sl50sh service question

Started by vilters, April 11, 2015, 04:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vilters

so I'm about to service my sl50sh, upgrade drags and bearings. it has noticeably more axial(?) - side to side freeplay of the driveshaft than my x40hv. is this normal? or is there something I should look for? thanks for any help.

SoCalAngler

I don't have a sl50sh but I upgraded my sl20sh and the first thing I noticed on the breakdown of the 20 was the handle nut under the handle nut retaining cap was loose, or not fully tightened down (not even finger tight). I also had a bit of side play there. After the frame, handle and other upgrades I made sure the handle nut was tightened maybe a 1/16th to1/8th crank tighter than the way I got the reel. Not fully crancked down but tight and with their handle nut cap you don't need to force it really tight to have the handle lose the side play, well not in my reel. I'd check that first.

Here is my sl20sh

Here is a link to what I did to my reel.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10526.0

Bryan Young

Quote from: vilters on April 11, 2015, 04:29:52 PM
so I'm about to service my sl50sh, upgrade drags and bearings. it has noticeably more axial(?) - side to side freeplay of the driveshaft than my x40hv. is this normal? or is there something I should look for? thanks for any help.
You may need to tighten down the tension cap on the right.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dave Bentley

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 12, 2015, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: vilters on April 11, 2015, 04:29:52 PM
You may need to tighten down the tension cap on the right.

Also check the copper spacers are inside that cap.
Only believe that which you know to be true.

SoCalAngler

What both you Bryan and Dave are talking about is play in the spool and what vilters is asking about is the drive shaft. There is a bearing at the botom of the drive shaft and under that between the sideplate and drive shaft is part #41 Drive Shaft Washer A. If someone opened up the reel to grease that bearing maybe the washer dropped out.

Cor

Most of these reels have some lateral and sideways play in the drive shaft which gets worse over time.   Part (Key 44 Drive Shaft Retainer) is subject to a lot of wear as you can see from the two in the attached photo.   I would presume the bottom retaining lip of the Drive Shaft will also wear, though I've never measured it and its not obviously visible.   In some reels the spacer (Key 41) that SoCalAngler refers to is made from soft fibre (like original drag washers) and I've sometimes added a second spacer or shim to take up the excess play.

First check is the the Drive Shaft Retainer and replace if it shows wear, then add shim below drive shaft, and replace bearing (Key 42) if worn (those bearings are always first to go)

That should fix most of the slop in the drive shaft.
Cornelis