Rusting in AR Bearing in the Curado 301 E

Started by Nickelplated, April 10, 2015, 02:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickelplated

I've been fishing with this Curado 301 E model for couple years now down in Baja, Mexico, where I do a lot of wade fishing from the shore. I've taken care of my reels religiously, end of each day I take apart my reel and clean them up. I'd somewhat super tune the reel by putting Boca orange seals spool bearings and smooth carbon drags. Grease all of the inside of the gear housing as I seen on this website with Yamaha Marine Grease. I used the TSI 321 oil on the spool bearings. Here the kicker... My AR bearing would rust up after the second or third day of hard use. I can't figured out where all this water that come into the gear housing. Its full of water droplets inside every time when I open it up. I've never grease the AR Bearing afraid its would start slipping. So I put on light coat of TSI 321 on the AR bearings. In the past, I usually fish with ABU Garcia 6500 C3, never once had the AR bearings rust up, after 15 years fishing with it. But I love fishing with the Curado the best, due to I can cast farther and nicer to be able to palm the reel, also has a lot of power reeling in a fish. I also want to say that I never dunk my reel in the ocean. I have to say I've been lucky I haven't fallen in the ocean with my rod and reel in my hands. :) I'm thinking that the water either migrate in by the spool shaft or through the turn handle drive shaft? I know a lot mist comes off the reel every time you cast, it coats whole reel with salt water, especially when the wind blow toward you. It something that you can't avoid. One time I even tried plug all the weep holes on the bottom of the reel with grease to see if that solve the problem, it the same amount of water droplets inside of the reel. Is this normal for Shimano Curados reels. I'm a little frustrated now. >:( I replace this AR bearing three times now. I'm hoping that someone can give me some preventive tips on this.

alantani

flood it with TSI and then cap it off with grease to keep out the water.  that's really all you can do.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Whenever these reels (or others like them) are set down the rest on their handle side...perfect way to collect any saltwater in the reel in the AR bearing.

As Alan said, a good anti-corrosion oil then plenty of grease on the gear and handle sides is all you can do.

These types of clutches with small nylon springs tolerate grease well, just use a light one that isn't too sticky.

With a marine grease you will get perfect protection...as long as you replace the grease frequently (basically anytime you see it discolored by water).

Nickelplated

Thank you Alan and John for your help. Another question, when you mean cap off it with grease. Do you mean on each end of the bearing housing or inside the roller bearing? What grease do you recommend for that application? I just wanted make sure I do this right so I don't have to worry about the AR bearing start slipping while I'm fighting a fish.  ;)

Brendan

Because you worry and do what you do, I think you have already won the battle. You think about what can happen and take preventative measures. I own the reel but do not fish it as hard as most that I own so I have not seen that issue.
Tight lines, Brendan.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Nickelplated on April 11, 2015, 01:48:59 AM
Thank you Alan and John for your help. Another question, when you mean cap off it with grease. Do you mean on each end of the bearing housing or inside the roller bearing? What grease do you recommend for that application? I just wanted make sure I do this right so I don't have to worry about the AR bearing start slipping while I'm fighting a fish.  ;)

Once you oil the bearing and put a squirt on the sleeve that goes in it (the one "keyed" to the shaft) just be sure that the washers on the gear side have plenty of grease and on the handle side you can generously grease everything from the bearing on out.

Slipping is the least of your worries though some loss of max, max holding power of the bearing may result. Typically too small to notice except in very cold weather (not your concern). I would not pack the bearing with grease and little from outside it will get in there so you can be generous. Cold weather guys have to be more concerned.

Any marine grease will do.

One of the problems with rust you are having is that you may have lost some of the chrome finish on the rollers exposing less corrosion resistant metal underneath. Regardless, with oil and grease (if it still works) you can protect it from salt.

