Custom Stainless steel plates

Started by Alto Mare, June 20, 2015, 08:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I received the plates and the first thing I want to mention is that the camera doesn't do these justice, they look much nicer than what you're looking at.
I had hundreds of reels come through my hands and these are the best I've ever seen, the stainless steel really stands out.
They are much heavier than the aluminum, but as I mentioned earlier, I was aware of it and it doesn't bother me personally.

And the assembly to see if everything fits as it should

Some pics of the assembled reel

plates fit nice and snug

and now with the stainless steel bars

The machinist did a grewat job, I believe too perfect, the tolerance is very tight.
All parts fit in nicely, but the plates will need a little fine tuning here and there, its small, but needs to be done.
I will be sending these back, the rest will be up to Alan....stay tuned.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

WOW!!!!!!   Alan does it again!!!!
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

reelrepair123

just plain remarkable, beautiful plates and job by sal.  too pretty to use.    harryk

Rancanfish

Boy am I glad I said I'm in on these.

I like it with the stainless bars.  That is plinth quality there.

Thanks Sal for spending your Saturday morn doing tests.

Can you expound on your 'fine tuning' comment.  That stuff is what scares me, I can't even upgrade a handle without scratching the arm all up.  Just don't have the right tools or work area.

But that said, I'm going to get a set, even if it has to just sit and look pretty.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mhc

The plates look great. Is that 501 spool an Alan C prototype as well?
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rancanfish on June 20, 2015, 09:44:55 PM
Boy am I glad I said I'm in on these.

I like it with the stainless bars.  That is plinth quality there.

Thanks Sal for spending your Saturday morn doing tests.

Can you expound on your 'fine tuning' comment.  That stuff is what scares me, I can't even upgrade a handle without scratching the arm all up.  Just don't have the right tools or work area.

But that said, I'm going to get a set, even if it has to just sit and look pretty.
Nothing scary, as I mentioned above, it is just a fine tuning, something very simple. For instance, the hole for the eccentric is drilled too snug.It would still work, but I want a little more room there. As you could tell from the pics above, they did an amazing job, keep in mind, this is stainless steel, not aluminum.
Quote from: mhc on June 20, 2015, 11:13:53 PM
The plates look great. Is that 501 spool an Alan C prototype as well?
No, I do have his here, the notch for the pinion is just a hair too big, when I get a chance I will sand it down a bit and try it out.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

That little 501 with the bars (and eventually a SS spool) is down right PURRRRRR...... DEEE! Its too incredible to fish. Thanx Sal for the pictures. Alan Chui, these are masterpieces!!!!!!!!

Outstanding,

Leo

PS Holy Smokes!!!!!!!!!  You should only fish these reels on SUNDAYS! ::) ::) ::)

Rothmar2

Simply stunning. I can really appreciate the effort that has gone into this. These plates are pure art! And a piece of art worth owning.

Alto Mare

I forgot I had this spool, here you go, stainless steel plates - spacer bars and spool

fIsHsTiiCkS

These are simply amazing!! They look better than what I could have hopped for!! I really hope I get a change to get my hands on those bad boys!!

mhc

Quote from: Rothmar2 on June 21, 2015, 01:14:01 AM
Simply stunning. I can really appreciate the effort that has gone into this. These plates are pure art! And a piece of art worth owning.
x2   They are not only good looking works of art but also a very practical reel, combining strength with corrosion resistance.
Your almost there Sal, it has been a while since you first mentioned you wanted a full SS jigmaster. Do we know how many more orders we need to go into production with the plates? 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

bluefish69

Sal

Is the Eccentric SS. I could use at least 6 of those.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Marcq

8)
Sal! How much did it weigh all put together with the SS spool?

Marc..

Alto Mare

Quote from: bluefish69 on June 21, 2015, 03:46:23 AM
Sal

Is the Eccentric SS. I could use at least 6 of those.

Mike
No Mike, its not. Those have been on the back burner for some time now, along with the lever. Alan didn't think there was enough interest, I believe there would be. We'll see what he says :-\.
Quote from: Marcq on June 21, 2015, 06:07:46 AM
8)
Sal! How much did it weigh all put together with the SS spool?

Marc..
Marc, the stock Jigmaster with the aluminum spool is  10 oz lighter.

Newell Nut

That is about as tanked as you can make one. Looks extremely solid, smooth and probably very quiet.