slowing down an avet freespool

Started by bestout, April 25, 2015, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

im trying to slow down a freespool on my avet mxl i has soo much freespool its hard to cast and not get a tangle. i do not have mc cast. so what are my options. i already tried earth magnets but it seems hard to install them.
The monsters in my head are scared......

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on April 25, 2015, 11:20:27 PM
im trying to slow down a freespool on my avet mxl i has soo much freespool its hard to cast and not get a tangle. i do not have mc cast. so what are my options. i already tried earth magnets but it seems hard to install them.

Find some really heavy thick and sticky grease and pack the spool bearings with it.

MarkT

Educate your thumb and cast on, there's no such thing as too much freespool!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

RTT

You could also mag it your self.  Basically cut a steel shim and glue it on the clicker side add rare earth magnetics, adjust the member of magnetics as need.  Cover the hole thing with grease,to stop the rust.

Good luck,
Ray

bestout

Quote from: MarkT on April 25, 2015, 11:52:31 PM
it burns!!!  :(

bestout

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 25, 2015, 11:23:35 PM
Quote from: bestout on April 25, 2015, 11:20:27 PM

Find some really heavy thick and sticky grease and pack the spool bearings with it.
Will try this for sure.
Quote from: RTT on April 26, 2015, 12:06:04 AM
You could also mag it your self.  Basically cut a steel shim and glue it on the clicker side add rare earth magnetics, adjust the member of magnetics as need.  Cover the hole thing with grease,to stop the rust.

Good luck,
Ray
i tried to mag the reel but it was not successful  :(

RowdyW

[/quote]it burns!!!  :(
                                                                                                                                                                                      Buy a golf glove & cut off four of the fingers & leaving the thumb on & it shouldn't burn!

bestout

Quote from: RowdyW on April 26, 2015, 01:38:15 AM

Buy a golf glove & cut off four of the fingers & leaving the thumb on & it shouldn't burn!
[/quote]its the only reel i have trouble casting.

billm

Get the spool bearings out, take out the grease sheilds one side only and fill them with car wheel bearing grease. Put the bearings back in with the remaining shields pointing to the outside. This will slow the reel down lots. Just repack with grease whenever it starts to feel fast.  It lasts forever.

bestout

Quote from: billm on April 26, 2015, 02:13:39 AM
Get the spool bearings out, take out the grease sheilds one side only and fill them with car wheel bearing grease. Put the bearings back in with the remaining shields pointing to the outside. This will slow the reel down lots. Just repack with grease whenever it starts to feel fast.  It lasts forever.
i was leaning towards marine grease

bestout

sometimes it can go down like this  ;D

Reel 224

Brother It's a matter of practice, start slow and then gradually increase your distance. One suggestion that I was told for learning to cast a conventional is to peel off 40' or so and then tape the spool so no more line can spool out. That keeps the reel from overriding the spool. What was said earlier is true you have to train your thumb to gently ride the spooled line.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

bestout

Quote from: Reel 224 on April 26, 2015, 03:13:32 AM
Brother It's a matter of practice, start slow and then gradually increase your distance. One suggestion that I was told for learning to cast a conventional is to peel off 40' or so and then tape the spool so no more line can spool out. That keeps the reel from overriding the spool. What was said earlier is true you have to train your thumb to gently ride the spooled line.
Very useful tip. Thanks mate.

MarkT

Quote from: bestout on April 26, 2015, 01:15:41 AM
Put your thumb on the edge of the spool rather than the middle of the line if you're having problems with burning your thumb. One problem with the MC versions is that it's still on when set to the minimum. It helps when throwing iron but not when casting a 'dine or, even more, with a 'chovy. Truly, experience and your thumb is the best. Magging a reel sounds good, but in reality, it's s like having training reels that can't be removed when you no longer need them.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

alantani

yup, that's the ticket!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!