Penn GLS25 issues

Started by VAOBrian, December 10, 2010, 09:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VAOBrian

So I picked up a Penn GLS from a friend of mine to see if I could do anything with the reel as its freespool wasnt bad - just sluggish but in gear their was a fair amount of resistance when cranking the reel handle.  So why no go to alantani.com and break the mother down!  Pulled up the schematics etc and Alan's breakdown of the 45 GLS - only thing was there wasnt anything on breaking down the gears.  Once I got in to it I quickly realized it was missing a part here and there.  Based on other pics I have found on here I assume there are suppose to be 2 dog bridges, springs and dogs.  No biggie found a source for them.

Next problem was - how do I pull the main gear in order to get the dogs in place and to see if there are more damaged or missing parts?  I pulled the Gear Mounting Screw (#23) but nothing seems to budge - on the other side I pulled the reel handle but it is missing part #50 the gear stud cover but its all off - does it just need some force?  ANything I am missing? 

Here is the pic of the inside of the right plate - Pic 1

And the outside of the right plate less the handle - Pic 2

alantani

i took a look at the schematic (https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/25gls.pdf) and it actually does have a double dog.  i thought it would be right handed versus left handed.  to get the main gear off, you have to pry it out.  the trick is to apply even pressure on opposite sides of the main gear.  if you pry on one side, the main gear will wedge and lock up.  one option is to make two prybars out something, wedge them in at opposite sides and lean the pry bars over to lift on one side of each pry bar.  

the other possibility would be to take 80 pound spectra, slip it under the main gear so that the spectra loops out at 180 degrees and then just pull.  

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

VAOBrian

Thanks Alan - I thought like you that maybe the dogs were left or right hand but it does take 2.  I have a box full of penn wrenches time to make some pry bars - will let you know how it turns out.

Awesome site and have been following your stuff for quite a while on bloodydecks.com - thanks for all your tutorials - you are the best!

alantani

you're welcomed.  and when you do this, make sure you have no contact with the teeth of the main gear. if you nick a gear tooth, you will feel it on every revolution.  but yes, the main gear has to come out to check/pack the right main side plate bearing. 

VAOBrian

Well I tired it but I honestly didnt get the main gear to budge at all - I could be dealing with a bigger issue thought the handle will spin rather freely and the gears seem to free of any unexpected corrosion and the teeth are good. 

Any concern with not being able to pop the main gear and not in having the second dog in place?  Reel mainly would be used for rockfish etc. maybe some blues and spanish

Steve-O

VAOBrian,

Not long back I picked up the same reel and posted regarding some issues with mine.  See the link http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1322.0

Mine has had some serious water intrusion and sticking/rusting parts. I struggled to get the main gear screw off and the gear lifted easily. The photo shows the two dogs in place. I think yours will be fine with only one. I pushed the gear bearing out with a large punch and tapped lightly with a mallet from the plate's out side. Then took the bearing cover rings and plates off just like Alan shows how with a fish hook point. I used a sticky sharp Mustad 15/0 circle hook that was on hand to lift out the locking rings. The grease was like hard brown gelatin chunks coming out. Needless to say some effort was used to resurrect and salvage this bearing. After cleaning it spins like a top.

The secret to getting this whole thing and other stubborn reels apart has been liberal use of CLP break free gun cleaning solvent. If you have anything like it or Liquid Wrench or other penentrating oil it REALLY makes a difference. I soaked the parts and left the bearings in the corner of a baggie submerged while I had supper.

Another trick I did was to chuck a worn sanding flap wheel into my Dremel and spin the bearing  while holding it with needle nose pliers on the inner part and squirting  a bit of break free into it now and then. This may not be an AT approved practice but it worked. What it did was speed polish the "crunchy/gritty" stuff out of the bearings balls. Still a ways to go to get mine in tip top condition but it is vastly improved.

Hope you have good luck with yours.
Steve-O

alantani

if you don't get it out now, you will simply have to deal with it later when the right main side plate bearing seizes up.  get some spectra.  loop one side around the main gear and the other side around a fire hydrant, then pull. 

VAOBrian

Quote from: alantani on December 12, 2010, 04:35:31 PM
if you don't get it out now, you will simply have to deal with it later when the right main side plate bearing seizes up.  get some spectra.  loop one side around the main gear and the other side around a fire hydrant, then pull. 

Fire hydrant located step two coming up!  Thanks for the help guys

Roger

Well, did the fire hydrant work......lol
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

VAOBrian

Quote from: Roger on December 13, 2010, 01:56:21 PM
Well, did the fire hydrant work......lol

So far no - I broke 50 pound braid - I didnt have anything higher at the house so I need to wait until I can get my other braid.

alantani

maybe find a penetrating oil spray.  i use one that freezes the screw.  the one time i needed it, it actually worked!

CaptDavDavis01

Are you in VA?  I may have a old gls 20 frame and right side plate if you can get it going... I think the dog/anitreverse is jacked up, but otherwise good for parts if you local...

also have a complete working 20(i think- writing is all worn off) if your hell bent on using that size of reel.

Danny

VAOBrian

Quote from: CaptDavDavis01 on December 14, 2010, 12:27:47 AM
Are you in VA?  I may have a old gls 20 frame and right side plate if you can get it going... I think the dog/anitreverse is jacked up, but otherwise good for parts if you local...

also have a complete working 20(i think- writing is all worn off) if your hell bent on using that size of reel.

Danny

Hey Danny I am in Richmond VA double check and see I might be interested in both reels -if they are the GLS.  I like them for some of the light tackle saltwater fishing in the bay.  Let me know thanks!

tully

Just reviving an old thread, as I have a 45GLS (which I love) and a 25GLS, which has never really felt "right".
After stripping the 25 many times and a lot of hair pulling, I finally discovered why the reel always felt stiff to wind. The frame is distorted!!
Well, it's only distorted when I tighten the 4 screws at either end of the 2 "posts" (key # 37).
As soon as I loosen the screws, everything comes good and the reel feels perfect.

It seems that the posts aren't quite long enough. Years ago when I first got this reel I stripped it and noticed upon re-assembly that the post screws at opposite ends of the reel were having a tug of war with each other, but never thought anything more of it.
Now I can visually see how the frame pulls across in the area of the lever quadrant if I tighten all 4 screws.
The fix? I'm just going to leave the 2 screws on the clicker end finger tight. There would be a better way, but I'm not going to bother at this stage.

Hope this helps others, I feel better for telling the story.  ;D

P.S. my 25GLS is the older type with 2 x 18mm O/D bearings, before they upgraded to 20mm.  

alantani

the 500 series graphite reels (525, 535, etc.) have the same problem if you overtighten the frame screws.  thanks for pointing this out!