Main Menu

Aloha

Started by DaveO, May 19, 2015, 09:11:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveO

Aloha and thanks for adding me to this awesome site.

I'm a fairly new salt water fisherman. As such I got a little to excited and purchased two International 50's on two Penn Tuna sticks off CL. All my friends told me to forgo the senators and go with Internationals. Well since I didn't know much about the reels I though OK, two poles and reels this should be a good start. Now I realized that these are older Penns and the drag on one is very tight. I would like to get them looked at and serviced or even modified. I'm in Honolulu and was wondering if there is anyone on Oahu that can help?

I could take to a shop but after perusing this site I think some custom work may be in order. I would like to support a private repair person. I was also wondering if anyone has experience with the Tiburon frames in these 50's

Mahalo

Tightlines667

Dave,
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase.  Those are good reels.  I can certainly help you out.  I'm on Oahu and service mostly Internationals, and Tiagras.  I'll PM you with my contact info.  Give me a call or send me a text and we can discuss.  The only problem I have is I am quite backlogged at the moment.   ai havn't installed any Tiburon frames or done any 2-speed conversions on these older Internationals yet, but I can certainly handle the former.  The stands on the 80s, are a weak point over years of use, but provided your stands are in good condition, I would stick to a full service, and drag upgrade, try em out, and you can slways add a frame later if you like.  Otherwise you can certainly do the work yourself, and we can provide you with a bit of help if you need it.  I do have parts in stock for your reels, just be a few weeks or better before I could get to them.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

Welcome, Dave --

John is your man when it comes to Penns -- particularly Internationals -- very careful and good attention to detail.  Plus he is close -- so shipping is a non-issue.

But you should do a few Penns such as Senators or such -- on your own.

The most gratifying thing for me about this site -- watching a new person become a seasoned pro reel mechanic.

Everything here is about information, knowledge, resources available -- and of course, friendship.

Most folks who haunt this board will become more expert in 60 days of observing and paying attention to the education offered freely -- then most fisherman will learn in a lifetime.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 19, 2015, 10:37:05 AM
Dave,
Welcome, and congrats on your purchase.  Those are good reels.  I can certainly help you out. 

x2!  welcome!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DaveO

Wow, Thanks guys. I'm super stoked to be here.

Bryan Young

Aloha Dave.

E komo mai.  Good to have you on board. 

For local service and local advise, I don't think you can beat John or Kamuwela.

Ahi Fever is coming up...and a few are coming up recently.  Get them ready and charge me while they are around.

If you need trolling Lures, and want to go to the sources, I know a few...otherwise, POP, 5 Oceans 7 Seas, Nanko's, Hobitat,... have a good selection of lures.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Aloha DaveO.

E komo mai.  Good to have you on board.  Mahalo.  Dominickamehameha
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bill B

All what they said... ;D...and Welcome from the Sacramento Delta....the Left Coast....and I mean Left...them beeee some crazy people here....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Dominick on May 19, 2015, 07:39:17 PM
Aloha DaveO.

Dominickamehameha

I missed this one. Welcome Dave O ;D
Dominick, you are a riot! :D
Life is Good!

PE Pete

Kiaora Dave, am thinking of heading to your Islands next year. How's the fishing bro?
Pete

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!