vintage 12/0

Started by Alto Mare, April 07, 2015, 12:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

Sal,

Stop wondering. Indeed a member did get this reel . Isn't it a beauty and with a rare bag .  Not me ...I was too slow!

Ray

Tightlines667

How did I manage to miss that?  Beautiful reel, and with the 'fair trade' price box, not to mention the bag and no.17 catelog.  Only missing the wrench and 2 lube tubes. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

Superhook

No doubt about that reel .It's another beauty. Circa 1950 , 3 piece spool with line post in excellent condition. I'd own up if i scored that.

Penn Chronology

QuoteNo doubt about that reel .It's another beauty. Circa 1950 , 3 piece spool with line post in excellent condition. I'd own up if i scored that.

Ray,

I think the 10/0 may even predate 1950. Look at the size of the stand rod clamp bolts, those are early 3/16 carriage bolts. This was a very good deal. No, it was not me who got this one, but I do know who won the 12/O. I have been sworn to secrecy................................ ;D Again..... :-X :-X :-X

Alto Mare

I have a good idea who got it, I actually let it go, I spotted that reel at the very beginning.
I still have it on my watch list at the same time it was listed ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

Mike,

It maybe a year earlier but with line post and the lines around the counterweight unlike the first gen it would be the last of the L'house boxed reels . The earliest 2nd gen were still found with drilled spools and coin edged counterweights . I would class it as an early 2nd gen but not the earliest 2nd gen. Probably only a year in that. I have it's twin and i can remember seeing one in a L'house box on Ebay. I know the early first gen 10/0's used the skinnier 9/0 posts.
The twin to the ebay reel is the most modern 10/0 i have and i don't know when the larger holes in the foot commenced.

Ray

Tightlines667

Ray, Mike, and Ted too,
You guys are a wealth of knowledge on this stuff, and it is a pleasure to be able to learn about these old classics from you. 

Sal,

I can see there isn't much that manages to slip past you.
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Definitely a pair of Beauties! ;D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

QuoteMike,

It maybe a year earlier but with line post and the lines around the counterweight unlike the first gen it would be the last of the L'house boxed reels . The earliest 2nd gen were still found with drilled spools and coin edged counterweights . I would class it as an early 2nd gen but not the earliest 2nd gen. Probably only a year in that. I have it's twin and i can remember seeing one in a L'house box on Ebay. I know the early first gen 10/0's used the skinnier 9/0 posts.
The twin to the ebay reel is the most modern 10/0 i have and i don't know when the larger holes in the foot commenced.

Ray

I find the 10/O as the odd ball of the Senators. I feel that Penn made a slip up by not introducing it before the 12/O. That is why it wound up with the strange model number 116A. I imagine all the Penn engineers sitting around a lunch table in 1938, talking about what they forgot to do and one of them yelling, "Oh no, we introduced the 12/O last year by mistake. That was supposed to be the 10/O. How are we going to fix this?".
                The 10/O was supposed to be the Model 116, the 12/O the Model 117, the 14/O the Model 118 and finally the 16/O should have been the Model 119, but they introduced them out of order and had to fix it by calling the 10/O a Model 116A. I suspect someone put too much vodka in the punch at one of the office parties and put the wrong reel in the catalog... :P :P :P

Interesting that you mention the 9/O pillars on the early 10/O's. Many people do not know that the 10/O is actually a hybrid of a 9/O width combined with a 12/O plate diameter, giving the 10/O parts interchangeability with the 115 and 116 models.

I forget what year Penn went to the large carriage bolts for the rod clamp but I do remember that Penn first offered the heavy duty stand and clamp as a option before it became the way it was built.

coastal_dan

Love these threads and all the knowledge they hold...beautiful reels!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

foakes

You are right, Dan --

The History conveyed to us here -- is amazing.

In my linear way of thinking, I always thought that a 10 was a narrow 12.  And a 14 a narrow 16.

Of course this is true -- but I never knew the line of progression, as the models evolved.  More to the point, IMO, would be the reasons and demands that led to an expanded product line.

For example: Was Penn responding to the market for a particular model?

Or was Penn defining the market (if we build it, they will come?).

Fascinating.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

QuoteFor example: Was Penn responding to the market for a particular model?

No doubt that Penn defined a market for the working class man. There was a new market demand for big game reels, but that was always with the high end buyers. Companies like Fin-nor, Coxe, Kovalovski, vom Hofe, even Pflueger and Ocean City were providing big game reels for the Hollywood and the Deep Pockets fisherman.
          And then came Penn in 1936 & 37, all of a sudden a regular guy could buy a reel like the Senator 115 or 116 and go Tuna or Bill fishing without having to take out a mortgage for that reel or have his fingers gone by the end of the day. Penn is the hero of the working class fisherman and in the United States and the World, that is a Major Market! :)

coastal_dan

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 07, 2015, 03:48:49 PM
QuoteFor example: Was Penn responding to the market for a particular model?

No doubt that Penn defined a market for the working class man. There was a new market demand for big game reels, but that was always with the high end buyers. Companies like Fin-nor, Coxe, Kovalovski, vom Hofe, even Pflueger and Ocean City were providing big game reels for the Hollywood and the Deep Pockets fisherman.
          And then came Penn in 1936 & 37, all of a sudden a regular guy could buy a reel like the Senator 115 or 116 and go Tuna or Bill fishing without having to take out a mortgage for that reel or have his fingers gone by the end of the day. Penn is the hero of the working class fisherman and in the United States and the World, that is a Major Market! :)

This may be a quote you are remembered by...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...