Accurate or Tiburon?

Started by Rancanfish, April 24, 2015, 03:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Okay, here's a question on frame upgrades for my fellow reelers.

If you order a AccuFrame for a 501(6) and a Tiburon (P21 I think),  are you going to find any differences?

And a question that has had me intrigued for a while.  What makes a green Tib frame more expensive than a silver Tib frame?  (EBay example).  $92.00 versus $69.00.  No physical difference other than the color, right?

And if you care to add personal comments pertaining to either that's fine.  I'll start;

I think the huge engraved numbers in the Tib's are ugly.  So I go AccuFrame.  Sorry Tib, just an opinion.  But,  I would still use a Tib on a user fishing reel......'cuz fish don't care!
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

coastal_dan

The green is considered a 'custom' color by Tiburon, similar to the purple. 

I have a silver Tiburon P20 frame and I'm tickled to death with it.  I would certainly not be opposed to an Accurate frame though. 

Rather than one being better than the other for me it was an availability issue.  The Tiburon was new on ebay with a rod clamp and free shipping...if I had seen an Accurate for the same price and contents I would have bought it.  The Accurate may be a bit more expensive though for a NOS unit.

I'm still newish to the reel modding so take my comments with a grain of salt, but there is my .02.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

Accurate
Plus - lighter
plus/minus - integral reel seat
minus - not readily available. Colors may be difficult to find.

Tiburon
Plus - readily available, optional colors are available, and may still be produced giving an ample amount of request for a custom color.
plus/minus - removeable reel seat
minus - heavier

My preference is Accurate myself...no reason, just preference.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

How can a Tib be heavier? Noticeably heavier? Reel seat material?  Is the Tib seat prone to coming loose?

I have a Gold accurate that I forgot I had that I was thinking of trading for a different color.  My sons' 501 is gold, and the one I made up for his buddy is purple.  I want to go silver for myself or, whatever else isn't the same as theirs.  That's how I ended buying the whole set up silver Accurate from my bud Randy the other day.  But as you said Bryan, I can't break up a set, lol.

I'm still not paying a premium for color....just saying.

STRIPER LOU

I probably have a dozen or more reels with both frames. I do like the Accurate but, and as bryan said, more difficult to come by and for some reason I seem to prefer the Tibs. As long as you grease the screw holes an put a thin protective layer of the same on the inside frame, I think either will give you great service. They certainly make a handsome reel! The open top frames are getting harder and harder to find.
The engraved name will grow on you. Once you see how great the finished reel looks you'll be happy! One thing I forgot to add is Accurate quality and innovation is hard to beat!
.......................Lou

Bryan Young

Tiburon frames are thicker than Accurate.  Accurate took out more material out of the frame and employing an embedded reel seat helps the frame to be lighter.

I think the difference is more noticeable when you move up to a 4/0 or 6/0 sized reel.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Thank you for the explaination Brian.  The Tiburon spools are lighter as well, and they have a smaller arbor.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Tunacious

I've got a couple P21's (blue and green) for my Newell 322's. The fit and finish seem to be top notch. As has been stated, insure you properly grease the screws, all screw holes and areas where the ss rings contact the frame and you're good to go. Also, you've got to grease the underside of the removable foot on the base and the screw holes.

Either frame would be fine with me. If the Tib engraving bothers you that much, then stay with the Acc's...I really don't think you can go wrong with either. I have seen Acc plates/frames where the lettering has disappeared. I don't know the cause(s) or if Acc fixed the problem(s). Like so many other things in fishing, it's personal preference.

Alto Mare

In my opinion Accurate did a much better job on machining the parts, to bad they stopped.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on April 24, 2015, 07:22:30 PM
In my opinion Accurate did a much better job on machining the parts, to bad they stopped.

The Accurate parts seem to be machined to tigher tollerances, though I don't like the press fitted headplate bearings.  Also, I have yet to hear of a spool shaft failure on an accurate spool.

The Tiburons are lighter, and seem to have thicker anodizing.
Hope springs eternal

day0ne

The main difference to me is the Accurate frames aren't made any more and haven't been for quite some time, and the Tiburon frames are still made. Finding a new Accurate frame is next to impossible. A big plus for me is the Tib frames in the larger sizes are topless.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rancanfish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 24, 2015, 08:34:03 PM

The Accurate parts seem to be machined to higher tolerances, though I don't like the press fitted headplate bearings.  Also, I have yet to hear of a spool shaft failure on an accurate spool.

We were just talking frames, and Bryan said Tibs are heavier, you are saying lighter.  So you must be referring to the Tib spools then, correct? 

Mac53

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on April 24, 2015, 05:05:42 PM
I probably have a dozen or more reels with both frames. I do like the Accurate but, and as bryan said, more difficult to come by and for some reason I seem to prefer the Tibs. As long as you grease the screw holes an put a thin protective layer of the same on the inside frame, I think either will give you great service. They certainly make a handsome reel! The open top frames are getting harder and harder to find.
The engraved name will grow on you. Once you see how great the finished reel looks you'll be happy! One thing I forgot to add is Accurate quality and innovation is hard to beat!
.......................Lou

Lou - what is the reel in the upper right side of your reel picture?  Mac

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rancanfish on April 24, 2015, 11:42:31 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 24, 2015, 08:34:03 PM
I was, thinking

The Accurate parts seem to be machined to higher tolerances, though I don't like the press fitted headplate bearings.  Also, I have yet to hear of a spool shaft failure on an accurate spool.

We were just talking frames, and Bryan said Tibs are heavier, you are saying lighter.  So you must be referring to the Tib spools then, correct? 

I was thinking of the lighter spools.
Hope springs eternal

Decker

Hi, will a Jigmaster 505HS fit an Accuframe 501, that is with a 501 spool, to make a narrow high-speed Jigmaster?  Thank you.