*** ATTENTION: DAIWA SEALINE STAINLESS PARTS WISH LIST

Started by LTM, June 23, 2015, 05:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

*** ATTENTION: DAIWA SEALINE STAINLESS PARTS WISH LIST ***

This is the opportunity we Daiwa user's have been waiting for so your FEEDBACK IS IMPORTANT! Some of you may have read my one and only rant: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14569.0 titled "DAIWA RANT" where I state the merits of Daiwa reels and how with just a few stainless parts we can have an upgrade path to address some issues with these great reels. Well, it seems that some trully talented machinist have heard our plea's and "OFFERED THEIR ASSISTANCE"  and I quote:

Statement from Daiwa user:
It would be great to get a couple of stainless sleeves for sure.
Tom/CortezConversions:
Shouldn't be that difficult. Let me know if there is any interest. I don't know anything about Diawa, much like Newell. So it's difficult to de plop products for these reels. I'm a Penn guy...

Adam/Three Se7ens:
I have a few new parts available for the Daiwa Sealine 600H, 900H, and 910 reels.  Feedback is always welcome, and if you want something that not in stock, just PM me.

So lets get on the ball and put our heads together so we can present these guys with our requests for some stainless parts in a manner that is clear so they can decide on which projects they may be willing/able to help us with. THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO GET FRAGMENTED AND ONLY BE CONCERNED WITH YOUR UNIQUE PROJECT BUT FOR ALL AS A WHOLE.

So onward.  LETS ADDRESS OUR NEEDS FIRST BEFORE OUR WANTS. Im thinking that since there are some drag upgrade kits by Bryan Young and Three Se7ens (members of this forum) for the larger Daiwa Sealine 900H, 600H, and 400H that these reels would really benefit from a stainless steel drag sleeve which Tom has offered to make for us. I feel that it would be very logical for a sleeve for these reels be made first if WE CAN PROVE TO HAVE ENOUGH COMMITTED TO PURCHASE THESE PARTS. I just received some upgrade parts from Adam/Three Se7ens today and he's open to other ideas also.

So that we can formulate some kind of poll that will include ALL of our NEEDS. I will state my needs in a text format here so maybe someone else with more skills than me can figure out the format for making a poll that will reflect quantities of specific items as well. So here goes:

- 600H: STAINLESS SLEEVE          QTY 1

- 300H: STAINLESS SLEEVE          QTY 2
           2ND AR DOG                    QTY 2
          *STAINLESS HANDLE         QTY 2  NOTE: THIS HANDLE MAY FIT: 50H, 300H, 400H
          *5+1 DRAG KIT                 QTY 5
*NOTE: THIS WILL FIT THE FOLLOWING REELS: 30SH, 47SH, 50H, 300H, 350H ALL SEALINE 30/47 SERIES REELS WITH THE 5.1:1 GEAR RATIO

- 30H/30SH (3.8:1/5.1:1 GEAR RATIOs):
          OFFSET POWER HANDLE        QTY 4  THIS HANDLE WILL FIT ALL 30/47 SERIES, SMF
          STAINLESS GEAR SLEEVE       QTY 3
          5+1 DRAG UPGRADE              QTY 4
         *2ND AR DOG                        QTY 4  NOTE: THIS IS OPTIONAL/WANT

These parts are basically all the Sealine series NEEDS. Stainless gears for the larger reels may be optional due to the massive size of the factory gears but would be nice to have for the smaller reels.

PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENTS SO WE CAN GET SOMETHING DONE,

Leo

Shark Hunter

Leo,
I can see you are very serious for the Daiwa upgrades. I'm not trying to be one sided or rub you the wrong way, but there are other things to consider. Tom, just released his stainless sleeves for the big Senators. I wasn't the only one that wanted them, but I was pretty much the squeakiest wheel out of the bunch.
It takes several thousand dollars to make an order big enough to even manufacture a ss sleeve. This project was two years in the making. I'm on board with Daiwa upgrades. it just takes a lot of people that want them. The handles, dogs and inserts will not be a problem for Adam. Its the ss sleeves that requires all the work.
I have been trying to acquire a 300H and can't seem to find one in good shape. That goes for a 350, 400 or 450 as well.
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

In one of Alan Tani's tutorials, he mentioned that the brass Daiwa uses for the sleeves is far stronger than what Penn used.  And the ratchet on them is stainless.  Id like to put some fish on a 600H with the brass gear sleeve and my insert before I decide if a stainless sleeve is necessary or not. 

That being said, one of the things Im working on is determining exactly how close the 600H and 900H sleeve is to the 114H.  So far, its extremely close. 

