Rain bait Stripers!

Started by STRIPER LOU, July 14, 2015, 09:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Up early yesterday morning. I like to be on the water 1/2 to 1 1/2 hrs before sunrise depending on the tide. False dawn or what I call magic hour is the best time for me. It also usually gives me the whole place to myself or at the very least to share it with the real fisherman. As I was pulling into the area I thought I saw something big on the surface.
Cut the motor and drifted a bit and you probably wouldn't believe the size of the stripers the were on the surface! They were feeding on rain bait! Small bait that rises to the surface and makes dimples like rain for those not familiar with it. In spots the bait was 20' thick but the majority was on the surface.

These bass were just cruising thru them with their mouths open like a bucket. They weren't very aggressive and the first thing that came to mind was this is going to be a hard catch. Put on a popper and had a few rolls, changed colors, and tried a darter but they weren't buyin it. Thought I might get lucky and find a dumb one or two!!!!!
Had some small white dropper flies with silver flash I tied up on some HD 4/0 hooks. Gotta match the size I thought.
Put one of these about 3' in front of the largest popper I had. Using a Penn BTL 4000, 15lb mono and a Tica light duty 7' rod I thought this could be fun. A cast and one pop later,
Whamo. I was thinking maybe they hit the dropper and was trying to go easy with her as it wasn't really a very big hook. 15 min later a nice 30lber comes to net. Released to fight another day. Within the next half hour 2 more big ladies to come, both on the dropper and both returned to fight another day. One of the 2 about 35lbs.

By that time the Charter boats arived and I switched to trolling the Slope head swimmers. Nailed the one in the pic that decided to devour the plug and couldn't be saved. Called my buddy on the cell and told him I was headed back to the dock at 6:05.
Another great day and happy to be retired!

Rancanfish

Wow. Some big girls back that way.

I've never kept a big one, are they still good eating?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Doug

Nice fish Lou my best was just over #30 and I was happy and you are right the big ones can give you quite a fight  Doug

STRIPER LOU

They really are great eating. The fillets on the big ones are so thick we fillet then in half again. Then cut them into 2" strips for the whole length of the fillet. Make a shrimp and crabmeat stuffing with panko breadcrumbs. Turn the strip on its side and put stuffing along its edge and roll it up like a pin wheel. Bake in the oven and 5 min before finished, make topping with garlic, butter and fresh lemon. Brush this on top and under the broiler for 5 min more.
It just don't get any better!!!!

STRIPER LOU

Hey Doug, a fish over 30 is nothing to sneeze about. Whatever we are blessed with that comes on the boat is awesome. to me there's no such thing as a bad one. All stripers are great and the last one to come aboard is as good as the first one!!!!
Still look forward to catching these guys after over 50yrs of doing it.
One time I went to test drive a car. Brought the wife and a fishing rod. Told the salesman if the rod don't fit the deals off. He looked at the wife and she assured him I wasn't joking! Thought you might enjoy a little humor!
..............lou

Shark Hunter

Got to keep the priorities straight Lou. ;)
When I bought my house, I told the realtor, I have to go get my boat. If it fits in the garage, we have a deal. ;D
Life is Good!

STRIPER LOU

We know what we're doing, Right Daron?????

Shark Hunter

Absolutely! ;D That was 25 years ago. My House is paid for. I now have a Kayak instead of a boat.
Life is good! ;)
Life is Good!

Fisherman Paul

Very nice fish, nice and plump. Did you ever try after cutting
into fillets to cut the fillets into wee strips, dip them in egg yoke
then dip them in flour, fry each side for 4-5 minutes each side.

They are a beautiful eating fish.

broadway

Hey Lou,
You fishing raritan bay? That striped looks familiar. ;D
Keep up the good work!
Dom

STRIPER LOU

Hey Dom, I usually fish from the Ct river area, east, and south. The Race, Fishers Is, Bartletes, all the local reefs, etc. Looks like one you caught last week? Had it for supper last night and it was awesome. If your fishing Raratain you must know Tony Maja, the bunker spoon guy. Use his spoons once in a while but for me the homemade plugs are the boss. By the way congrats to you and the Mrs. and wish you guys all the health and happiness the world can bring.
.....................Lou

Reel 224

Good to see you are practicing catch and release Lou, you are a good fisherman and sportsman ;) We are about done here just the occasional striper here and there.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

Hi Joe What have you been catching off the Earl pier?   Doug

Reel 224

Quote from: Doug on July 15, 2015, 04:08:16 PM
Hi Joe What have you been catching off the Earl pier?   Doug

Lots of Fluke mostly shorts a few 8# and under. Quite a few Blues up to 15#, 2 Stripe bass 6 1/2 And an 8#. The only thing we are targeting now are Fluke. I don't wast time fishing for blues. There was a 50+# Stripe Bass caught this season early buy a guy at night throwing bunker and bottom fishing. We aren't getting much time out on the pier like we should. This is a busy time for us on our little farm, plus we are in the process of selling a lot of our belongings to prepare for moving out of NJ.

Fishing is good on the navy pier you just have to put the time in.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Doug

I have had my best results fishing stripers at night using live ells /worms and early in the season clams. I gave up blue fishing  years ago after a serious hand infection from cleaning them bare handed. If I run into them I switch to a barbless hook to shake them off boat side