vintage 12/0

Started by Alto Mare, April 07, 2015, 12:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

For example: Was Penn responding to the market for a particular model?

Or was Penn defining the market (if we build it, they will come?).

No doubt that Penn defined a market for the working class man. There was a new market demand for big game reels, but that was always with the high end buyers. Companies like Fin-nor, Coxe, Kovalovski, vom Hofe, even Pflueger and Ocean City were providing big game reels for the Hollywood and the Deep Pockets fisherman.
          And then came Penn in 1936 & 37, all of a sudden a regular guy could buy a reel like the Senator 115 or 116 and go Tuna or Bill fishing without having to take out a mortgage for that reel or have his fingers gone by the end of the day. Penn is the hero of the working class fisherman and in the United States and the World, that is a Major Market! Smiley

This may be a quote you are remembered by...

Thanks, I can live with that.... :)

Shark Hunter

Preach On! Michael! ;D
Ted sent me some reel parts a while back and all were supposed to be 12/0 parts. The bearings for example fit a 9/0 and a 12/0 chrome spool. I had no idea.
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Superhook on April 07, 2015, 12:25:14 AM
Sal,

Stop wondering. Indeed a member did get this reel . Isn't it a beauty and with a rare bag .  Not me ...I was too slow!

Ray

My lips are sealed  8)

One of the best deals was a couple weeks ago when a late 40's mint 10/0 and 12/0 fell outta the sky....my oh my !!!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

I knew it was you all along ;D, that was a great buy. I almost pushed the trigger when it first got listed, but didn't want to get kicked out of the house :'(. I'm glad you got it ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 12, 2015, 12:34:47 AM
I knew it was you all along ;D, that was a great buy. I almost pushed the trigger when it first got listed, but didn't want to get kicked out of the house :'(. I'm glad you got it ;)

Ha ha, I had to make a huge list of promises to keep myself outta the doghouse. My "buy it now" finger sometimes temporarily numbs my reasoning......or something like that......It's all Mike's fault. I do love the book, my wife I'm not so sure about.

BTW Sal, I did send you a pic of that reel after a quick wipedown. Fell free to post it up if you like, I don't mind sharing pics of a few nice early examples.

Alto Mare

Here you go buddy, my three accounts are full and I just opened another.  Many of the pictures are not mine, I'm not sure I'll be able to download anymore for anyone else as well :-\
Here are the reels:
http://i.imgur.com/N7VHXkH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fV5JojP.jpg

Gorgeous reels my friend.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bestout

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 12, 2015, 02:41:48 AM
Here you go buddy, my three accounts are full and I just opened another.  Many of the pictures are not mine, I'm not sure I'll be able to download anymore for anyone else as well :-\
Here are the reels:
http://i.imgur.com/N7VHXkH.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/fV5JojP.jpg

Gorgeous reels my friend.

Sal
Sooo shiny *_*
The monsters in my head are scared......

Tightlines667

Nice reels Ted!  
That first one is a true gem.  
Isn't the lube tube the wrong color though?  Thought these were army green (grease) and baby poo yellow (oil) for this period.  I noticed it states 'Tropical Reel Lube', and has a plastic cap.  Isn't this lube post 1950?

Care to expound on the set of 4 a bit more?  Any peculiar findings here (i.e. careage bolt size, main gear depth, etc)?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Maxed Out

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 12, 2015, 03:05:33 AM
Nice reels Ted!  
That first one is a true gem.  
Isn't the lube tube the wrong color though?  Thought these were army green (grease) and baby poo yellow (oil) for this period.  I noticed it states 'Tropical Reel Lube', and has a plastic cap.  Isn't this lube post 1950?

Care to expound on the set of 4 a bit more?  Any peculiar findings here (i.e. careage bolt size, main gear depth, etc)?

John, I have only gave them a quick wipe down and likely wont tear into internals till this fall. Here is what little info I have. I'm like most guys, still learning.

The butterscotch nob 12/0 is 1952 and tropical lube came out sometime shortly after. To me the correct lube tube is by no means a deal breaker. Those show up for auction 100 times more than the reels from that era.

The red nob is late 40's 10/0 and it does have the small carriage bolts for rod clamp and I believe that changed sometime in the early 50's to the large carriage bolts.

The 6/0 on the left is also late 40's, as is the 12/0 on the far right. Only reel in that pic with visible part numbers is the butterscotch nob 12/0, other 3 are all correct for lighthouse box, but none have their boxes except the 1952 12/0 pictured.....Ray owns all the boxes last I checked...lol

Thank you for posting Sal.....and just so you know. That 12/0 was listed as new and the small amount of line was there for a reason. If the seller removed that line they could not have listed as new. Tiny amount of spotting on the arbor says it was used, but I'm ok with that, cause it is still very respectable.

Superhook

Ted,

Seeing as Sal's Albums are full i will post them so we can all have a look.

Ted's 12/0 with rare Factory bag and all the goodies

Ted's Senators 6/0 , 10/0 and 2 x 12/0's.

Very nice Ted.

Ray

Maxed Out

Ray, is there any info on the drawstring bags ?? like what era were they added in the box ?? If I had to guess it was only for a handful of years in 40's to early 50's, but I may be way off... We have about 24 hours till Mike gets off work and perhaps has some info on them.

I've seen several cloth penn bags for the 6/0 and 9/0 but have only seen one other for 12/0 and it was tattered pretty good.

Superhook

Ted,

I can remember reading in the back of the catalogs that the bags came with the leather cases .

Catalog #6 has 4/0 , 9/0 and 12/0 . 

Cat. #7 says the cases with bags are available for all the Senators 4/0 -16/0.

I suspect that the Penn buyers could have been adverse to spending more dollars on a leather case and Penn may have sold customers some bags without cases.

My 1939 12/0 Senator bag does not have the writing on the bag like yours. I have not seen a leather case.

Ray

Alto Mare

Thanks for taking over with the pictures Ray. The new site I found to download pics will really get you close and personal, I like it.
If you click on the picture it will zoom in nicely, showing all details.
I thought that reel would have came with the lighthouse box :-\, I have most of the penn catalogs and still gets confusing.
I believe mid fifty's was the last year for the 3-piece spool.

I had a couple reels with the light house box come through my hands and could kick myself for selling them, both had the reels stored in those bags.
But as Ted mentioned, I have seen them in other boxes, I actually sent one to Mike with the red spool. ;D
I know they were selling a bunch on line not long ago, for a couple of dollars, but I wasn't interested. I hope one you you penn gurus grabbed them.
Sal
Oops, Ray you posted as I was typing...sorry

Superhook

Sal,

The good thing about Ted's 12/0 is as a complete unit  it has the #17 cat (1952), box together to help date it .

Mike says 1949 was the last of the L'house boxes and the early 2nd generation Senators from 4/0 up were in the L'house boxes. There could have been some L'house boxes left over and used into 1950 as Penn tossed nothing out even going as far as sticking different labels on previously labeled boxes .A practice from as early as the mid 30's.

The change to the colourful labels in 1950 for the Senators was just to match the labels used on most of their other models not to coincide with the one piece spools introduced in 1956 ..as you correctly said.
Penn used some plastic bags for their smaller reels in the box as did Ocean City also.
A regretful decision on the Penn bags. They are difficult to find.

Ray

Alto Mare

Thanks Ray. Now, my No 17 full size catalog has been stamped  Apr 1955 ;D, I know they run one year late.