Braid amount for Newell G229F

Started by Bill Karr, April 06, 2015, 05:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Karr

I'm probably overthinking this but-
I have a Newell G229 that I want to put on braid and have a 100 yard top shot of 25-30 Lb. mono. The goal is 350 yards total. 300 minimum and 400 max. I have no experience with braid other than on a bottom fishing rig. I'm guessing 60 lb. solid braid will get me there but would appreciate the input of the experts.
Thanks,
Bill
Bill

Tunacious

This is a sticky in this section of the forum which I believe answers your question. See the spreadsheet from the Excel. The 229 is supposed to hold 290 yds of mono...however, that 20 lb line is tournament grade, which is thinner. I believe I get more like 250 yds of 20# BG or Izor.

Also, Newell never changed the stated line capacity since the aluminum spools came standard. The aluminum spools hold much more line...by design.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1836.0

Keta

This is for Jerry Brown hollow 60#,
Weight   Breaking strength             Diameter                  Mono equivalent
 60lb          70lb                     .381mm   .015 inch             20lb
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill Karr

Thanks all,
Using both the Excel and Accurate calculator and BG and XXX diameters, when going from 250 yds. of 20 to 25, mono capacity goes to +/- 200 yds.
With JB 65 hollow I get 178 yds. plus 100 yds. 25 test top shot.
When I go to JB solid 50, I get 244 yds. plus 100 top shot
Interesting that the difference between the two programs was 3 yards of braid! Looks like I need some JB #50 solid! Thanks all
Bill

SoCalAngler

Why not go with a 40 lb braid for the backing? 40 lb should be fine for 25 lb toppers and there are several good 8 strand brands at around .285-.286mm or right around .011in which is 12 lb mono in thickness.

Keta

40# is as low as I like to use but 60# works better for most needs.

bkarr, PM me if you want me to give you a price quote for JB line.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

enfish

I barely got 300 yards of 65 lb solid braid on my G229. I went straight to a short topshot of fluoro on it. There is no room for 100 yards of mono on top of 300 yards of the braid.

SoCalAngler

JB 60 lb hollow is almost twice the thickness of others 40 lb solid 8 strand, so bkarr can get more on the reel which is what he is trying to do. I'm not sure but I think JB 50 solid is a 4 strand or was at one time and I like the feel of 8 strand better. It's hard to get info on JB solid as even Jerry himself does not list its specs and most other places only list the specs on hollow.

I fish JB's Line One on some of my reels and like it but I fish other spectras also for different applications. I'm not knocking JB line just trying to let bkarr know there is other braids for him to look at such as Diawa, Seaguar, ToroTamer, PowerPro but the PP is a little thicker than the others, and I'm sure other lines as well that will get him closer to his goal.

Three se7ens

I like powerpro super 8 for 40 lb and under.  Above that, I prefer daiwa saltiga boat braid for solid line.  Havent been using much hollow lately, but most are pretty close in strength and diameter. 

Heres a great page for comparing different brands of braid.  http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

LTM

Lee: Why do you prefer 60# solid for "most" applications?

SoCal: "I fish JB's Line One on some of my reels and like it but I fish other spectras also for different applications."  Please share your experience/preferences for other brands and why. Im really trying to get a better understanding of applying different braids to different applications.

Thanx,

Leo

Keta

I fish 100 fathoms and deeper and the thinner 60# lets me keep on the bottom with less weight.  Thinner line cuts your hands easier too.  Over 1/2 of my reels are spooled with 60#, some hollow some solid.  I buy line in 2500 yard spools and it's better for me to stock fewer sizes.  I have never lost a fish due to 60# spectra breaking....one to 200# breaking but the line hit the hull with a very large YFT on the end.

Mark Twain

LTM

SoCalAngler

I wrote a long explanation on the subject and then my computer locked up and I lost it all....sorry Leo. I will PM you my phone number and if you want to talk about my thoughts on this you can give me a call because I'm not going to write it all down again and hope my computer does not lock up again. I hate when this happens

Bryan Young

Quote from: SoCalAngler on April 29, 2015, 03:38:22 PM
I wrote a long explanation on the subject and then my computer locked up and I lost it all....sorry Leo. I will PM you my phone number and if you want to talk about my thoughts on this you can give me a call because I'm not going to write it all down again and hope my computer does not lock up again. I hate when this happens
Inquiry minds wants to know....
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

SoCalAngler

I'll paraphrase what I wrote.

Large Diameter Spectra
On larger spooled reels spectra diameter plays less of role than on smaller spool reels because it is much easier to get the yardage you want on them. In fact I may spool a large spool reel with a much heavier spectra in order to keep cost down. I don't need 800-1000 yards of spectra on a reel for the type of fishing I'm doing now.

Thin Diameter Spectra
I now fish much smaller reels, than in years past, that have enough stopping and cranking power to handle larger fish than was thought possible because I'm able to spectra back the reels with enough line. For example on my hot rodded SL20SH I have caught 40-50 lb blue fin tuna no problem and if you took a stock SL20SH and fished strait mono for the same fish you may get lucky and land some but it would be difficult. BFT are very boat shy and many times a100 yard or more soak is needed before your bait will reach the zone where the fish are holding and when bight they can strip another 100 yards in what seems like a blink of an eye and still be going strong. On a stock SL20SH most likely your going to get spooled with strait mono. So, on small spool reels I want the thinnest diameter spectra I can get away with so I can get the yardage I want on the reel.

Hollow Spectra
I use hollow braid on reels that I fish 80 lb and larger topshots on only. This is mainly do to cost but I do like the hollow because it offers me many more options on how I connect my heavier topshots to my spectra. On the lighter test reels I can tie my spectra to my topshot in about the same amount of time it takes people to change out a premade loop to loop topshot. A lot of people like making or buying premade toppers and that is fine but for me I don't really see a need for it until I reach 80 lb and above topshots.

More Strands in The Spectra Weave
In most cases the more strands in the spectra line the smoother the line will feel to the touch. A 8 strand spectra will feel twice as smooth as a 4 strand and so on. I also think the smoother the line feels the less damage it will do to me, my gear, boat and such by cutting or abrasion. Spectra cuts are no fun no matter what but if you had a choice to receive the same type of cut in depth and severity by a serrated knife or a razor blade, which would you choose? For me I'll take the later. Most of all I like the feel of say a 8 strand better than a 4 strand. When you get to hollow spectra rigging more strands are easier to work with in most cases than less. The rigging needle, wire or mono is much easier to thread into a spectra with more weaves. But, not all hollow spectra lines are made alike in weave or tightness of the weave so a little homework is needed to find a good line that will pass a needle or what ever you will be threading into the line.