Senator Special 112H 3/0 V.S. the Jigmaster 500??? HELP

Started by infish, April 12, 2015, 03:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

infish

Hello all,
Well, I would enjoy hearing what your opinion is on the Senator Special 112H 3/0 V.S. the Jigmaster 500.
Everything I know about Penn reels is what I learned from you folks, thank you all for sharing your knowledge. I would like to hot rod one of my reels, Senator Special 112H 3/0 or the Jigmaster 500.
The Senator has a kit called the Bluefin special and the Jigmaster has the Albacore special.
It looks like most the parts are interchangeable and that's my confusion, with that said, one should be as tough as the other correct? Other than line capacity, and the feel of the reel in your hand is there a better reason I should go with one over the other? I know the cost of hot rodding V.S. new; I would just like to build one.
Thank you,
   -Tony
Stay Well My Friend.
Quit Wishing Go Fishing

Keta

Most of the parts are not interchangeable and there is more choices of things to put on a Jigmaster.  I like both but prefer my 112H narrow reels, but not by much.  I wish a SS double dog bridge plate was available for the 112H.

For a first project I'd say a 500/501 would be the best choice.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

Hi, Infish!

I actually have Tiburon's 112 Bluefin Special, and also a whole slew of Jigmasters in all sorts of blinged/hot-rodded condition.

The Bluefin Special is sweet, but I agree with Lee (always a smart thing to do) that your best bet is to start off with a Jigmaster. The opportunities for upgrading are almost limitless, and the components for doing so are much more readily available. (I waited almost six months for Tiburon to send me the 112H kit.)

In any event, this is the very best place for any and all info/advice/assistance you may need. Have fun with your project, and good luck fishing!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Ron Jones

I also have both of these reels built in various conditions. It would help if we knew what you wanted to do with the built reel. Basically, the 112H holds more line but has less initial drag numbers due to it's larger diameter. It also has a higher retrieve rate at the top of the spool.

Give us some more info and we'll see what we can do.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

borchcl

Be very careful. The road you are starting down is a slippery slope that has led some folks to an addictive activity which has been known to consume large blocks of free time and even larger blocks of money. Yes, it's fun!
Regards
Charlie

foakes

Ron is right, Tony --

We need to know how you are fishing your reels, what's species, depths, lures, bait, etc..

If you just want to hot rod a reel for experience -- the Jig is the one to do first -- the 3/0 second.

Also, bear in mind, that not everything in possible upgrades to these reels is likely necessary for your intended use -- and may be a waste of money.  These are both very capable reels -- and will provide great experience as you start down the rabbit hole.

If even slightly unsure about upgrades -- just start with new Cal's greased CFs and SS drags -- a delrin under gear washer, complete cleaning and lubrication with synthetic oil and either Yamaha Marine grease, or Penn blue grease -- maybe later a little better handle, then a SS sleeve to follow, with a SS dog.

See how this works while your experience and comfort zone increases -- then you can go further, as you wish.

There are solid frames, gear sets, all SS components such as gear sets and yokes, power handles, sideplates, post bars, better spools, SS spacers, and much more.

Easy to get $300 or more into upgrades on one of these -- then find out you only needed to spend $40.

Whatever you decide to do -- show us pics -- and we will provide tons of free advice!

Welcome, by the way!

Just my opinion...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Ron Jones

Everyone has their opinion on what is important. I agree with Fred that you should start with a basic drag refresh and service. However, I feel that the number one improvement in reel function is a SS gear sleeve. It just makes the reel so much smoother and relays confidence. I would go that route before a handle. Especially if you already have one of the better Penn handles.

Again, just a difference of opinion.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

By changing the Gear - Bridge Sleeve to SS you should change the Dog to SS at the same time. The Sleeve will eat the Brass Dog in time. It's only a few bucks more.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Alto Mare

Considering on what we have available today, I would definitely go with the Jigmaster.
Both are great reels, but too me the Jigmaster is a better reel.
Ron had issues with the right side plate getting loose on the Jigmaster, I personally have never experienced it. With that said, there are ways to take care of it if that was the case. I like the option of replacing spools withing seconds.
I believe you have 4 choices of spool for those...if you could find them, but the frame will need to be changed as well.

