Second dog on penn 704

Started by Marcq, May 06, 2015, 10:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

One of the first thing I wanted to do on my new 704 project was finding a way to install a second dog, was easier then I thought

Red dot perfect location for the new dog

Was going to use a brass standoff but the tread were a bit small 6-32, my plan was to drill a hole were the red dot is, tap it 6-32, shape the standoff to accommodate the dog

But I went with a stainless standoff, shaped it and use 8-32 tread, much beefier

The parts

A bit of permanent locktight

The dog is in and works perfect

Marc..

handi2

That's really cool..! You can also put a one way bearing up top on the pinion.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Marcq

Quote from: handi2 on May 06, 2015, 11:33:23 PM

Thanks!! Yeah, my intention was, hoping to use silent dogs, but couldn't do it . I'm not too crazy with the tic tic tic. the one way bearing would have solved that, sure would have made it bullet proof
Going to try weaker springs so it doesn't sound like a bomb clicking

Marc..

bestout

is that one going to be shiny too  ;D ;D
The monsters in my head are scared......

Marcq

fIsHsTiiCkS

is that alternating or simultaneous

Marcq

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on May 07, 2015, 12:36:45 AM
is that alternating or simultaneous

I'll know when I get my other dog, I mod the one that came with the reel and my new dog takes forever the get here  ::) but hope it will be simultaneous

Marc..

Marcq

You can also put a one way bearing up top on the pinion.

You got me thinking, I read somewhere that someone had done it before but looking at the reel  I can't see how it could be done, by one way bearing, do you mean anti reverse bearing?

Marc..

Alto Mare

Very good job Marc!  I don't mind the clicking, unless I was trying to get some sleep.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Marcq

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 07, 2015, 01:04:03 AM
Very good job Marc!  I don't mind the clicking, unless I was trying to get some sleep.

Thanks Sal. I don't mind the clicking on conventional , but spinners resonate like  guitars, small click sounds  like hell

Marc..

coastal_dan

Funny you say that about the ticking Marc, when fishing my 710z this past weekend at first I hated the ticking (first time using it).  But as I was reeling in fish I kept thinking "oh yeah, I LOVE the ticking."  Time will tell

BTW, the stuff you do to your spinners is awesome and inspirational...keep it up!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

bestout

Quote from: coastal_dan on May 08, 2015, 08:55:03 PM

BTW, the stuff you do to your spinners is awesome and inspirational...keep it up!

+1
The monsters in my head are scared......

Doug

Nice job I always wondered if it could be done

foakes

Great and clever job!

The one thing about the clicking of double dogs -- they never fail.

ARBs are smooth and nice -- but they can, will, and do fail -- particularly in the surf.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

I kinda like this idea, for those of us that service our own reels as religiously as those of our friends and customers. 

Next thing you guys will be milling out the spool to accept a versa drag system on these old metal spinners :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.