Quote from: Nickelplated on April 10, 2015, 02:30:42 AM
My AR bearing would rust up after the second or third day of hard use. Its full of water droplets inside every time when I open it up. In the past, I usually fish with ABU Garcia 6500 C3, never once had the AR bearings rust up, after 15 years fishing with it.
I'm thinking that the water either migrate in by the spool shaft or through the turn handle drive shaft? I know a lot mist comes off the reel every time you cast, it coats whole reel with salt water, especially when the wind blow toward you. 
One time I even tried plug all the weep holes on the bottom of the reel with grease to see if that solve the problem, it the same amount of water droplets inside of the reel. Is this normal for Shimano

Before I dumped all my shimano's for too numerous reasons, I had this water intrusion problems with my 300D and all shimano's.  I felt the majority of water came in through the levelwind.  I think its merely shimanos design, a flaw you must deal with.  Compounded by internal components from the freshwater bass realm pressed into saltwater service.  I was caught in a rainstorm far up river once, in a jon boat.  3 shimano outfits, 1 Daiwa and 2 Ambassadeurs, sitting across the 2 bench seats.  I fished for a bit in the rain then made the run back.  The reels all had neoprene reel covers on them.  When I got home the Daiwa which I had used in the rain had a few drops inside, water poured out of the shimano's and the Ambassadeurs were dry inside.  Even with covers on them to deflect the flow the levelwind covers facing outward took in water, the Ambassadeur's levelwind cover facing downward were drier.  I think if you want to have shimano's these problems are something you will have to put up with.  I only have Ambassadeurs now, supertuned and smoother than anything shimano makes and a whole lot tougher.

Lunker Larry

It is common with these reels. Water also shows up under the spool tension cap. As everyone suggested, before you put your belville washers on run some grease around the top of the ARB to seal things off best you can. It helps but it is not 100%
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

handi2

Before assembling the spring washers and drag star "cap" the top of the AR bearing with grease, grease the spring washers and more grease before the drag star. You are trying to stop the water from ever getting down into the AR bearing.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

seegran

I did this once on my abu 4600 c4, ends of IAR slipping. (back up the line the handles rotate together). I have to flush it out. Now I am getting slips after 2 to 3 hrs of casting(intermittently).

johndtuttle

Quote from: seegran on April 13, 2015, 12:30:35 PM
I did this once on my abu 4600 c4, ends of IAR slipping. (back up the line the handles rotate together). I have to flush it out. Now I am getting slips after 2 to 3 hrs of casting(intermittently).

Was there corrosion present originally that you cleaned out? Are you saying that now with lots of lube inside it starts to slip?

1. Corrosion can pit the rollers in an AR bearing and it will never be the same again. Time to replace the bearing.

2. If it is a question of lube, is it very cold where you are fishing? What lube are you using?

seegran

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 13, 2015, 04:35:35 PM

Was there corrosion present originally that you cleaned out? Are you saying that now with lots of lube inside it starts to slip?

1. Corrosion can pit the rollers in an AR bearing and it will never be the same again. Time to replace the bearing.

2. If it is a question of lube, is it very cold where you are fishing? What lube are you using?

No corrosion present originally upon cleaning, just grease gunk.
I dap some cals grease on the outer rim of the IAR.
I live in Asia pacific, hot and humid weather where I was fishing.
Lucky enough purefishing offered IAR instead of the whole RH plate. They don't have matching colour of my reel, azure blue.
Now, awaiting for the item to be delivered.
Any tips on avoiding this from occurring  in near future? :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: seegran on April 13, 2015, 06:19:28 PM

Lucky enough purefishing offered IAR instead of the whole RH plate. They don't have matching colour of my reel, azure blue.

The tropics and saltwater cause a lot of corrosion. As above, oil the bearing with Corrosion-X or TSI321 and cap it with marine grease. Well greased drag washers on the other side will help too.

seegran

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 13, 2015, 07:07:36 PM
Quote from: seegran on April 13, 2015, 06:19:28 PM

The tropics and saltwater cause a lot of corrosion. As above, oil the bearing with Corrosion-X or TSI321 and cap it with marine grease. Well greased drag washers on the other side will help too.
How about Abu Garcia Silocate Reel Oil or PENN Synthetic Reel Oil, as Corrosion-X / TSI321 very hard to get it here.

Lunker Larry

I suspect the hot climate is melting the grease you're using and it is running into the ARB. Too much lubrication causes them to slip. What type of grease are you using? Lots of site members here used to setting reels up for the hot climates.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?