As for cost on the upgrades, this would not be an investment, if you thought so, don't do it.
If you're looking for a reel that will be a joy to use and almost indestructible, go for it and don't hold back.
Keep in mind, those will be passed along to other generations to come, can't put a price on that ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

infish

Hello again,
Thanks to, Kata, Aiala, Shark Hunter, Ron, Charlie, Fred, Mike, and Sal. For your valuable and appreciated inputs. The funny thing is that all of you hit something that's importance to me. Sal, your so right about passing it down to generations, as most all my Penn reels are passed down to me from my uncle, he  put my first boat rod in my hand, with his Penn reel on it, maybe I'll hot rod that Jigmaster. He will always fish with me.
Hey Charlie you're correct, if I don't take your advice I could end up like Shark Hunter, Maybe that's a good thing.
Now for some back ground on my type of fishing, I have always had a hard time just sticking with one method of fishing if things are slow, change bait types, line color and or diameter. I'll throw my sneakers at them if I think they will bit. My target fish are Blue Shark 6-8 feet 80-140 pounds anything over 7 ½ - 8 feet your talking 180 – 275 pounds.I'll fish from top water down to no more than 100 feet, depends on species.  I don't shark fish as much as I Stripped Bass, Blue, Tautog and Fluke fish. All my shark fishing was aboard my friend's boat with his equipment. One of my stripper hot spots I hit mid-June maybe later I have run into small Bluefin Tuna about 2-4 feet maybe around 20-70 pounds. Hooked up with one a few years back and lost it due to me being over excited. That's a rush that will beat the hell out of any drug for sure, give a kid a short at good fishing maybe we can put a dent in the nation's drug problems. I did most my saltwater fishing with the old penn spinfisher 706 bail less and the 710 both are still in great shape. I have rebuilt all my penn reels. All with new drag kits from Scott's gears if needed and of course Car's drag grease. Reels are as follows.
2 Long Beach 60
1 65
2 85
3 Jigmasters
1 Special Senator 112H 3/0
I'm from the East Coast most my fishing is on Mass Bay. I have fished from Maine coast to Cape Cod.
Just not in one day (Funny)
I would like to put in a 5+1 stack 5:1 ratio with double dog set up. I guess I want to throw in the whole kennel, with all stainless steel components. I would love to have my final product the Albacore Special.
Where should I look for competence? I don't mind used for outside the reel but must have new for the internals.
Thanks again,
Stay Well My Friend.

Tightlines667

Quote from: infish on April 13, 2015, 09:49:21 PM
Thanks to...Shark Hunter....
if I don't take your advice I could end up like Shark Hunter, .....Maybe that's a good thing....

Lol   ;D  ;D  ;D
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

once again, baby steps.  i would usually want you to order up some cal's grease, some tsi 321 and some of the drag washers that go under the main gear of the jigmasters.  these can all be obtained from smoothdrag.com.  make sure you have carbon fiber drag washers in your current reels.  if not, you can order the carbontex replacements from smoothdrag, or get the less expense ht-100's and any replacement parts needed from mysticparts.com or your local shop.  then do a full service on your reels, replace any parts needed and make sure you have greased carbon fiber drags in all of them.  then go fish.  

once you've had a few fishing trips with these reels, start thinking about other things.  with light drag applications, there isn't much point in stainless steel gear sleeves and stainless steel gears, but a penn 24-56 jigmaster power handle might be a reasonably priced upgrade.  plus, you can still sell these reels and get your money back.  you just do the basics first, then let's talk upgrades after you've had a chance to fish with them.  i think you're at the point where handle upgrades should really be the next discussion.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

borchcl

The best place to look for competence is in your mirror. When you stumble someone on this site will be happy to to help you. I'll bet you will enjoy the pride of workmanship that comes with hotroding your own reels. Just bring your credit card!
Regards
Charlie

Big Tim

Quote from: alantani on April 13, 2015, 11:43:20 PM
once again, baby steps.

This where baby steps on a jigmaster winds up  ;D Just enjoy the hobby and then you can do what Daron said "Build both"