Drag star releases when you turn the handle.

Started by Rancanfish, June 20, 2015, 06:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rancanfish

Okey dokey,  I am too lazy to keep searching for the answer.

One of my 501's has an issue.  When I turn the handle, the drag star hangs up and backs off the drags.  I adjust it back down, and though it looks like it's turning with the handle, it slowly backs off again.

This was answered before in another thread, but my search skills can't locate.

???  I had previously done a poor job of grinding down one of the SS sleeves so I decided to try another from Alan. New one was too short at 10.4mm, so I dis-assembled the reel and added a belville to the existing one.  The new sleeve now stuck out enough, but then this new issue cropped up.  The drag works fine if closed down 3/4 or more.  With a light drag setting, it backs off.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Most likely the metal washers are not right, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed and on. The top washer should be a keyed washer.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Well, the good news is I have you guys to help.

The bad news is, I was just playing around with the unbolted handle and rounded off the sleeve.  Can't believe I was so dumb.

The good news is, I have a a new SS sleeve and 5+1 drag kit from Bryan.

The bad news is I'm gonna have to swap all the new good parts into my Accurate framed 501. And use the parts from that to put into this reel.  I'll probably solve the problem without knowing what it was.  The stack looked fine. The eared washer was still in the slots.

One little boo boo and I am working on two reels now. ::)

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Question, does it matter if the SS dog is loose on the post?

EDIT:   Hope not!  It's back together now.   :D

Both reels turned out great.  The Accurate version has SS everything except the yoke. A greased 5 stack, a 24-56 arm with a Kolekar handle and a clamp stolen off my only Tiburon reel, a 500.

The 501 I built from sideplates from Aiala and an anniversery spool from Vintage is finally a good functional reel.  I removed the extra spring washer I had inside and put it under the star, and voila!

I'm ready for a 40lb salmon now.  Or that pesky thresher shark that led me around for 40 minutes.  Which ever comes first.

Thanks guys.

Keta

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Threshers don't cruise the Gulf, I wish they did. I would have no problem slicing one of those bad boys up! I know how good they taste. ;)
Life is Good!

Rancanfish

Quote from: Keta on June 21, 2015, 01:07:39 AM
Quote from: Rancanfish on June 20, 2015, 08:57:09 PM
Question, does it matter if the SS dog is loose on the post?

How loose?   

It would be 1/32nd all around if I guessed.  You know what, I'll measure with the caliper tomorrow. Or slide a drill bit in there.

Keta

That seems excessive, I will send another if it causes problems.   Check the post to see if it's under size too.

Mark Twain

Rancanfish

Did you make these Lee?

When I noticed it I took out another brass dog from my parts box and it had a smaller hole too. Both the SS dogs have larger holes.

I'm not sure but I think I bought these and the sleeves from Bryan.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 21, 2015, 04:49:07 AM
Threshers don't cruise the Gulf, I wish they did. I would have no problem slicing one of those bad boys up! I know how good they taste. ;)

Actually they have been caught in the gulf incidentally on longline vessels.  They are a truely mesopelagic species, and favor the deep (>300m) cold waters.  The longrange tuna fleet fishes much shallower waters in the SE region, and the SE swordfish bouy boats are fishing where the Threshers are scarce.   Thus their Western Atlantic#Gulf poulation is actually quite robust when conpared to their Pacific breathern.  They may be around, but you are not likely to ever encounter them inside of the continentsl shelf.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Keta

Quote from: Rancanfish on July 19, 1974, 05:20:12 PM

He gets them from me.

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Keta on June 21, 2015, 05:47:59 AM
Quote from: Rancanfish link=topic=14557.msg149475#msg149475 date=143486412

/quote]

He gets them from me.

I was just about to type that too Lee.  Hahahaha.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

I was just letting Lee know so he would know if they were his or not.

EDIT:
Okay,  If I hold a standard 15-500 dog and slide the shaft into the opening for the post, a 9/64ths bit is snug. If I slide it into the SS dog, it flops around a bit.

If I put the side of the SS dog that was apparently the side the drilling process was started from, the dog will sit on top of a 5/32nds bit. If I turn it over it just falls off. There is a taper to the hole on one side.  Hope that makes sense.

The reel is back together already so I checked with a caliper the dog posts on two separate 15-5ooS bridges I had in my box. There was a slight 1/200ths difference in them. The standard dogs are snug, the SS dog is loose.

That's about as technical as I can get in my descriptions.  (I'm a low voltage troubleshooting fool, but lost when it comes to this stuff).

Thanks.