The 600H/900H and 910 all use a regular metric thread with readily available taps, so I could offer any of the drag stars I make to fit these reels just by purchasing a tap.  If theres enough interest, Id be happy to offer that as well.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I'm in for the SS upgrades for the daiwas. I find them a lot better suited for the trolling I like to do.

Rothmar2

I would be keen on a couple of 900 SS gear sleeves.
And would match them up with the SS stars.

LTM

Quote from: Three se7ens on June 23, 2015, 08:08:18 PM
In one of Alan Tani's tutorials, he mentioned that the brass Daiwa uses for the sleeves is far stronger than what Penn used.  And the ratchet on them is stainless.  Id like to put some fish on a 600H with the brass gear sleeve and my insert before I decide if a stainless sleeve is necessary or not.  

That being said, one of the things Im working on is determining exactly how close the 600H and 900H sleeve is to the 114H.  So far, its extremely close.  

The 600H/900H and 910 all use a regular metric thread with readily available taps, so I could offer any of the drag stars I make to fit these reels just by purchasing a tap.  If theres enough interest, Id be happy to offer that as well.
Adam,

I like your drag stars that you offer (thats why I just bought two) and think this would be nice in the "WANT" category of parts for these reels, however there are other parts that are more essential in the "NEEDS" department. HOWEVER, this is the good part about other people making parts for these reels as Tom/CortezConversions has offered to do with the drag sleeves. With multiple people making parts that are "mutually-exclusive" to what they are doing now allows them greater latitude and a wider market of basically what they are currently doing.

Now in regards to stainless sleeves for the 900/600H reels I feel very strongly about these. In my 30+ years of West Coast and long range fishing I have bent and rounded-off my fair share of Penn handles and gear sleeves. In light of your excellent drag insert for the 600H which yields about 60# of max drag. Thats a four-fold (aka 400%) increase in drag available, not that it should be fished that hard. I would like a little "INSURANCE" on my drag sleeve if possible and Tom is willing to do this using his prior experience with making these for the "big-boy senator" reels which Im all in favor of him doing. Im certain (not of much in life) that if you were to make your Penn/Daiwa parts of the same material that Daiwa uses in its gears that your parts would have received a "luke-warm" reception by us FOR SURE. Im sure you dont have "limited liability" auto insurance on your car because you "want" a little more insurance to cover you "JUST-IN-CASE", and the same for the stainless sleeves. Us Daiwa users who have FINALLY got the opportunity to get some parts want the same deal as the Penn fans.

These parts are about NEEDS not OBSESSION,

Leo

PS Your handles for these reels will definitely satisfy a NEED if you would be so kind as to make some for us.

Cortez_Conversions

Wow!
I never committed to this or any Diawa project. Period.
Just as my one and only comment says,
"Shouldn't be that difficult. Let me know if there is any interest. I don't know anything about Diawa, much like Newell. So it's difficult to de plop products for these reels. I'm a Penn guy..."

I haven't even seen a sleeve yet, much less committed to several different styles.

Before everyone gets all CAPITAL LETTERS on each other, how about a simple discussion( pros and cons) about this stuff?

I mentioned in another post that I'm going on vacation starting this Friday until after the 4th of July. Hopefully this will settle down by then....shhesh!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

LTM

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on June 24, 2015, 01:05:02 AM
Wow!
I never committed to this or any Diawa project. Period.
Just as my one and only comment says,
"Shouldn't be that difficult. Let me know if there is any interest. I don't know anything about Diawa, much like Newell. So it's difficult to de plop products for these reels. I'm a Penn guy..."

I haven't even seen a sleeve yet, much less committed to several different styles.

Before everyone gets all CAPITAL LETTERS on each other, how about a simple discussion( pros and cons) about this stuff?

I mentioned in another post that I'm going on vacation starting this Friday until after the 4th of July. Hopefully this will settle down by then....shhesh!

Tom there is no mention of a commitment anywhere, JUST DISCUSSION. This is follow up to your statement to let you know if there is any interest period, nothing more. Through out my text are statements stating if you or Adam might be WILLING to entertain the idea of a COLLECTIVE INTEREST. I hope you see why Im using capital letters now. I sent you a PM a couple of days ago asking to speak on this subject with offer of reel/parts to examine and my phone number.

Please respond to let US know if you are still interested in exploring any ideas presented here.

Thanx,

Leo

PS Adam please chime in if you feel any different/same as Tom.

crackerman

My first big reel was a 900 I have Alan's drag kit and handle in it and I absolutely LOVE it. There are 3 things keeping in from becoming an absolute tank.
Gear sleeve
Gears
Double dog.

