Jigmaster drag problem

Started by bestout, April 10, 2015, 03:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

I dont understand how the 500L is able to pull 15lb at max am only pulling half of that
The monsters in my head are scared......

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on April 10, 2015, 05:29:50 PM
I dont understand how the 500L is able to pull 15lb at max am only pulling half of that

Looking at your photos I think your stack needs one more stainless washer. This is another belleville type that has a ) curve to it.

Your stack seems to have a standard flat washer for it's last one. When the spacing sleeve presses on it, it will cause it to bow (= like so. It is critical that the last one is like this )= so that the force is applied to the outer edge of the washer first. The outer edge is where the greatest drag force is realized. If the force is only applied in the center it is a fraction of the force that could be applied.

The washers are sold in a set and that last one should have a slight bend in it and may be what is the source of the trouble?

bestout

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 10, 2015, 10:23:35 PM

Looking at your photos I think your stack needs one more stainless washer. This is another belleville type that has a ) curve to it.

Your stack seems to have a standard flat washer for it's last one. When the spacing sleeve presses on it, it will cause it to bow (= like so. It is critical that the last one is like this =( so that the force is applied to the outer edge of the washer first. The outer edge is where the greatest drag force is realized. If the force is only applied in the center it is a fraction of the force that could be applied.

The washers are sold in a set and that last one should have a slight bend in it and may be what is the source of the trouble?
Thanks for the reply. So what should i do now. This jigmaster use to have 3 washer and 2 thick drag washers.

RowdyW

bestout, It might be that your eared washer is dropping out of the main gear on assembly & laying on top of the gear. When assembling the bridge, gear, washers, & spring washer install the spacer & star wheel & tighten it down. Then remove the star wheel & wind a rubber band around the end of the sleeve to keep the whole assembly tightly together & install in plate. After snugging the 4 screws remove the rubber band & install the star wheel, handle, etc. Like I said it seems like the washers are slipping out when they are unsupported.     RUDY

bestout

Quote from: RowdyW on April 10, 2015, 10:59:06 PM
bestout, It might be that your eared washer is dropping out of the main gear on assembly & laying on top of the gear. When assembling the bridge, gear, washers, & spring washer install the spacer & star wheel & tighten it down. Then remove the star wheel & wind a rubber band around the end of the sleeve to keep the whole assembly tightly together & install in plate. After snugging the 4 screws remove the rubber band & install the star wheel, handle, etc. Like I said it seems like the washers are slipping out when they are unsupported.     RUDY
When i install the assembly i dont turn the gears upside down i just set them on the table and put the frame on top and screw everything. But ill try the rubberband way

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on April 10, 2015, 10:58:08 PM

Your stack seems to have a standard flat washer for it's last one. When the spacing sleeve presses on it, it will cause it to bow (= like so. It is critical that the last one is like this =( so that the force is applied to the outer edge of the washer first. The outer edge is where the greatest drag force is realized. If the force is only applied in the center it is a fraction of the force that could be applied.

Thanks for the reply. So what should i do now. This jigmaster use to have 3 washer and 2 thick drag washers.

It should have one under gear washer (Part #4) and then 3 drag washers (#6) and 3 stainless washers (#7) sold as a set. What is you drag stack?

Sometimes reels that are bought used are assembled from whatever parts the seller has found. You may not have the proper last stainless washer...

bestout

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 11, 2015, 12:45:59 AM
Quote from: bestout on April 10, 2015, 10:58:08 PM

It should have one under gear washer (Part #4) and then 3 drag washers (#6) and 3 stainless washers (#7) sold as a set. What is you drag stack?

Sometimes reels that are bought used are assembled from whatever parts the seller has found. You may not have the proper last stainless washer...
I bought the drag kit from scott the ht100 which i think thats what i did wrong and under the main gear i got the drag washer from the penn senator black.  I have it set up like this  sleeve, dragwasher under main gear, main gear, drag washer, washer, drag washer, eared washer, drag washer, washer, spacing sleeve, star, handle.  Here i did it with the rubberband http://imgur.com/ushzpDx

bestout

Your stack seems to have a standard flat washer for it's last one. When the spacing sleeve presses on it, it will cause it to bow (= like so. It is critical that the last one is like this )= so that the force is applied to the outer edge of the washer first. The outer edge is where the greatest drag force is realized. If the force is only applied in the center it is a fraction of the force that could be applied.

I just did what you told me and still no luck  i have it put it like this =( and  still getting 5lb of drag

RowdyW

bestout

Quote from: RowdyW on April 11, 2015, 05:24:22 AM
Can you try another spool?
wow you just hit it right on the spot and now tomorrow im going to fish sooo sad :( its the spool . i put the metal one i had old one and i tried to pull line and it was just toooo hard so its the SPOOL and i bought it brand new about a week ago wow......

bestout

Well lets hope nothing big catches the jigmaster .....  >:( >:( >:(

RowdyW

RowdyW

Glad it got figured out. Everybody on this site tries to help out till it gets solved. Nobody quits till it's done right. Good Luck fishing today.      RUDY

bestout

Quote from: RowdyW on April 11, 2015, 06:06:30 AM
Glad it got figured out. Everybody on this site tries to help out till it gets solved. Nobody quits till it's done right. Good Luck fishing today.      RUDY
Yep thats why i love this site :)  and thanks to everyone.  Gotta wake up at 4   2hours of sleep  8)

foakes

While doing a Squidder about 3 weeks ago -- experienced similar issues.

After having it back apart 3 times -- and inspecting the spool, which seemed OK -- finally just tried another spool. 

No issues -- worked perfect.

This is not the most common issue -- but it happens.

If you bought the spool from a reputable shop -- they should swap it out at no charge.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.