all fish above the minimum size, so we use big J hooks and triple hooks when fishing. If we set a line with 20-50 hooks and bait, we use circle hooks as they seem to work better for that application.

It did put up a fight. Even with the 9/0 reel it took 4 runs down to the bottom so fast that I got sprayed with salt water from the spool.
After the 4.th run, it was out of energy. The rest was quite easy.

The image shows the fish after I hauled it into the boat. You can see the pilker with the 6/0  triple hook in the back of the fish.

Keta

Looks like you were using iron.  How deep were you fishing?

Here's my go to butt rigs,

Home made butt iron in progress,

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Nice Pacific butt caught on my 113HN Tank,  The guy in the middle is a retired by injury pro basketball player and Olympian and is over 7' tall.  I'm not even close to that tall, notice he's setting down, and even have to look up to Sal and Dominic.

My son and his first butt caught in the Graveyard of the Pacific, off of the Columbia River.  Ignore the red, it was to show where the glands are.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on March 22, 2015, 03:26:49 PM
Looks like you were using iron.  How deep were you fishing?

The 400 gram pilker is actually cast lead. It's triangular with one side curved. This makes it dance when dropping down.
It's painted with fluo paint.
I used the 400 gram version of this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-4-SANGER-Norge-Pilker-Bergmann-fluo-250g-300g-400g-500g-/151625488726?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item234d955956

I use this for cod fishing. When I go for halibut, I use big fluo jigs.
I have several like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinetic-Fishing-Giant-Jig-Head-450gram-SeaWaver-Lures-/181059911243?pt=UK_BOI_Packing_Postal_Supplies_Labels_LE&var=&hash=item2a2802fe4b

I was fishing in 70 meters (230 ft) deep water when I hooked the halibut. I am told that they often get halibuts there during winter - early spring.
During the summer they are often found at 10-30 meters depth around here.

trond_solem

Nice halibuts!
I hope to catch one like those this summer.

Keta

Quote from: trond_solem on March 22, 2015, 04:57:26 PM

The 400 gram pilker is actually cast lead. It's triangular with one side curved. This makes it dance when dropping down.
It's painted with fluo paint.

We call them "iron" here no matter what they are made out of.

The butt come shallower here (Oregon) in the summer too but we fish 600'-800' (180m-240m) during the spring openings.  In Alaska we seldom fished deeper than 20 fathoms unless targeting large fish.  Is fathoms easier for you than our messed up messed up measuring system?  It is for me.

I plan on prospecting shallow water butt spots this summer by trolling over the flats between reefs.

I hope you are successful this summer.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

I mostly fished 300Gr. - 9oz for Cod if the tide & drift was easy. I have fished up to 26oz Iron AkA Jigs when the tide is howling. My favorite Iron is the Soverkin [sorry I can't spell this name] they are S S  & made in Norway. I still have some 21oz Jigs here. There isn't any Cod even close to what was once was.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

Quote from: bluefish69 on March 22, 2015, 07:17:43 PM
My favorite Iron is the Soverkin [sorry I can't spell this name.]

Solvkroken Svenskepilk Rustfri Stainless Steel Cod Jig...  Yep, one awesome fish-catcher!   :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Keta

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

Thanks Aiala for the spelling. I gave the Mate on the Brooklyn VI  2 of the longer 9oz Jigs they were going for Tuna. He said that they never hit bottom the Tuna were all over them. They have a nice flutter action.

Lee you can add another hook on top if you like.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Keta

I always cut the bottom hooks off and replace them with assist hooks.

Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Using Irons is something Im actually just getting into. The catch seems so much more gratifing on an iron then a live bait.

trond_solem

Quote from: Aiala on March 22, 2015, 10:58:57 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on March 22, 2015, 07:17:43 PM
My favorite Iron is the Soverkin [sorry I can't spell this name.]

Solvkroken Svenskepilk Rustfri Stainless Steel Cod Jig...  Yep, one awesome fish-catcher!   :D

~A~

Svenskepilk is a real killer. Works for almost all fish in the ocean. It is also called Bergman pilker. Same thing.
I have them in blank as this one, with holographic patten, fluo, blue and yellow and so on.
In addition I have other shapes and colors.
I use a short (2 meters) mono line with two hooks before this iron. The hooks may be rubber occtopus, rubber worms, white feathers and so on.
Live bait isn't allowed here so we don't use that.

Octopus : http://www.ebay.com/itm/371221277971
These are cod killers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gummi-Makk-Meeresangeln-Meereskoder-Norwegen-Island-Behr-Beifanger-/380504126389