Penn 3/0

Started by broadway, December 26, 2010, 07:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Hey guys,

As most of you know I've been working on a Senator Series Collection and have only one reel (Penn 113HL) to go.  After crackin' all of these beauties open I'm perplexed with the 3/0 (black side plates) construction.  Why is it the only reel from the senator series that has the take apart-style inner frame like the jigmaster?  I didn't have any problems with the take down and assembly...just curious.  Why wouldn't they have just put the side plate screws straight through to the cross bars?  I'm confused ???  Thanks
Dom

Norcal Pescador

Hey, Dom -
Maybe the responsible designer/engineer at Penn got into the holiday sake. ??? :-\ 
My other theory is that, like other complex machines of various sizes and functions, ideas and technology were "borrowed" from other proven designs and cobbled together to make a composite product. Or maybe I'll go have some more rum balls! ;D ;D

Hope you had a good Christmas.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

punching holes in rings and side plates takes time and money.  this might have been a way for them to cut back. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kapnd

The 3/0 may well share parts with the jigmaster, so if you need parts, it might be worth a comparison. 
I have owned both of these reels and found them to be equally inadequate for my type of fishing!
Not to belittle either reel, they both were "state of the art" in their heyday, making them well qualified as collector's items.
How about posting some pics of the collection?

broadway

I was thinking it had to be more cost effective... but now that Rob mentioned it...sake could be the real answer :D I had a great Christmas... hope all of you did too.  I know Rob did...he's got rum balls...does that happen when you drink to much rum and your stomach fills up?  ;D

Dominick

Hey Dom:  Did you have Christmas Struffoli at Uncle Dom's?  Does anyone make them anymore?  I'm beat, I'll PM you tomorrow.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Hey Dom!  I sent a PM twice.  Did you receive it?

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Phinaddict

Lemme see if I got this right....
Dom is asking Dom if he ate at Dom's??

The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

broadway

Hey Phin,

Believe it or not... YES  :)  Ain't that funny as hell...LOL!  I just finished shoveling, plowing, blowing, and salting mother nature's white misery!   I'm shot! I usually only sleep 4 or 5 hours per night at best, but I've been up since 4AM Monday (sunday night).  That puts me at 48 hours without closing my eyes with the exception of the hour and ten minutes I waited for my lunch to be delivered this afternoon.  Dom, I'll PM ya tomorrow when I can see straight.  PS- don't let the TV fool ya... we got 20" of snow in Central Park, but my parking lots had about 40"-50" solid across all of them (4) from the snow drifting. Why couldn't it have drifted to Jersey, where they like snow???!!!! ;)  I HATE SNOW!!!  I'm going to bed now...night night.
Dom  

Bryan Young

Quote from: broadway on December 29, 2010, 09:17:40 AM
 I HATE SNOW!!!Dom  
You should move to Cali.  If you feel homesick, you can always drive to Tahoe.lol.

My friends on Long Island are hating life as well.  At lease misery love company, right?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: BryanYoung on December 29, 2010, 09:31:17 AM
Quote from: broadway on December 29, 2010, 09:17:40 AM
 I HATE SNOW!!!Dom  
You should move to Cali.  If you feel homesick, you can always drive to Tahoe.lol.

My friends on Long Island are hating life as well.  At lease misery love company, right?
Yup! Good ol' sunny, soggy California. :-\  Dom, pm me your address and I'll send you some toothpicks to keep your eyelids open while plowing or some sake to close them for sleeping. ;) Come on out and try some left coast fishing.
Rob

alantani

fishing is probably better in new york! ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

broadway

Rob,

Send the toothpicks...FAST!!!!  You guys wanna laugh?  I went to bed after 5 AM for the first time in 2 days... I then get woken up at 930AM by my neighbor across the hall handing me my house keys that I had left in the door last night... I was FRIED!  Guess, I'll sleep when I die... it's overrated anyway ;)

Bryan,

Long Island got a good hammering, too!  ... I feel for your boys cause snow removal is the hardest thing I do during the course of the year, and have done it since I was a kid.  My family has run (now I do) parking lots for over 45 years, and we MUST open.  This is the first time EVER that it took 3 days to clean it up.  Tell your friends what they need is a woman to pamper them a little when they get home from that grueling work... trust me ;)

Alan,

Is fishing that bad?  Should it be better for this time a year? ... cause I hang my rod up (???) with the exception of my Fla. trip to see mom.  What SHOULD be biting? I'm jealous of you warmer-climated fisherman because you get to enjoy your passion and love 365 days a year.  I can work on reels and my boat, etc., but it ain't fishing :'(

Dom

Norcal Pescador

I know what you're saying, Dom. You're not talking tired or even fatigued; you're talking exhaustion!! :P :P

The only fishing now is from land [surf or pier] but it's winter so we've got gale warnings posted from Oregon to Mexico. Fin fishing isn't that wonderful, but the crab season looks like it'll be a good one!
Rob
Rob

Dominick

Quote from: Phinaddict on December 29, 2010, 06:19:03 AM
Lemme see if I got this right....
Dom is asking Dom if he ate at Dom's??

Phin: That's why we ended of with so many nicknames in the old neighborhood.  Growing up I was called butch, but there was Fat Dom, Dom Red, Dommy and Dom Dom :D.  I don't want to get into the Joes and Joeys ::).  It was crazy making.  The Italians had to follow tradition.  At our family get togethers we had to distinguish Uncle Dom, Grandpa Dom, cousin Dom, etc.   ;D