Cobia day on the Pastime

Started by Newell Nut, July 07, 2015, 10:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

I had things I had to do today that kept me off the boat but my buddies did good. 4 nice cobias were caught by my buddies but not all pictured. They told me that around 20 of them showed up but tourist could not handle them well. Small AJs were thick but no keepers and there is one pic that is showing up too often for some reason and some of you sharp guys will notice it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/deepseafishingdaytona/sets/72157655178694848

Aiala

Do Florida anglers eat Great Barracudas? When I lived in the Virgin Islands, 'cudas (and red snappers too) were definitely off the menu due to the danger of ciguatera poisoning... which is a nasty nightmare you wouldn't wish on anyone.   :(

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

RonRico

Quote from: Aiala on July 07, 2015, 11:45:29 PM
Do Florida anglers eat Great Barracudas? When I lived in the Virgin Islands, 'cudas (and red snappers too) were definitely off the menu due to the danger of ciguatera poisoning... which is a nasty nightmare you wouldn't wish on anyone.   :(

~A~

We do up in north Florida, opinions seem to vary on what size is the cutoff point for being safe though. The biggest I have eaten was about 7 pounds or so.
Steve from Florida

*Not actually named Ron*

*Not actually from St. Pomme de Terre*

Newell Nut

~A~
I don't know anyone that eats them but they are sold at fish markets. I don't like for them to gaff any for the boat because they smell bad in the fish box.

Steve-O

Super nice Cobia!

Never seen such cute little AJs.lol! :D

The one gal seems to be a fishing machine...big smile,bloody midriff, and all. ;D

steelfish

A lot of great day of fishing on the Pastime lately....

congrats Dwight

- Alex

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

Quote from: Steve-O on July 08, 2015, 01:01:11 AM
Super nice Cobia!

The one gal seems to be a fishing machine...big smile,bloody midriff, and all. ;D

I think you are referring to Skipper. She is the galley girl and photo girl and she fishes when the crowd is not too big. Neat history in her family. Her grandfather from a few generations back was the first man to sail solo around the globe. Joshua Slocum is his name and lots of history on the internet.

conchydong

~A~

I eat them depending on size and where they were caught. I stay away from large models caught on the reefs. Like Newell Nut said they do stink and are slimey. The ones I do not eat I harvest for deep drop baits.

Steve-O

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 08, 2015, 01:29:18 AM
Quote from: Steve-O on July 08, 2015, 01:01:11 AM
Super nice Cobia!

I think you are referring to Skipper. She is the galley girl and photo girl and she fishes when the crowd is not too big. Neat history in her family. Her grandfather from a few generations back was the first man to sail solo around the globe. Joshua Slocum is his name and lots of history on the internet.

Read the book in the mid '90's when I owned 3 sailboats and was more into sailing than anything else. The story was amazing especially for the boat he used.

otownjoe

Wow , looks like they were fishing on a lake

Newell Nut

After a long choppy spring it has smoothed out quite a bit the past 5 weeks.

broschro

Looks like the cobia are moving in due to the cold water. We got on a few packs of baby AJs  i had luch and let the kids play.

floating doc

Good day!  Nice cobia, love to get one like that. I've never caught a keeper.

I'm booked for the 22, first time on this boat.
Central Florida

Shark Hunter

I can't wait to see the pics doc! ;)
Life is Good!