slowing down an avet freespool

Started by bestout, April 25, 2015, 11:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bestout

Quote from: MarkT on April 26, 2015, 03:25:09 AM
Quote from: bestout on April 26, 2015, 01:15:41 AM
Quote from: MarkT on April 25, 2015, 11:52:31 PM
Educate your thumb and cast on, there's no such thing as too much freespool!
it burns!!!  :(
Put your thumb on the edge of the spool rather than the middle of the line if you're having problems with burning your thumb. One problem with the MC versions is that it's still on when set to the minimum. It helps when throwing iron but not when casting a 'dine or, even more, with a 'chovy. Truly, experience and your thumb is the best. Magging a reel sounds good, but in reality, it's s like having training reels that can't be removed when you no longer need them.
im throwing 10oz leads. its kinda hard to grab the side of the spool when its fully spooled but ill try to practice
The monsters in my head are scared......

MarkT

I was figuring sardines or 3-4oz jigs.  I don't think the mc on full would save you from a backlash without your thumb on the spool if you're trying to throw 10oz for the fences. Where I fish heavy jigs are for yoyoing and you just drop it over the side with the wind in your face so the boat drifts away from it. You start cranking when it hits the bottom or it's below suspended fish.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

bestout

Quote from: MarkT on April 26, 2015, 04:22:38 PM
I was figuring sardines or 3-4oz jigs.  I don't think the mc on full would save you from a backlash without your thumb on the spool if you're trying to throw 10oz for the fences. Where I fish heavy jigs are for yoyoing and you just drop it over the side with the wind in your face so the boat drifts away from it. You start cranking when it hits the bottom or it's below suspended fish.
yeap 10oz and when its rought maybe 12oz from a jetty

johndtuttle

Quote from: bestout on April 26, 2015, 04:29:12 PM

Yea, the guys saying to just practice do have a point but....casting 10oz is gonna generate some speed with a long slow rod. Most worry about casting way lighter stuff that is a lot easier to control. It takes a lot of thumb pressure to slow down 10-12 oz...

Heavy grease on the bearings may not be enough. Protect your thumb as it's gonna take a lot of pressure to control that.

alantani

you know, you could just shoot some grease into the center of the spool along the spool shaft.   fill up that entire area.  that would definitely slow things down.  but then your reel would definitely be limited to chucking 10 ounce jigs. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

bestout

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 26, 2015, 05:03:55 PM
Quote from: bestout on April 26, 2015, 04:29:12 PM

Yea, the guys saying to just practice to have a point but....casting 10oz is gonna generate some speed with a long slow rod. Most worry about casting way lighter stuff that is a lot easier to control. It takes a lot of thumb pressure to slow down 10-12 oz...

Heavy grease on the bearings may not be enough. Protect your thumb as it's gonna take a lot of pressure to control that.
thumb its done lol. those lashes it makes HURT.

bestout

Quote from: alantani on April 26, 2015, 05:09:50 PM
you know, you could just shoot some grease into the center of the spool along the spool shaft.   fill up that entire area.  that would definitely slow things down.  but then your reel would definitely be limited to chucking 10 ounce jigs.  
Thats all i do Alan. all my fishing its from pier and jetty. So just casting 8-12 oz leads all day. Gotta LOVE the squidder on 10oz i dont even thumb it and goes as far as i can see

theluckpusher

???so what is the best old school penn for distance cast??? ???
"To Hell with Luck, I'll bring the Luck with Me." ---Hemingway

bestout

Quote from: theluckpusher on April 26, 2015, 06:55:15 PM
This might apply rule #4,#5,#6

CapeFish

what rod are you using?  you should be able to wind a 10oz a serious distance without a problem if you have the right rod and have the reel at the bottom. Wet the line as well before you cast it helps. With a guard on your thumb you are going to end up burning the line. Start practicing on flat ground and not on a pier. Have a long drop and stwrt with an off the ground cast as it helps you to get a smooth action. a smooth action is key but requires a balanced setup as well.

bestout

Quote from: CapeFish on April 26, 2015, 07:21:19 PM
what rod are you using?  you should be able to wind a 10oz a serious distance without a problem if you have the right rod and have the reel at the bottom. Wet the line as well before you cast it helps. With a guard on your thumb you are going to end up burning the line. Start practicing on flat ground and not on a pier. Have a long drop and stwrt with an off the ground cast as it helps you to get a smooth action. a smooth action is key but requires a balanced setup as well.
12ft ugly stick big water

conchydong

I remembered reading some tutorials on magging Avets a long time ago. See if this will help you. Remember with 10 oz. you may need a lot of magnets.
http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/helpful/tips-and-tricks/magging-an-avet-mxj/

bestout

i have mixed some penn grease with yamaha marine grease lets see how it works out. i haven't yet open the bearing to grease them

bestout

Alan greasing the center tube didnt help much i will grease the bearings

Bryan Young

Quote from: theluckpusher on April 26, 2015, 06:55:15 PM
The smallest reel in Hawaii we throw with this much lead weight is Penn's 113HLW.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D