Jigmaster drag problem

Started by bestout, April 10, 2015, 03:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

So i bought a ht-100 drag kit from Scotts. Installed them greased with cals. so am getting straight 7 pounds of max drag. right now i have it like this : Sleeve,drag washer,main gear,drag washer, washer, drag washer, eared washer, drag washer, washer, spring washer, spacing sleeve, star, handle. when i take the spring washer out i get 7 1/2 or so.
the star its not touching the frame when i go on max... the eared washer is inside the main gear ..... no spectra on the spool....  i have marked then spool and shaft to see if it was spinning and nothing... also i have electric tape so no slipping :(
The monsters in my head are scared......

Tightlines667

Quote from: bestout on April 10, 2015, 03:53:26 AM
So i bought a ht-100 drag kit from Scotts. Installed them greased with cals. so am getting straight 7 pounds of max drag. right now i have it like this : Sleeve,drag washer,main gear,drag washer, washer, drag washer, eared washer, drag washer, washer, spring washer, spacing sleeve, star, handle. when i take the spring washer out i get 7 1/2 or so.
the star its not touching the frame when i go on max... the eared washer is inside the main gear ..... no spectra on the spool....  i have marked then spool and shaft to see if it was spinning and nothing... also i have electric tape so no slipping :(

Sounds like it may be a spacing issue.  How far (i.e. how many rotations) does the star need to be tightened to start getting drag?  Pictures of the fully assembled drag stack/gear assembly outside of the reel, may help members to aid in diagnosing your culprit.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

bestout

Sounds like it may be a spacing issue.  How far (i.e. how many rotations) does the star need to be tightened to start getting drag?  Pictures of the fully assembled drag stack/gear assembly outside of the reel, may help members to aid in diagnosing your culprit.
http://imgur.com/y8JDrs9
http://imgur.com/kE9LEXF
http://imgur.com/UrJevaF
this are all without the spring washer this setting i get 6ish pounds max

bestout

with the spring washer i get drag right away but if i want to loosen the whole drag i cant cause i hit the handle

Tightlines667

Order looks good, do you have a picture showing the spacing sleeve, star, and handle in place?  Want to see the space between the star and handle when just starting to apply tension to spring washer/drag stack...or can you tell us how many 1/5 revolutions the star needs to be cranked to get there?
Hope springs eternal

bestout

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 10, 2015, 04:48:51 AM
Order looks good, do you have a picture showing the spacing sleeve, star, and handle in place?  Want to see the space between the star and handle when just starting to apply tension to spring washer/drag stack...or can you tell us how many 1/5 revolutions the star needs to be cranked to get there?
this is wihtout the spring washer http://imgur.com/UrJevaF hope it helps if not ill take one

Tightlines667

Quote from: bestout on April 10, 2015, 04:47:38 AM
with the spring washer i get drag right away but if i want to loosen the whole drag i cant cause i hit the handle

Ok, so its may not be a spacing issue then.  Can you provide a pic of the inside of the main gear?  Do the slots run all of the way to the bottom of the gear?  Is there any noticable marring, or gouges along these xhannels, or on tue inside surface if the main?  Basically check that the metal washers will move up and down freely in the gear, even under pressure.  
Hope springs eternal

bestout

Ok, so its not a spacing issue then.  Can you provide a pic of the inside of the main gear?  Do the slots run all of the way to the bottom of the gear?  Is there any noticable marring, or gouges along these xhannels, or on tue inside surface if the main?  Basically check that the metal washers will move up and down freely in the gear, even under pressure.  
i dont have one right now but i have found that the eared has a tiny small play but that's about it everything goes flush

Tightlines667

A little play is normal. 

I would also check:

-Ensure that the he star is not getting caught on the sideplate when tightening down
-Make sure the first eared washer can travel all the way down The gear, and all washers move up and down relatively freely (if not polish/debur as appropriate)

Sometimes reassembling the complete gear/drag stack (handle,bridge and all outside of the reel, then testing its function.  You can do this by holding the gear with something soft, and crankimg while applying increased drag load.  It might tell you if something is binding or jumping, or mis-behaving.  If this assembly functions properly inside, and out of the reel, then it needs to be something else.  If you eleminated line slipping, the other possibility that comes to mind, is that the spool is actually slipping on the spool shaft.  You should be able to see this problem too.
Hope springs eternal

bestout

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 10, 2015, 05:13:25 AM
A little play is normal. 

