Spring has Sprung and...

Started by ChileRelleno, March 29, 2015, 10:01:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Spring has sprung and the fishing is heating up!
Trips to my favorite pier, Gulf State Park Pier, in Gulf Shores, AL this Sat and last Sat.
Last Sat we got skunked, we were fishing for Sheepshead and Reds... But Kings & a few Lings were what was biting.
Alas we hadn't any frozen Cigar Minnows & no live bait was to be had.
The Kings & Lings were the first of the year, a major breaking of the ice.
And to have both species caught on the same day, not to mention multiple catches of each, bodes well for the season.

Yesterday, was a little on the slow side, but perseverance paid off.
Sheepies were slow but steady, and we put eight in our cooler.
Spanish fired up for awhile, they were hitting hard on size #16 Sabikis and Mackerel trees.
All sorts of Gotchas/spoons were yielding too, but not as hot.
We put 27 in our cooler, then gave eight away to a buddy who wasn't as lucky.
Another eight Spanish went into the freezer for shark bait, as did a couple of sheepshead carcasses.

No Kings or Lings this time, Mother Nature flipped it around, those fishing for them got skunked.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

broschro

ChileRelleno

Broiled Spaniards
There's Cajun...  And then there's Coonass Cajun.

I broiled three trays of fillets for the family
Some were just plain olive oil-n-salt for one picky eater, then there was regular Cajun spiced and finally the Coonass Cajun which I fired up with some serious hellfire.
Man oh man, talk about some seriously good eating, add the sides in and it was a feast.
Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Newell Nut

Nice looking fish and some very good eating for a couple weeks. Lets get some Tuesday Jamie. What do you say?

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff John! Glad to see you on some fish Bro! ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Great report!! Thanks for taking us along :D
luck is the residue of design.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 30, 2015, 12:46:42 AM
Good Stuff John! Glad to see you on some fish Bro! ;)
Hi Daron,
the season has just blasted off here, I'll be fishing every chance I get.
C'mon down and join me, a few days on the pier or beach.
I've a sharking trip planned for first week in June, 2-3 nights on the AL/FL state line.
Ragnar Benson:

Shark Hunter

I might take you up on that. We will see.
Life is Good!

broschro

Nice Cobia!  Dewight that's the plan  ;D

wallacewt

thats pier fishing at its best,nice variety,thanks for posting.

Alto Mare

Great report John, thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: wallacewt on March 30, 2015, 02:02:31 AM
thats pier fishing at its best, *** nice variety ***, thanks for posting.
That right there is what I like best about fishing this pier, the variety.
On any given day mid-March thru October, you can target and have a good chance at about a dozen species.
Tarpon, Cobia, King & Spanish mackerel, Red & Black drum, Flounder, Pompano, Speckled & White trout, Bluefish, Sheepshead, Bonito, Whiting, Ground Mullet, Ladyfish and several species of sharks and rays.
Not to mention all the bait fish species and other non-gamefish.
The Gulfcoast is a fishermans paradise!

Ragnar Benson:

thorhammer

That's outstanding. I just landed in Pennsylvania and I dare say there ain't a Spaniard hitting a Gotcha anywhere to be found.

Bryan Young

Great!  Can't wait for fishing season to begin.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D