The factory handle is sufficient, just not showy.
And an insert with6+ washers would be nuts.
I would be in for a sleeve and a set of dogs. The gears are a wish at best right now.

Rancanfish

Ditto what crackerman said.

But all this is stuff we want, not need. (Most of us).  Would I love all that? Sure.  But am I a serious enough fisherman to ever need it? Not yet.

I have never ever had a reel fail in battle. I don't anticipate it happening either after learning all the things we can do to prevent it.

All that said, If the sleeves and gears get built. I WILL buy them. I love the feeling of fishing my Accurized 501 with steel gears, 5 stack, stainless parts and a clamp.  Just knowing it's not going to be the reason I drop a fish of a lifetime is priceless.

Thanks out to Alan T. first, then Alan, Tom, Adam, Bryan, Lee, Kolekar, etc, etc.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

LTM

So that its "absolutely clear" here. Again this post is a "fact finding mission" and I dont know any other way of communicating with the members here other than a post to discuss matters. I quoted Tom and Adam and didnt take there comments out of context and put them here under one post to discuss. If there is another way to discuss parts for these reel, please someone do this. Im a Daiwa user like the rest of you seeking to get a few parts made in stainless steel. Now it is beginning to seem like this has become something else and people are leaving comments like they are resigning back to using there reels in stock configuration/no upgrades and leave it like that.

I dont see any harm in having an open discussion on the possibilities of having/wanting some "basic" parts made in stainless. Alantani has a map at the top of this forum showing member locations all over the globe and we know people from all over watch and read our posts here. So if someone here that makes parts for other reels doesnt want to make parts the Daiwa's maybe someone "not" from this site may want to make some parts from reading this post. It wouldnt be the first time its happened. So lets move on with this discussion and maybe someone will decide its worth while to make some parts. If Ive pissed-off Tom or Adam I dont know how I did it and I didnt know it takes some other form of "navigation" to have a discussion so maybe they will let us know how they want this discussion to proceed for them to take this matter under "consideration". The bottom line is if you let this topic die, thats exactly what will happen.

Keep it going,

Leo

LTM

I reluctantly had to remove the content of this post and removed another. Please play nice, I have too many things to do to have to babysit.

I hope you can get the parts, Diawa reels are very good as is but with upgrades they will be better.

skrilla

1Forecon

I would buy/purchase some 4:1 & 5:1 SS gears for 50h's one(1) each(bait/Iron/Yo-Yo--30#-40# mono), maybe even SS double dogs and SS 3:25 SS gears for 300-400's(30#mono-40# mono bait). Heck, I'd pick up a few more old sealines if I could upgrade to higher SS gear ratios in the smaller to mid sized reels and a maybe deeper drag pocket or just add a better drag kit as is. I want the fight over quick, fast and in a hurry. A short period of pain doesn't hurt as much as a LONG drawn out hiney kicking! I definitely wouldn't be needing to upgrade or purchase new reels ever again if I could tweak these Daiwas.

In my physical state(injuries/back,neck, etc.), I in NO way want to fish for anything that would require I use a reel larger than a 600 Daiwa /114 Penn.   Those days are passed for me. I fish 3/4 and 1-2 days; schoolies YF, YT and such in San Dog. I fish Cobia, Dorado, Grouper/Snapper in FL. Those hurt enough! You wouldn't want to hear me(retired Marine & Sailor & Soldier-!@#$%!!!) when I accidently hook into a stupid donkey(AJ) >:(

I would buy the SS gear(s) and sleeves for at least two(2) 50's and one(1)400 -I own now,  just so I wouldn't possibly round off the stock brass one(with upgraded drags!)and wish I had it and there aren't any-like now ???

I love seeing classic gear on the rail, whether it be trolling or slinging iron or bait. I love fishing it too. It sure cuts down on the unnecessary and boring blather from all the "bling boys" and "reel fan boys" on the boat(you sure don't hear it when we're on my boat!). After years as a deckhand and now retiree who goes fishing usually alone or with one friend or a newbie along, those conversations with strangers are boring and distracting and I guess I'm just too serious when I fish-Type A+++ personality. If I want to talk "Reel Smack", I can always go online-like here and blather away. Not when I'm fishing! :o

Man, I just read all that and I'm RANTING ;D.

Anyways, I'm in for some new fixins for some old faithfuls.

C-ya,

Rancanfish

Good rant, though.

I think you said it all.  I'm gonna fish a big ol' 900 though.  I am breaking down due to age, but I'm gonna keep going until I can't.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.