Looking for Jigmaster expert to do upgrades for me

Started by pjstevko, April 14, 2015, 10:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I'm not very mechanically savvy, no experience/confidence and have no workspace so I'm looking for a Jigmaster expert to asses and upgrade my 500 for me. I'd like to have the gear sleeve replaced with SS, install a power handle with xl round knob, install a 5+1 drag stack and anything else recommended by the repairer. I'm willing to pay for "labor" and all the parts.

I'm sure for all you guys who have been doing this for years it wouldn't be very hard or take too long so if anyone is interested please let me know.

Thanks

PJ

handi2

Please post where you are located. There are many competent people on here that can do this for you.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

pjstevko

I'm located in Three Rivers, CA (Central Valley) but would but willing to ship the reel to anyone interested in the project

foakes

That is about 50 miles from me.

If you want to send it to me for an assessment of what is needed/wanted -- PM me, and I will respond with a mailing address.  Am just a little down from Shaver Lake -- an hour above Fresno.

Sounds like just a few things needed, along with a service -- we can discuss more once I have the reel in hand.

Should be an easy deal...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

You have the right guy there PJ. Fred is a Machine. ;)
Life is Good!

Big Tim

PJ, Fred has been doing this for years and is as good as it gets around here. I'm in Fresno and can help as well.

Big Tim

It's really kind of plug in and play. The guys here have done all the work to make it easy:

[
URL=http://s743.photobucket.com/user/fresnotim/media/100_2517_zpsf5a3c434.jpg.html][/URL]

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on April 14, 2015, 11:26:38 PM
That is about 50 miles from me.

If you want to send it to me for an assessment of what is needed/wanted -- PM me, and I will respond with a mailing address.  Am just a little down from Shaver Lake -- an hour above Fresno.

Sounds like just a few things needed, along with a service -- we can discuss more once I have the reel in hand.

Should be an easy deal...

Best,

Fred

Fred Thank you for your kind offer and I'd like to take you up on it....you have a pm

foakes

Hi PJ --

Returned PM with info.

There are many Jigmaster experts on this site -- and any will do a very competent job for you.  I am only one of many.

Tim, for example, has done some very impressive work.

What I do tends to run on the conservative side -- although there is nothing wrong with a full blown conversion -- just depends on what your intended targets and fishing methods require.

Millions of fish have been caught with stock Jigmasters -- a few key upgrades just make a stronger, better performing reel.

Once your reel is in hand and returned to you -- if you are satisfied, you might consider working on your reels yourself.  All that is needed is a couple of trays, basic tools, Penn wrench (I will give you one if needed), synthetic oil, marine grease, drag grease, basic cleaning materials, some rags, and a couple of old toothbrushes.

Sometime, we can schedule a couple of hours to just go through one of your reels -- to get familiar and confidence in a few basic processes.  You can swing by the shop -- and we can go over everything to get started.  You will learn to do a basic breakdown, cleaning, inspection, evaluation, cleaning, replace any worn parts, reassemble, adjust, tune for max performance, set reel up for the salt, etc.

You may or may not like doing this -- but most people just need a few pointers, and a little hands on mentoring.

Nothing better than the confidence in knowing how and why your reels operate to their maximum -- and the fact that you did it yourself.

Education, experience, and understanding -- is everything.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

pjstevko

Quote from: foakes on April 15, 2015, 06:00:32 PM
Hi PJ --

Returned PM with info.

There are many Jigmaster experts on this site -- and any will do a very competent job for you.  I am only one of many.

Tim, for example, has done some very impressive work.

What I do tends to run on the conservative side -- although there is nothing wrong with a full blown conversion -- just depends on what your intended targets and fishing methods require.

Millions of fish have been caught with stock Jigmasters -- a few key upgrades just make a stronger, better performing reel.

Once your reel is in hand and returned to you -- if you are satisfied, you might consider working on your reels yourself.  All that is needed is a couple of trays, basic tools, Penn wrench (I will give you one if needed), synthetic oil, marine grease, drag grease, basic cleaning materials, some rags, and a couple of old toothbrushes.

Sometime, we can schedule a couple of hours to just go through one of your reels -- to get familiar and confidence in a few basic processes.  You can swing by the shop -- and we can go over everything to get started.  You will learn to do a basic breakdown, cleaning, inspection, evaluation, cleaning, replace any worn parts, reassemble, adjust, tune for max performance, set reel up for the salt, etc.

