Which reels? Dilemma

Started by Sea Dweller, April 20, 2015, 02:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sea Dweller

Ok, everyone... I have posted in the past my limited saltwater background, and most of my conversing on here has been in regards to my 16/0s.

Well, last September on the recommendation of a friend who has far more fishing experience than I have I bought a Penn Fathom 40 (non LW) and bought a Penn Prevail 12' surf rod for it. Well, my friend had a shorter Star Rod that he gave me since we have done most of our fishing together at piers and bridges. I have no complaints at all about this reel and if I keep it, I plan on adding a set of Black Pearl's lower geared SS gearsets.

My dilemma comes as follows... I was randomly looking around the Internet thinking that while I have his nice good and black reel, I would kind of like something a little more vintage and I ran across Penn's US113 offerings with the solid aluminum frame. I like the idea of the Baja Specials and while this is not exactly the same, it is in the same spirit. I like all of the hot rodding of the Tank but overall I like the look of the US113 better. While looks should not overshadow performance, I feel the Tank looks just a little bit less vintage than what I am wanting. Well, I told my friend that I what was bouncing around in my brain and he told me that he is about to buy an Avet 80W, would I like to buy his Pen Torque 300LD? If so, he would sell it to me for $300 fully spooled with 40lb BBG.

I had originally been looking for a classic looking star drag and now I have the option for a golden lever drag reel... But seeing the price of the 300LD, I think I would be silly to pass this deal up!

So my options are:
1 to keep my Fathom, upgrade the gearset and then get the Torque and that way I have one pier/bridge setup and one surf rig with the rods I already have...
2 keep my fathom, upgrade the gearset and then get the US113 that I was originally looking at and then get a nice Fenwick 30-60 rod for it...
3 get the Torque, sell the Fathom and then get the US113...

I would love to hear everyone's opinions on the topic. I have done a lot of reading about the old Senators and the hotrod ding done with them, but I have not looked too much into the Fathom and its capabilities and I know absolutely zero about the Torque series so all opinions are welcome!

Thanks guys!

bestout

let me know if you want to sell the fathom :)
The monsters in my head are scared......

fIsHsTiiCkS

My opinion would be very different then what you are looking at, to me it seems your choices are based on your perference in a reel. I would go with what you want to have and know you will be happy with in the long run.

Sea Dweller

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on April 20, 2015, 04:43:54 AM
My opinion would be very different then what you are looking at, to me it seems your choices are based on your perference in a reel. I would go with what you want to have and know you will be happy with in the long run.

Well, I see myself getting a 4/0 of some sort, eventually or sooner I could not yet say... But I do not know enough about the performance of the Fathom compared to the Torque. I can afford to get one reel right now. So I am looking for whether the 300LD is a worthy upgrade to the Fathom as far as capabilities go. I know dollar value it is obviously a more expensive piece, but that does not always translate into an upgrade in results.

A more specific question: I have heard great things about the castability of the Fathom,by hat is why I bought it. But I have heard different opinions on how well the lever drag Torque will do in this regard. Any insight will be most appreciated!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have tested out a fathom before and really enjoy that reel. Now I can safely say the fathom will out cast the 300LD, if you are looking at a torque with the same like capacity as the 300LD version then I would look at the Torque 40B as they are ideally a beefed up fathom and the new version to the 300 series reels. You can pick one up around $350 new and prob less used. The black series is much cheaper than the gold and only difference is color.

That said it seems to me the 4/0 is more what you would be looking for, hope any of this helps

Sea Dweller

The 4/0 is definitely one that I want. It matches my 16/0-are wick combo and I love me some old school. I got the fathom because I heard such great things about its casting performance. The thought of the 300LD was simmering around because I was thinking that at the price point it was being offered was a great value. I just did not know if that value came with a performance upgrade over the Fathom.

I definitely want an old school casting rig, but I also do like to dabble in the more modern. If the 300LD only has the fact that it is LD to hold over a geared Fathom, then even at a great value it will probably not be worthwhile for me to pick up. And I can out that $300 toward the US113+line.

sundaytrucka

The 300LD torque price you are looking at is a little on the high side. I have seen NIB 100LDs selling for $220, at the Long Beach rod and gun club fishing swap meet, those are 100s, not 300s, even then I feel he would have gone lower than $220, and that is new in the box.

Fathoms are good, torques are cool, and the 113 has a style all its own. As mentioned above, go with what you want to fish with.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

Shark Hunter

Mr. Sea Dweller Sir,
Are you speaking of 16/0's as in the Senator 118?
You say you want an old school reel, but are talking about Fathom's and Torque's.
I know nothing about either one, but I do know a few things about Senators.
Life is Good!

Sea Dweller

I have two 16/0 // 118 reels. The first and best of the two I bought off a charter captain out of Hawaii a few years ago and the second one I got as a parts reel for the sum of $100. The parts reel has all bent cross bars, the stand is caved in, but the spool is in great condition which is more than worth the $100.

I bought the Fathom 40 star drag to be a surf casting reel for small sharks and other fishes.

I had not done a lot of research on most of the newer reels or smaller gear after my initial foray into land based shark fishing. But I ran across info on the new(ish) US113 Senators with the one piece frame. I was thinking that this on a Fenwick 30-60 class rod would be a really cool 'small game' compliment to my big Senators. When I told my friend that I was looking at the new 4/0 is when he mentioned his Torque 300LD. My cursory research showed me that they go for close to $600 new and I knew it was in like new condition. It was not exactly what I am wanting but I wanted to be open minded in case this was one of those deals to jump on.

I know basically nothing about lever drags, and only barely more about my Fathom. So I was trying to figure out if one was decidedly superior for my intended purpose of long distance surf casting. I think that I will ending up getting the US113 reel so at this point it is really only deciding if I should keep the Fathom or sell it and get the 300LD. From what I *think* the responses/consensus is... The Fathom will probably be the better caster and while it *only* has 25lbs of drag, I am not sure the Torque's better performance is enough to warrant.

I *think* my best choice is Fathom/US113. But I am remaining open minded on the off chance that someone has a key piece of information that I did not know or had not considered.

Shark Hunter

I Understand. Let us know which one you decide on. I'm in the same boat as you. ;)
I fish a 12 and 14/0 from shore and use a spinner for a bait reel or a Surfmaster for out in the kayak.
Life is Good!

Sea Dweller

After seeing the Avet 80w that my friend just got... I think I am going to stick with the Fathom for right now and focus on my BIG tackle LoL. Now to get a new 130 rod for my 16/0 because I am afraid to damage my Fenwick with those awesome Mildrum rollers... A sweet classic that was my first shark rod.

Shark Hunter

Post up a pic of that fenwick. I'd love to see it with the 16/0 on it.
I sent you a PM.
Life is Good!