Rusting in AR Bearing in the Curado 301 E

Started by Nickelplated, April 10, 2015, 02:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seegran

Quote from: Lunker Larry on April 14, 2015, 11:35:40 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on April 13, 2015, 04:35:35 PM
Quote from: seegran on April 13, 2015, 12:30:35 PM
I did this once on my abu 4600 c4, ends of IAR slipping. (back up the line the handles rotate together). I have to flush it out. Now I am getting slips after 2 to 3 hrs of casting(intermittently).

Was there corrosion present originally that you cleaned out? Are you saying that now with lots of lube inside it starts to slip?

1. Corrosion can pit the rollers in an AR bearing and it will never be the same again. Time to replace the bearing.

2. If it is a question of lube, is it very cold where you are fishing? What lube are you using?

I suspect the hot climate is melting the grease you're using and it is running into the ARB. Too much lubrication causes them to slip. What type of grease are you using? Lots of site members here used to setting reels up for the hot climates.

Cals grease.
I noticed there are two holes in the brake plate, possible to add a dog ratchet (pawl) in one of the holes?

Yes and it is possible to get a post to fit, but not from Pure Fishing America.  Sportfiske in Sweden does sell them individually.  Ken D describes the manner of affixing it to the brakebridge in a post on mikesreelrepair forum.  It involves using both a centerpin and a flat punch.