You may or may not like doing this -- but most people just need a few pointers, and a little hands on mentoring.

Nothing better than the confidence in knowing how and why your reels operate to their maximum -- and the fact that you did it yourself.

Education, experience, and understanding -- is everything.

Best,

Fred

Fred

I returned your pm and will get the reel in the mail.

Thank you

PJ

Alto Mare

Pj, this is one reel that you could definitely assemble on your own. The new custom stainless steel bridge that I highly recommend, comes with pre assembled dogs and springs, very easy to set in place. We have many tutorials that could assist you an also, we're here if you get stuck.
I'm sure it's not going to take you 5 minutes as it usually takes me, but with a little more time, I have no doubts that you could do it.
We've made the jigmaster very easy to service, others will be just as easy, the 113H is next.

Skip my comment if you've already made arrangements with Fred..

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Hi PJ --

Opened up your package this afternoon with your Jigmaster 500 you sent me.

The reason I am answering this way in the forum -- is so others may learn and/or contribute as possible -- because no one knows everything -- especially me.

First -

Inspected reel and operation -- issues discovered were:

Drag not holding well --
Low drag numbers --
Brass sleeve scored and chewed up a bit --
The spring washer for the drag stack was under the star -- not under the spacer and on top of the drag stack --
Someone had at some point switched out the sleeve with one from a 505, and the star was also fine thread --
Gear was stock speed at 4:1
When the star drag was backed off -- the spool would bind up to a poorly operable point --
When this reel was recently serviced -- there was too much oil in areas, not enough grease in other areas, no grease on the screw threads
All of the screws were way over tightened -- this will put the frame assembly in a twisted tweak sometimes

Second:

Switched some parts around to eliminate possibilities -- and find the culprits causing the issues --
Cleaned up reel to remove too much oil and grease in wrong areas --
Replaced sleeve with a new one
Replaced star with a larger one from a 49 -- since it is recessed to give more star drag travel --
Ground about 1/16" off of a new spacer to also allow more drag adjustment --
Replaced wrong size under gear washer with a smaller CF with Cal's drag grease --
Greased all drag washers with Cal's --
Greased all gears and internal parts with Yamaha Marine grease -- oiled with synthetic oil
Reassembled, adjusted, tuned
Replaced spool -- your spool is bad, and somehow tweaked -- likely a slightly bent tail shaft, it appears --
Added a ringed clamp and bolt assembly to the stand

End result:

Switched with an old 3 piece spool -- there is 61, 63, and 64 seconds of free spool
Reel now has somewhere over 12 pounds of measured drag
Smooth and quiet

Recommendations:

New Aluminum spool
SS sleeve
SS dog
Power handle crank with your choice of knob
If you wish more drag (likely not needed) -- such as a 5 stack from Bryan -- you should also opt for SS gears and a Tiburon frame -- otherwise frame tweaking and/or gear stripping may occur --
Try the reel with 30 pound Big Game -- otherwise, with braid you will possibly wear out the line guides on the rod you purchased --

I can send the reel back to you, and there is no charge, except postage --

Anything you want to add is easy enough for you to do yourself, at this point --

Or you can order what you decide you need from Bryan, Alan, or others here -- and have them ship it to me -- and I will install -- then send back to you.

Or just try it as is --

Let me know...

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

As usual, very nice job Fred, I must say though, the 10-49 star being recessed doesn't really give you additional travel, well it does on the 49, 149, 349, 113 and some others, but not on the jigmaster.
Penn did not do a good job on the jigmaster by having the right side spool bushing at the same height as the plate sleeve. If you did have more travel, the 10-49 would hit that right side bushing, while the sleeve would ride on the recessed area.
We need another 1/8" in length on the Jigmaster's gear sleeve, but no one is listening. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2015, 02:13:11 AM
We need another 1/8" in length on the Jigmaster's gear sleeve, but no one is listening. :-\

And a replaceable "ratchet".
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on April 25, 2015, 02:15:47 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on April 25, 2015, 02:13:11 AM

And a replaceable "ratchet".
Yup!  These on all reels would be a good upgrade:
http://alantani.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=13836.0;attach=11892;image

Shark Hunter

Great work as usual Fred. He should be very happy with that reel.
Life is Good!