Has Anyone Ever Seen A PENN 5000 GCS Before ???

Started by ez2cdave, May 05, 2015, 01:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

I just saw this reel on eBay ...

It's called a "PENN 5000 GCS", but appears to be a 555GS with a different "badge" on it ...

Has anyone heard of this model ? Country of origin (made in the USA), where it was marketed ?

Thanks, in advance !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-5000-GCS-high-speed-REEL-new-in-box-NIB-5000GCS-aka-555-GS-FISHGRAIN-/221761671022?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a2068f6e

thorhammer

I have one. I believe it was the first year of production of the GS series and was the only model, then the line radiated. It is essentially a 555. I fished 555's and 545's out of CB for kings and mahi when i lived there, and 535's and 525's from the dirt for drum. i love the reels and hate they got disco'd. For fishability $175 is out of whack when you can get a 555 for $80. i'd say its only worth it because it's rare; I have the only one I've ever seen actually.

ez2cdave

I figured that it might have been badged for an "overseas market", with a different name than we see in the USA.

Thanks for the info ...

Tight Lines !!!

thorhammer

thats possible but i did get mine off ebay in the states in about 2002 i think

intili

I actually sold that guy a bunch of my reels, he had them listed for a lot of money, don't know if he actually sold them for what he had them listed for or not.

ez2cdave

Quote from: intili on May 06, 2015, 04:23:22 PM
I actually sold that guy a bunch of my reels, he had them listed for a lot of money, don't know if he actually sold them for what he had them listed for or not.

His reels appear to be in "perfect condition", but he's a little too "proud" of them, price-wise, in my opinion !

intili

yeah, he had three of mine on his site, funny how they were "custom professionally modified"