Howdy from Kodiak

Started by windvane, April 13, 2015, 12:43:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

windvane

Hi, new to the board, but have been following Alan since Coastside days.  I moved to Alaska about 5 years ago and just relocated again to Kodiak.
I am getting ready for summer to start and starting to get some reels cleaned up and ready for salt water fishing here.  I will definitely be picking some brains here if you people don't mind!

Robert

foakes

Welcome aboard, Robert --

What kind of reels, and what are you fishing for?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

robert, glad to have you here!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Islandgypsy

Welcome, Robert. Lived in Kodiak from 1969-1989. You'll need your reels up to speed to handle the great halibut and salmon fishing! You have come to the right place.

harryk3616

start, the picking is good here, welcome

Dominick

I don't have much grey matter to spare, but I'll do what I can.  Welcome.  Can you see Russia from there?  ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Islandgypsy

Robert, are you in the Coast Guard?... GB

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

windvane

Thanks for the welcome!!  Im not Coast GUard, had a job opportunity open up and jumped on it.
I have a bad habit of collecting the Penn reels, not sure why, and I have sought rehab programs for it, but I just cant pass one up at a garage sale or anyplace else I find an old Penn reel.
I am currently looking at trying to hot rod a Jigmaster 500S, I have not opened it up yet but it seems to be in good shape.  Where I fish will be considered shallow for halibut, less than 150 feet, and you never know what your going to catch, anything from Halibut to Lingcod or Salmon. 
Is the hot rodded Jigmaster 500 able to handle 80 to 100 lb braid and the fight a 100 Lb Halibut puts up?

Thanks

Robert

Islandgypsy

Jigmaster might be a little light for halibut. There's plenty of 200# plus halibut lurking around Kodiak. The big females move in as shallow as 10 fathoms in the summer ( Spruce Cape, Woody Is. Channel, Long Is.) .

I used to use a black side plated 4/0 Senator and never felt under gunned, though some guys even went to a 6/0. With the reels available today a two-speed would make things a lot more enjoyable.

Have fun and let us know how you do. Everyone likes photos here.

GB

Tightlines667

Get a Tiagra 50WLRS, spool it with holocore, and mono top shot, and you can handle any 200#er that decides to grab your bait.

Just a thought.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

windvane

After catching a relatively small 30 lb Halibut on a kids ugly stick trout rod last summer, I am kind of hooked on the light tackle idea, but still want to have enough oomph to hold on to a bigger fish if I hook in to one.

AlasKen

Hey Robert.  New here myself.  I'm from Eagle River and fish out of Resurrection Bay most of the time.  Starting to go lighter and retire the broomsticks and large Penn's.  I am looking at charter specials and rods in 40 60 range. Let us know what you decide on.