113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomT

Baja special drags---
In Alan's tutorial he states that the Baja special should get an "easy" 25#'s of drag.  I just service 4 of these and got from 19 to 22#'s.  I am sure my drag testing method leaves a lot to be desired.  I attached the scale to the bottom of my fence and attached the baja specials to a fishing pole.  I then tied the fishing line to the scales.  With the star backed off all the way there was some resistance to the drag, but when I got the reel to slip, there was no movement of the scale.  I then tightened the drag a little and went to approx 5# drag.  Then tightened more and went to about 12# drag before the drag slipped.  Buttoned down all the way I got approx 20 #'s drag.  All 4 reels did approx the same.  I had just serviced these reels and found everything clean and dry.  I lubed the drags with Cal's grease and greased the reels.  I did NOT test the drags BEFORE servicing, but they were all working and nothing was wrong with the reels.
Should these reels test to a higher drag??   Is my testing system close enough for determining drag? 

I would like to add that I have been fishing all my life and I have never tested a drag to see if the reel was working correctly.  It either had drag or it didn't.  I now have even MORE respect for Sal & others who are testing drags all the time!  ;D  At 10 to 12 #'s I could crank the handle to get the drags to slip.  At 20#'s of drag there is no way I could crank the handle.   :D  I just had to hold the pole and lift up the end to get the drags to slip.  Our testors need to be nicknamed Hulk or Terminator!! ;D

I am satisfied that my drags are working OK.  But should I be concerned that they should test to higher than 25#'s?  Should I alter my testing procedure?
Thanks,
TomT

alantani

it's been a while, but the one i had was buttoned down pretty good when i put a scale to it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

SoCalAngler

I get 27lbs of drag on my 113HN with the star turned to stupid tight. I also cleaned the drag washers and installed Cal's grease before the test.

Alto Mare

Quote from: TomT on May 31, 2014, 11:24:50 PM
Baja special drags---
Should these reels test to a higher drag??   Is my testing system close enough for determining drag?  

I would like to add that I have been fishing all my life and I have never tested a drag to see if the reel was working correctly.  It either had drag or it didn't.  I now have even MORE respect for Sal & others who are testing drags all the time!  ;D  At 10 to 12 #'s I could crank the handle to get the drags to slip.  At 20#'s of drag there is no way I could crank the handle.   :D  I just had to hold the pole and lift up the end to get the drags to slip.  Our testors need to be nicknamed Hulk or Terminator!! ;D

Tom, it's really not that hard testing drags at high numbers. If you tie a line to a fence, having a scale in between, you'll be surprised how much you could pull by lifting and bending the rod while walking backwards and giving a good pull. I usually use a belt and heavier line to do my tests, I don't have the time to keep messing with  snapping lines. The results from must of my tests are NOT where the reel should be fished at, I usually push them to the max. The hardest drag test to me is by turning the handle while retrieving rolling weight...as a wagon and bricks, that one will give you a workout, but still doable. While testing drags with rolling weight as you turn the handle, you'll be testing gears, handle, frame, drags...everything on that reel. On my latest test I was pulling a rolling weight at 32 lbs, I got there with a couple of different reel, so I know 32lbs is my limit as I turn the handle. What surprised me was the two speed reel, I was able to push that same reel at 42lbs by shifting to low gear and it was still smooth. Holding a hanging weight while the rod is attached to something, you could go as high as 55lbs, depending on the rod and reel that you're testing at the time, you just need to make sure that you don't stand in front of the rod as you add weight.
My tests are posted here so anyone could confirm, there is no magic to it, it just happens ;D.

