9/0 Parts

Started by FatTuna, April 14, 2015, 01:07:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

Hi if anyone has a reel stand and posts for a 9/0 they would like to sell, shoot me a PM. They don't need to be perfect but in okay condition. Thanks.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Rancanfish

There ya go!  Getting closer.  Did ya open it up yet?  I never did, so I'm curious what the guts look like.

The guy that gave it to me was a client and paid me partially with that reel. (I didn't really want it). He got sick shortly thereafter and wanted to give me 1/2 a garage full of big Penns on old wooden handle rods.  He died about two months later.

If I only knew what I know now then!  He had all BIG reels,  I could of made a fortune.  I just didn't have room.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

FatTuna

Hi Randy. I have not opened it yet. I had a few other reels on my bench that I needed to get back to people. When my parts arrive I will go ahead and do a cleaning and rebuild. I will post up some pictures for you to check out when I crack her open. I think with these new posts and stand the reel will look a lot better.

Rancanfish

Thanks,  I will be looking forward to seeing what kind of shape it was in.

FatTuna

Randy, I got my parts today and cleaned out the inside of the reel. It will need some new HT-100 drag washers + lugs + reel clamp. Everything else was all there. I should get some good use out of her. It looks a lot better now that I have the new posts and stand on there. I will update when I have it all done.

FatTuna

Also, if anyone has any comments regarding the inside of this main gear. It looks like the eared washer dug in a little but I feel like it probably won't make a difference in performance.

Rancanfish

Did it have carbon fiber drags or was it old enough to be originally something else?

It always seemed pretty smooth when I played with it but I never peeked inside.

FatTuna

It had the thick old school washers. I think they were asbestos. It's all good, it's not too expensive to redo the drag including the metals on this one. It uses the same stack as a 114h I believe.

Shark Hunter

That's right Sean. The 114H and the 115L use the same main gear. Scott's has the kit on the cheap.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

FatTuna

She looks a lot better with those parts you gave me. I'll post up a pic of the finished product when I get it. What type of line should I put on it?

Shark Hunter

If your using it for land based fishing. I would use 60 or 80 mono. If you want to get serious. Use some hollow core backing to increase your capacity.
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

You finish this yet buddy?

I had that thing hanging around for so many years I'm dying to find out about it's new life with a real fisherman!

FatTuna

Hi, Randy.

I have her about half done. I will post some pics. I have a bunch of other reels that I need parts for and I was waiting to do an order all at once. I'm still missing the lugs, rod clamp, and drag washers for this one. The parts SharkHunter gave me really made it look a lot better though.

I have reels that I'm doing for other people too so I always put them first. I promise that I will show you a pic of the finished product when I have everything.

FatTuna

Here is the finished product. It took a while but she is all cleaned up and is very smooth. I had a lot of other projects going on. The gears in this one are excellent, all steel. New drag washers, upgraded reel clamp, new lugs.

There is some brass showing and some pitting but it's not that bad. I feel the flash on the camera always makes it look worse in the pictures. Mechanically, she is 100%, it is a workhorse reel. I will probably spool it with 60lb mono.