I would also check:

-Ensure that the he star is not getting caught on the sideplate when tightening down
-Make sure the first eared washer can travel all the way down The gear, and all washers move up and down relatively freely (if not polish/debur as appropriate)

Sometimes reassembling the complete gear/drag stack (handle,bridge and all outside of the reel, then testing its function.  You can do this by holding the gear with something soft, and crankimg while applying increased drag load.  It might tell you if something is binding or jumping, or mis-behaving.  If this assembly functions properly inside, and out of the reel, then it needs to be something else.  If you eleminated line slipping, the other possibility that comes to mind, is that the spool is actually slipping on the spool shaft.  You should be able to see this problem too.
Yea Bryan told me about line slipping and the spool shaft but i got electric tape on the spool and i have already marked the spool shaft to see if it was moving under pressure but its not

Tightlines667

Thats good you don't have a bad dpool or line slippage.  As I said, I would:

Make sure the star is not binding in the side plate.

Check the inside of main gear.

Test function of completely assembled drag/bridge assembly outside of reel.

You should be able to get this figured out with a little patience, and by eliminating possible problems.  If you become fully stumped, I'm sure you can ship it to one of our members to take a closer look. 
Hope springs eternal

bestout

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 10, 2015, 05:23:30 AM
Thats good you don't have a bad dpool or line slippage.  As I said, I would:

Make sure the star is not binding in the side plate.

Check the inside of main gear.

Test function of completely assembled drag/bridge assembly outside of reel.

You should be able to get this figured out with a little patience, and by eliminating possible problems.  If you become fully stumped, I'm sure you can ship it to one of our members to take a closer look. 
Yep ill check it outside the reel tomorrow. Thanks for the help :D

Alto Mare

Could be as simple as a new spring washer.
Backing the star and hitting the handle would be related to the spacer or the thickness of the star.
In your case, from looking at your pictures you have the correct star and your spacer is already sitting low.
On most Jigmasters you would have 1/8" of the spacer sticking out from the tip of the plate bushing, I'm surprised your not hitting the right side spool bushing with the star when cranked all the way.
I'm not sure you're aware, but there are a few different length spacers  available from Scotts, the best though would be from Pro Challenger ( Black Pearl ), he has  10.5mm-11.5mm and 12.5mm, all good to have for many applications.
The custom spacers from Pro Challenger are  thicker, a good thing to have, those would help with keeping the gear sleeve square under stress.

On another note:
I've mentioned a few times that the gear sleeve needs to be a little taller, but no one will listen :-\, two more threads is all that would be needed....too bad.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Like Sal sez, a crisp new spring would help (or put a bend in the old one, if it is just flattened a bit -- to test it).

Also the longer gear sleeve would really help, when and if ever available.

In the meantime, one could experiment with different stars that have the recessed ring groove -- for a little more pressure and star travel adjustment -- Along with slightly different sized spacers -- to get the right combination that might work.

Some are cheap fixes, and doable -- to get more drag.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bestout

Quote from: foakes on April 10, 2015, 02:53:55 PM
Like Sal sez, a crisp new spring would help (or put a bend in the old one, if it is just flattened a bit -- to test it).

Also the longer gear sleeve would really help, when and if ever available.

In the meantime, one could experiment with different stars that have the recessed ring groove -- for a little more pressure and star travel adjustment -- Along with slightly different sized spacers -- to get the right combination that might work.

Some are cheap fixes, and doable -- to get more drag.

Best,

Fred
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 10, 2015, 02:04:41 PM

Could be as simple as a new spring washer.
Backing the star and hitting the handle would be related to the spacer or the thickness of the star.
In your case, from looking at your pictures you have the correct star and your spacer is already sitting low.
On most Jigmasters you would have 1/8" of the spacer sticking out from the tip of the plate bushing, I'm surprised your not hitting the right side spool bushing with the star when cranked all the way.
I'm not sure you're aware, but there are a few different length spacers  available from Scotts, the best though would be from Pro Challenger ( Black Pearl ), he has  10.5mm-11.5mm and 12.5mm, all good to have for many applications.
The custom spacers from Pro Challenger are  thicker, a good thing to have, those would help with keeping the gear sleeve square under stress.

On another note:
I've mentioned a few times that the gear sleeve needs to be a little taller, but no one will listen :-\, two more threads is all that would be needed....too bad.

Sal

the spring washer its a new one from scott the black ones. and this is a picture that shows when the star its no longer able to turn. http://imgur.com/S9qiJYK i took the spring washer off by the way.