113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

If you look at the picture I posted you can see the right side dog "floating" on the pin. All of the ones I have been thru are all the same. I have never heard of any problems like this before but the way they are designed the main gear lays on top and keeps the dogs in place.

I stole this picture from Alan and you can see it much better.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

MarkT

Maybe put a washer on top of the dog so the main can hold it down?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

handi2

Quote from: maxpowers on November 23, 2014, 07:19:05 PM
i found another problem with the baja.  yesterday i was going to service my baja for the offseason.  i was not able to get the reel into gear no matter what.  i took the reel apart and found that the pinion shaft and the pinion did not slide easily.  the springs and the yoke were stillin good shape.  I cleaned out the pinion as best i could and also cleaned and lubed the shaft.  afterward i was able to get the reel in gear again.  but now i really am leery of using this reel if this happen again.

The yoke is designed to go in one way. It has been machined with a smooth spot on the side that the eccentric jack rides on. Much like the Shimano and other reels. That may be the problem.
Gulf Breeze, FL

maxpowers

Quote from: handi2 on December 05, 2014, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: maxpowers on November 23, 2014, 07:19:05 PM
i found another problem with the baja.  yesterday i was going to service my baja for the offseason.  i was not able to get the reel into gear no matter what.  i took the reel apart and found that the pinion shaft and the pinion did not slide easily.  the springs and the yoke were stillin good shape.  I cleaned out the pinion as best i could and also cleaned and lubed the shaft.  afterward i was able to get the reel in gear again.  but now i really am leery of using this reel if this happen again.

The yoke is designed to go in one way. It has been machined with a smooth spot on the side that the eccentric jack rides on. Much like the Shimano and other reels. That may be the problem.

Handi2,

This reel was working fine on my previous trip.  After the trip I gave it a quick wash and racked it.  Thinking I will go back out in a few days I did not do a thorough wash down.  Time passed and I was going thru my gears to do a winter cleaning and check-up.  The Baja would not go into gear and I didn't understand why.  After taking it apart and visually inspecting to see I could not find anything wrong.  Only when I got the pinion out and was trying to take the pinion shaft out that I noticed that the shaft was stuck fairly tight on the pinion.  I suspect had the reel been left in gear, I would have never found this out.  Maybe I am the only one to have this happen to but it is somewhat disheartening for a nice feature like the live spindle to potentially have this issue. 

Bryan Young

it could also be the bearings that are causing this problem.  There are 2 bearings to support the live spindle/pinion gear.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

maxpowers

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 05, 2014, 09:06:46 PM
it could also be the bearings that are causing this problem.  There are 2 bearings to support the live spindle/pinion gear.

The bearings are fine.  They are opened and oiled with TSI.  They actually spin like crazy.  It was the pinion shaft and the pinion basically stuck in freespool mode even though it was engaged.  I think this doesn't happen as often because most reels are left in gear.  Once dislodged, the pinion slid very easy on the shaft, and engaged the main crisply.

handi2

I did some research on a similar Penn reel using thinner metal washers and drag washers and could only fit one more. I didn't think it was worth it. It was a Penn Torque..
Gulf Breeze, FL

BMITCH

Hey folks, I'm jumping into a service on a Baja for a friend. Got to the spool and noticed it's the new style with the bearing in the spool. Question is how to remove the bearing for cleaning and service. You guys using a small hook or something similar??
luck is the residue of design.

alantani

if it's the tiny bearing on the right side of the spool, be very careful not to crush it.  it should come out easily. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

Yeah that's the one Alan. What do you do? Get up under it with a hook pick and pull out?

BMITCH

Ok, quick question. I briefly read through this tutorial and saw no mention of opening up the bearings and TSIing them. Do all the bearings get opened? What about the one for the handle slop? This one will be exposed most often to saltwater. Do you guys leave this one sealed?

alantani

just the spool bearings.  the bearing around the base of the gear sleeve can be packed with cal's grease since it's so close the drag washers.  the bearing that supports the drive shaft and is located under the star can be packed with yamaha grease. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

BMITCH

steelfish

does the steel rings on the side plates could be take out from the side plates just like the 113h?

I tried to take them out to put some light grease and prevent corrosion but they seem to be glued or something.. didnt tried too hard to dont crush or put nicks on the rings.

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on July 23, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
does the steel rings on the side plates could be take out from the side plates just like the 113h?

I tried to take them out to put some light grease and prevent corrosion but they seem to be glued or something.. didnt tried too hard to dont crush or put nicks on the rings.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the screws going into the frame are well greased you have solved the biggest worry. As tight as they fit the side plate little salt will get behind them.

After a service I wipe down the outside with a rag to remove excess grease from the screw holes etc and rub this all over the reel. Puts a light coat of grease all over the outside. These rings may be stainless as well...Keta has my reel so I can't check for you.