Another great Striper day!

Started by STRIPER LOU, June 25, 2015, 08:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

We had made plans to go out yesterday. Northwest winds and med chop predicted but most importantly outgoing tide at 4:30 am. On the water at 4:30 and only trolling 1 rod instead of 2. This allows us to make sharper turns and stay over the boulder piles where the big girls are. First fish in the boat about 10 min later, about 35 lbs on the homemade, old school slope head swimmer. 7 more to follow (25/35lb range) only keeping our limit of the one's that cant be revived. Dropped one at the boat that looked to be around 40/45. Good for another day and fun non the less.
We did OK last year but this season is over the top. No monsters but a few around the 40 lb range. Back at the dock 8:00 am and on the road at 9. Sorry about the one bloody fish. As you can see we never handle the fish if we are trying for catch and release. The less they are handled the better their odds to survive.

Alto Mare

Very nice Lou! Thanks for sharing!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

newport

35lbs is a nice fish Lou. Heck, I haven't even reached a 20lb mark yet this year and the striper fishing winded down a lot where I'm at. It's pretty much over for me now until fall when they migrate back down.

David Hall

Reel 224

Blue Fish were thick in the Bunker Schools tonight here Lou. We are still struggling to hit the stripe bass at the right time.There here but the Blue fish have been hitting bait since may keeping the Strip Bass bite off.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Capt Ahab

Quote from: Reel 224 on June 26, 2015, 06:26:43 AM
Blue Fish were thick in the Bunker Schools tonight here Lou. We are still struggling to hit the stripe bass at the right time.There here but the Blue fish have been hitting bait since may keeping the Strip Bass bite off.

Most of the main biomass is now wayyyy north  - there are still stripers around but not in great numbers

Reel 224

Quote from: Capt Ahab on June 26, 2015, 10:36:21 AM
Quote from: Reel 224 on June 26, 2015, 06:26:43 AM

Most of the main biomass is now wayyyy north  - there are still stripers around but not in great numbers

That explains why my hands shoulders and back are killing me after last nights casting my azz off and only getting Blue fish bite. Next we have to concentrate on "Fluke" Thanks for the info. Cap. :) 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

STRIPER LOU

The captain is correct. There is a huge body of fish in and out of the ditch (cape cod canal) and its been like that for the past several years. Its seems as though the large body of big fish that were in the Hudson have headed north also. The fish that are around only seem to be available at the right location and most importantly the correct tide.
There's so much bait around that makes it even tougher. it will get better!!!!!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

I do a lot of stripper fishing the CA reservoirs here. I would love to get out and catch them in the salt! Nice catches!

Swimmin Deep