Mike Rice could hold close to 30lb without a belt ;D 

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TomT

Sal,
First let me say that I am honored to be having a discussion with Alto Mare.  I have been following Alan for a few years on fishing board sites.  A couple of years ago, I joined atani.com and have logged over 19 Days reading on this site and have fewer than 100 posts.  I have read almost everything posted on this site in the last 2 years and many posts from up to 5 years ago.  I always read everything you have to say and TRY to understand what you are saying.  There are about 50+ of you guys that are simply amazing!!  The rest of us are in awe!  :)
On the drag testing, I am sure some of my limits are the reel I was using (it's gear ratio, etc).  I am also sure some of the limits are my old arthritic body.  But I am not a 100# weakling. ;)   There is a county song that says, "I am not as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was". ;D    I am just wondering if there is a difference in the drag that you could physically get by cranking the handle as you can get by lifting the pole--especially on a dead weight like a fence post??  For example, I could get 20# drag by lifting the pole, but by cranking against the dead weight, I could only crank the handle up to 15#'s.  Maybe if I had the weight on your wagon, (or Sharkhunter's dog), I could crank the handle up to more drag?  The real test is for me to load up a wagon and try for myself.  But then I would need to rig up a mounting setup for the pole similar to yours.
I also have a new found respect for guys that actually fish at super high drags. 
Thanks for all you do for all of us.
TomT

Alto Mare

Tom, thanks for your kind words, but I'm just one of the guys learning things as we move along. There are lots of talented members here and as you, I'm just glad to be part of it and trying to absorb as much as I could.
Yes, the reel will take more stress lifting dead weight vs rolling weight, if you're able to lift 15lbs by turning the handle, you're not as weak as you think you are ;).
Let me point out that there is no need for you to do any tests as I do, my tests are not just for drags, they're also for gears.
The most simple way to test drags is by hooking a scale to anything that you believe  will hold, if it doesn't, you will then need to explain to the wife that the patio door handle was already damaged ;D, and pull by bending the rod about 3 or 4 feet.
You could increase it gradually as you get to the max, or to your settings that you want to be at.
On my star drag reels, I could get very close to my settings just by pulling the line with my hands.
After doing this for a while, anyone else could do it.
On rolling weight, the reel that you use has a lot to do with it, my latest test proved that a tiny two speed reel was much smoother than my 9/0 at high setting, actually the two speed reel pulled 10lbs more and with less effort.
Does this mean that the two speed reel is better than the 9/0? I'm going to say no, it depends of the type of fishing.
Try the wagon and weight, I would love to see someone else do it...I could send you some bricks, never mind, I won't be able to fit that many in a flat rate box ;D
Take care Tom, Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

floating doc

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 25, 2014, 06:19:07 PM
Quote from: floating doc on April 24, 2014, 03:36:13 AM
I took my 113HN apart to grease the drag, and get a coating of grease on all of bare inner surfaces. I can't get the eccentric springs back in without them riding underneath the eccentric.  :P 

I'm a little confused by your problem. Can you give us more info?

best

I got it done with some advice from another post. Thanks for asking. Here's a link if anyone else has this problem:

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10643.0

Sorry for not replying sooner, but I wanted to add this link, and it's hard to do that on my phone. I'm finally on my computer today.
Central Florida

crackerman

If anyone has one of these 113hn drag washers kicking around, could post a picture of it next to or on top of a 115 and more importantly a 116l drag washer? I am very curious the see the difference.
Thanks
Graham

maxpowers

Well the 113 HN drag washer are eared.  Are you looking to compare the non eared portion to the 115 drag washer? 

crackerman

I was looking to compare the id of the main gears and see if modifying a 115 or 116 gear would be feasible with this type of washer.

maxpowers

Widening the ID is easy to do.  Were you thinking of making cutting grooves in the gears?  I think you probably better off with the HEXAGON method instead, especially with brass gears.

Bill_N

I just picked up a Baja Special. It came with the reel lugs reversed. I took the screws out that go through the lugs expecting them to drop out but no cigar. Do I have to disassemble the sideplates to take them out and reverse them?

I guess this is a neat feature, but why not assemble them out? On a reel that prodces over 20 lbs of drag you'd think most people would want them that way.
Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/

alantani

No lugs when fishing the rail. They switch out easy. Just pop off the side plate.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill_N

Thanks for the reply! I'm sure you're right but no rail on my boat :)
Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/

Bill_N

Well I'm embarrassed to say that I was excited to get the lugs turned around tonight and removed the eccentric lever before pulling the sideplate. I now realize I didn't have to and the lug has turned so I can't get the lever on so it works properly. Is there a sticky on this somewhere?