Biggest bluefish I ever seen

Started by newport, May 17, 2015, 05:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

measured 42 inches. got it steaked up for the grill.

Normslanding

Aiala

That's a huge chopper! What'd it weigh??  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

newport

Quote from: Aiala on May 17, 2015, 06:11:16 PM
That's a huge chopper! What'd it weigh??  :)

~A~
Hi, Aiala. I generally don't bring my fish to be weighed in mostly because I bleed all my fish right away. I would say it is at least over 20lbs. I should get a buy a boga scale before my next trip out.

Doug

That's a big one for sure . If you caught that in the NE around NJ it doesn't surprise me we have been invaded by large blues early killing the spring striper run.

bestout

The monsters in my head are scared......

johndtuttle

Dominick

Even small Blues fight like crazy so this must have been great fun.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ChileRelleno

Holy Sharkbait Batman!  :o  Nice Blue.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Reel 224

Those are the blues that cross your eyes when they hit, and when you catch them on the party boats they end up crossing up everyone. Nice one bro, but believe me there are bigger ones out there. Keep on going at it and you will top that one.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Aiala

Quote from: Reel 224 on May 17, 2015, 11:09:03 PM
Nice one bro, but believe me there are bigger ones out there. Keep on going at it and you will top that one.

The IGFA's current all-tackle record for Pomatomus Saltatrix is 31 lbs. 12 ounces, although Wikipedia states that they can weigh up to 40 lbs (which I rather doubt.)  ::)

http://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/pomatom_saltat.htm

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

conchydong

That is a nice Bluefish. In the Fall and early winter we catch small ones in the surf in S. Florida mostly 10-16 inches. However in the early spring, large schools of big ones like the one you caught are often found well offshore migrating back north. If you are lucky enough to find one of these migrating schools  it can be a lot of fun. I don't know why the big ones are never near shore in our area. Nice catch, I would've smoked that one for some dip.

newport

Indeed, it put up a hell of a fight, especially with the current ripping as it was. A lot of big blues were caught that day that were over 30" , but this one had everyone gawking haha. We were all thinking it might have been a big striper. There's got to be bigger ones out there and possibly even a record breaker.

newport

Quote from: Doug on May 17, 2015, 06:33:09 PM
That's a big one for sure . If you caught that in the NE around NJ it doesn't surprise me we have been invaded by large blues early killing the spring striper run.
Yep, it was in NJ., and like you said, lots of big blues. It's all everyone is talking about this year. As far as stripers, I been mostly catching a lot of shorts. I know a couple nice ones caught off the surf at night. What I have been noticing though is the lack of weakfish. I usually start seeing a ton of them around late April.

Quote from: conchydong on May 17, 2015, 11:45:02 PM
That is a nice Bluefish. In the Fall and early winter we catch small ones in the surf in S. Florida mostly 10-16 inches. However in the early spring, large schools of big ones like the one you caught are often found well offshore migrating back north. If you are lucky enough to find one of these migrating schools  it can be a lot of fun. I don't know why the big ones are never near shore in our area. Nice catch, I would've smoked that one for some dip.
I'm thinking the bigger ones are less tolerant of warm water. I see the smaller ones that you describe all year round

Reel 224

It's been a crazy spring, one week it's cold at night then next it's hot. Stripers may run later this month who knows, I haven't had the chance to really fish this season yet so I have no idea. I do plan on getting out some time this week. I will say that fishing at night for stripers has always yielded  the bigger fish for me, but I don't fish off shore in a boat.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."