japanese drag greases

Started by mrgbean, June 27, 2015, 01:13:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrgbean

has anyone had any experience with these greases before and if do can you tell me what they are like  ???

Greases
hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1969 - <IOS Factory> DRAG GREASE DEKAKUMA
hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1968 - <IOS Factory> DRAG GREASE SHIROKUMA
hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1967 - <IOS Factory> IOS GEAR GREASE

Oils
hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1957 - <IOS Factory> IOS-01 PRO
hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1958 - <IOS Factory> IOS-02 PRO
hedgehog-studio.co.jp/product/1966 - <IOS Factory> IOS-007 PRO

and hedgehogs own alchemy oil and info ? ???

alantani

never seen it before and would certainly not consider it's use with knowing exactly what's in it.  not sure about these hedgehog guys, either.  i took a quick look around the site and it looks like a bunch of guys trying to make money.  it seems like mostly sales, not service.  that being the case, i'm going to remove the url links.  if someone wants to check it out further and gets some info, please let us know.  i just don't want someone from here walking into a scam.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Hedge Hog Studios is a well known Japanese shop that specializes in super tuning Bass reels. Kinda like the Boca of Japan with other parts and kits as well to bling out your reel.

They are considered very reputable and it would be extraordinarily rare to have trouble from a Japanese source. They are very well known in the high end Bass reel community and this type of "super tuning" shops for Baitcasters and Spinning reels is somewhat common in Japan.

Be that as it may, they don't necessarily have better access to lubes than any other source we trust. Drag grease and such is not rocket science.

Anything is theoretically possible, but I would probably trust a Japanese source for simple honesty over any other source, having lived in Japan for over 2 years in the past.

alantani

good enough.  well, if anyone hears anything about these guys and their product, please let us know!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

newport

Pretty much what john says is true. Probably not very well known for most saltwater fisherman but very popular with the freshwater bass community for parts upgrades and tools. Strangely enough, I don't really hear people talk about it the grease and oil.

Strewth

Quote from: alantani on June 27, 2015, 03:46:43 AM
good enough.  well, if anyone hears anything about these guys and their product, please let us know!

Hedgehog are a very reputable and are aimed at baitcaster supertuners.

They sell great spool bearings for baitcasters - the ZRs in particular are excellent for reels that get used in saltwater after being treated with TSI 321. Quietest, smoothest, longest casting bearings I have ever used and are very easy to service because they are shielded on one side only.

Smith IOS-01 is a excellent lightweight oil for baitcasters that I have used for several years. based on a Non-Newtonian fluid to minimise friction and throw-off under rotation.

Slazmo

I can vouch for Hedgehog Studio's personally.

They do a whole lot of stuff and top notch service!

All those boutique oils and greases I would personally avoid due to their limited lifespans and super low viscosities. Most of that stuff is mostly suited to BFS fishing reels and super lightweight actions. And the prices you pay... Nope not worth it in my eyes.

mrgbean your off BM forums aren't you - seen this post before there.

Andrew

Strewth

Quote from: Slazmo on June 30, 2015, 12:41:05 PM

All those boutique oils and greases I would personally avoid due to their limited lifespans and super low viscosities. Most of that stuff is mostly suited to BFS fishing reels and super lightweight actions. And the prices you pay... Nope not worth it in my eyes.

Andrew

I have used Smith IOS-01 for several years on baitcaster spool bearings chasing barra, queenfish, threadfin, mangrove jacks etc. It lasts a long time (weeks) because of its nature (Non-Newtonian) even though it has a low viscosity. My favourite lube before I tried TSI 321.

mike1010

"Non-newtonian" got my attention.  Wikipedia has something that was moderately helpful to me, not a mechanical engineer.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newtonian_fluid

Mike

Strewth

In a Newtonian fluid the shear resistance (stress) is directly proportional to the rate of shear. In a Non-Newtonian fluid, this is not the case. In a shear thinning oil, the shear resistance decreases nonlinearly with the rate of shear, so a bearing would rotate faster at high revs. In a shear thickening oil, the shear resistance increases nonlinearly with the rate of shear, so a bearing would rotate slower at high revs.

MidTNKayakAngler

I have been ordering Hedgehog products like dress up parts, Alechemy Oil for ceramic bearings, bearings, and bearing tools for them for over a year now. I've received great products and great customer service.

mrgbean

Quote from: Slazmo on June 30, 2015, 12:41:05 PM

Andrew
slazmo yeah im on there too

and thanks for the replies everyone  im thinking about taking the plunge and get some  for my casters  and  use daiwa 555 for my spinners and normal inox though im going to get some of the owner dry lube for my bearings  that i get of hedghog thanks for the feedback