Replacement batteries?

Started by Rancanfish, April 13, 2015, 03:46:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Anyone know of replacement batteries for the Milwaukee 'Tani Special' screw driver?  2.4 volt.

I have stopped buying Milwaukee tools because of the poor battery life.  So I'm looking for aftermarket.  I actually found one in the trash at a jobsite I was working. It was outside an electronics store that was going out of biz. It's the only one out of three batteries still holding a charge. And actually longer lengthwise.No label except made in Japan, 2.4 volts 2500 mah.

Alan, you replaced a few, I'm sure?

Love the driver but crummy batts.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

foakes

Am currently using the Milwaukee 12 volt series driver.  Have used it steadily for 6 years now -- same 2 batteries.

However, when I need to replace these batteries -- I think I will get this Ridgid Combo sold at HDepot.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/12v-2speed-drill-driver-and-impact-driver-combo

2 tools, 2 batteries, charger, and case -- $99.

And -- LIFETIME GUARANTEE AND REPLACEMENT/REPAIR OF TOOL -- INCLUDING BATTERIES!

I may just pick it up very soon -- since it is a good deal.  Just like the Milwaukee -- it has an adjustable clutch so we don't hurt our reels.  And many other good features.

I have used these in other work -- and they operate excellent, feel good and balanced, and I cannot buy two new batteries for what these cost.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

El Pescador

Fred,

How and When will you use the impact driver?

I have a Makita 9.0V elec. screw driver, and it provides ALL the torque I need for any of my reel reel projects.

Thanks.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

foakes

Wayne --

I wouldn't use the impact at all for reels.

My two current 12 volt Milwaukees, cost a little over $129 each -- 6 years ago.

One is a screwdriver, and one is an impact.

And I use the impact for all sorts of woodworking and household projects.  It will drive 25 or 30 3" screws into Doug Fir -- on one battery -- with no pilot hole -- still after 6 years.  Any job around the house or property.

Yesterday, I attached some metal shelving to an upright Doug Fir 4x4 and a 4x16 DF header, using 2.5" self tapping hex heads.  Installed 9 screws through metal into the wood.  Started out with 2 lights out of 4 on the impact indicator -- still had 2 lights when finished going through both the metal and into the wood -- with no pilot holes.

But in the case of the Ridgid combo -- the impact is essentially free -- and lifetime batteries.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Rancanfish

Yes I use the Ridgid 18v tools and love them.  I have two impacts and use them constantly at work.  I stumbled on a Home Depot close out one day, $50 each. Kept two and gave one to my bro-in-law.

I just need a battery though. 

foakes

Unfortunately,

It seems like a waste -- but I do not think you can buy replacement batteries, as cheap as a new set of tools with batteries, on sale -- generally.

Have an 18v HD DeWalt --

Needed 2 new batteries --

Went to lowes and HD -- $129 a pair.

Walked 2 aisles over at Lowes -- found an 18v set which included 2 new batteries, charger, soft case, impact driver, drill, light, and a saw zall -- for $199.  Still have the old 18v I paid $279 for 11 years ago -- and use the new batteries just fine -- and have 4 new tools for essentially $70.

Just got to watch the deals in your area -- and if the time is right -- use your best judgement.

Might try BatteriesPlus?

Good Luck,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Rancanfish

I didn't think of that!  There's one in a small center downtown I can check out.

Dominick

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 13, 2015, 03:46:13 PM
Anyone know of replacement batteries for the Milwaukee 'Tani Special' screw driver?  2.4 volt.

I have stopped buying Milwaukee tools because of the poor battery life.  So I'm looking for aftermarket.  I actually found one in the trash at a jobsite I was working. It was outside an electronics store that was going out of biz. It's the only one out of three batteries still holding a charge. And actually longer lengthwise.No label except made in Japan, 2.4 volts 2500 mah.

Alan, you replaced a few, I'm sure?

Love the driver but crummy batts.
I've only changed the battery in my Milwaukee once in 15 years.  Do you store the battery in the charger?  If you do that will shorten the life.  I have a second battery that I keep on the bench and when the one in the tool slows down I just switch them.  I place the weakened battery in the charger for no longer than an hour.  Then just place it on the bench for a month or more before I use it and it seems fully charged.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Reel 224

I would suggest you try Amazon for that voltage and modal battery, if you type in the model and battery Voltage something should come up.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

LTM

I bought the Panasonic (which makes the Milwaukee without the extra price) which is on the label of the Milwaukee. Anywho, heres the best upgrade battery which Ive bought a couple that are holding up well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251610679690?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The price is right too,

Leo

alantani

worst case, the base will pop off pretty easily.  i just tried. then it's a matter of pulling out the old ni-cad battery and replacing with a new one.  hey, one man put it together, another can take it apart, figure out how they work and fix them, right?  that's what we're all about!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

alantani

also checked amazon.  a couple of guys complained that the batteries were overheating when left overnight in the charger. 

Alto Mare

I still say you guys would do better without the battery, stop being lazy, you need to feel the torque with your hands, not a power tool. I believe even the lowest setting could damage the reel if you're not careful.
You're not screwing in a 2x4 to the wall, you're working on reels....just my opinion.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Reel 224

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 13, 2015, 11:32:33 PM
I still say you guys would do better without the battery, stop being lazy, you need to feel the torque with your hands, not a power tool. I believe even the lowest setting could damage the reel if you're not careful.
You're not screwing in a 2x4 to the wall, you're working on reels....just my opinion.
Sal

Truer words were never spoken. Gun and reels are delicate instruments and hands on is best.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

alantani

it's tough when you've got a dozen a day......   :-\