3/0 senator and shimano tld 25 lever drag for tuna fishing

Started by newport, June 29, 2015, 03:01:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Any tuna experts out here? I'm thinking about going on my first tuna trip this fall and am wondering if the 3/0 senator -- which I already own-- and a shimano tld 25 lever drag be enough for most fish in the northeast. I was thinking 30lb mono for the 3/0 and 40-50lb mono on the tld. What do you guys think? Also if you guys have any other input and advice, that'd be great too. Thanks.

Dominick

Newport I am not an expert.  Those reels will do but it depends on the type of boat you will be fishing from.  Also the size of the fish you will be targeting.  If you are fishing from a private boat or private charter which means you will have time to play the fish to the boat you should be okay and if you're looking at 30 to 50lb fish you will be under gunned with the 113.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

RowdyW

newport

So far i been looking at a couple boats that do a 24hr tuna trip. 100ft boats with a maximum of 25 and 26 people on board with 17 being the minimum for the trip to take place. I haven't looked at any charters yet, but I don't think I want to even do that. It seems like it would be too pricey for something that wouldn't be a guarantee.

newport

I should also add that both party boats recommend a 6/0 or equivalent reel spooled with 80lb mono for chunking butterfish. So I did a little bit of research and found the tld 25 as being the equivalent in terms of size and capacity to the 6/0 (correct me if I'm wrong here). I never owned a lever drag, but heard it's a good reel for the money, so that's why I mentioned the tld specifically. Now the reason I ask about spooling with 40 or 50lb instead is because the 80lb seems a bit much, no? The tld doesn't have the drag capacity to warrant it either. I thought I ask here to get a different perspective, as I said before, I never fished for tuna before, so I don't want to come off the wrong way.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I do a lot tuna fishing out of SD and we will come on schools of 30-50lb fish and I have to say the 112h is a fine reel for that. No need for more than 30-40lb line for that size fish. You can easily put 300+ yards of 30lb on a 112h and that's plenty at 10lbs of drag. I can get them in in under 15mins, with the average being around 5mins. The 112 should be just as fine as long as you get a 5 stack in there. As the 2.5:1 gear ratio should handle well. Maybe an SS sleeve to.

BMITCH

On the NE head boats for tuna TANKED 4/0 will do. Killed ALOT of Fish with the TLD 25. 40# Momoi diamond. The TLD is mostly a first light type a reel. When your most likely to get an albacore bite. But for security.....stay with a 6/0 or maybe a 2spd. 4/0. I fish the Tiagra 30WLRS. I have faith in that reel. Much more now that Bryan improved the drag curve. Just my 2cents.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

RowdyW

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on June 29, 2015, 05:22:09 AM
I do a lot tuna fishing out of SD and we will come on schools of 30-50lb fish and I have to say the 112h is a fine reel for that. No need for more than 30-40lb line for that size fish. You can easily put 300+ yards of 30lb on a 112h and that's plenty at 10lbs of drag. I can get them in in under 15mins, with the average being around 5mins. The 112 should be just as fine as long as you get a 5 stack in there. As the 2.5:1 gear ratio should handle well. Maybe an SS sleeve to.
Are you talking 112 or 112H? The 112H is a 3 stack drag with a 4 to 1 ratio.

newport

Thanks everyone for their input. The tld 25 sounds like a winner, and if it doesn't work out, the worst that could happen (besides sea sickness) is using the boat's rental rods and reels. I'll probably spool it with 40lb high quality mono, such as the momoi diamond that was mentioned. I'll still probably bring the old 3/0 senator with 30lb line for smaller schoolie tuna or other smaller pelagic fish species. It would probably need some upgrading, especially the very old stock drag. Unfortunately smooth drags only sells them for the 112h. September, october still a quite a bit away, so if anyone has any further thoughts or advice, then feel free to chime in. Thanks.

RowdyW

The black plated 112 can take a 5 drag setup. Use 5 of 6-60 CF washers & 1 more eared & 1 more keyed washer. All Penn parts. Available from Scott's Bait & Tackle (Penn Parts)

BMITCH

Newport, leave the 3/0 at home. Been on many NE canyon trips and the instances where the 3/0 will be used are few and far between. Get an old school 114h, puts some mods in it(SS sleeve, upgraded drag,handle and knob) then spend your money actually getting there. Fish the hell outta it than move on to more $$ stuff. Just my thought on it.

Bob

Dominick

Quote from: BMITCH on July 01, 2015, 12:26:50 AM
Newport, leave the 3/0 at home. Been on many NE canyon trips and the instances where the 3/0 will be used are few and far between. Get an old school 114h, puts some mods in it(SS sleeve, upgraded drag,handle and knob) then spend your money actually getting there. Fish the hell outta it than move on to more $$ stuff. Just my thought on it.

Bob
I agree with Bob but I would not leave the TLD home.  The boats in Mexico use them for almost everything. I caught a 150lb marlin with one but I do not know what pound line was on it but the way I was pulling on the rod I expect it was at least 65lb.  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

No your right Dominique. The TLD ALWAYS goes. It was a wedding present 28 yrs ago. My wife hasn't gotten much use out of it 😉

Dominick

Quote from: BMITCH on July 01, 2015, 01:06:38 AM
No your right Dominique. The TLD ALWAYS goes. It was a wedding present 28 yrs ago. My wife hasn't gotten much use out of it 😉
It's amazing how wives don't appreciate some gifts.  At least they are generous about lending it out.   ;D Dominick

bill19803

sent   PM
dont  go  with less then    6/0   60 lb  line  or  you are asking to  cry a lot You will be anchored in  500  ft  fishing  100  ft   down   and    fish  size  is  not uniform  can  range  from  foot balls   to big eyes of   300  or  swords  of   400.Boat   doesnt   chase  ya got    20+   folks  and a good chance of tangles. In a   tangle   60 lb is minimal  and gets    burned off real  fast.  6/0   will  work    9/0  even better  and they are not that dear  on  fleabay