US113 Handle Going Backwards

Started by Rivverrat, July 18, 2015, 12:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 06, 2015, 08:29:20 PM
Quote from: Keta on July 23, 2015, 08:38:09 PM
I started a new thread on the mods I'm working on, any input will be considered and appreciated.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14881.0;topicseen

I really like these reels, especially the US113N.

Maybe Penn can subcontract Lee's, John's, Fred's, or Sal's services out to develop and test a working prototype ratchet, dogs, clips etc? ;)

I haven't checked with Lee but he is in mid-process on this. He will come up with some simple change/upgrade for those interested. He has my reel.

I am more interested in fishing the stock model to see if I ever have a problem. After 15 years of use in the field I am pretty sure Penn has a handle on this, though it appears an older worn die was used to stamp out the ratchets in the last Bajas produced.

We here tend to have an obsession about utterly fool proof dogs that old up for decades. Fact of the matter is that the Baja never sold well. Not because it wasn't the same reel with the amazing track record (with the same internals) we see today and admire so much....but because people prefer Trinidad/Torium/Saltist/Saltigas for what a Baja can do.

Fortunately Penn now has the Torque and Fathom and they are selling like gangbusters.

I could write a long post about why reels sell...but the number one reason is that the fisherman sees himself in the product. He identifies with it. Unconsciously he sees himself reflected in it.

As we have gotten older that sort of ultimate reliability inside, with a rough around the edges on the outside :) is how we see ourselves. We can identify with Bajas, Senators and Tanks...and buy them or upgrade our Senators etc. Its like going down to the Doc to get a tune up and oil change at 50 years.

The vast majority of guys with $300++ to drop on a reel sees himself as Mr. Sexy Smooth Guy. He buys a Shimano  ;D.

People (in most cases) do not buy a reel based on what it can do. Sorry! These are just toys for grown boys! If it was a practicality thing we would all use nets or hand lines!  :D

Then we could argue about who makes the best winch for hauling a net. :)

Rancanfish

I forgot I was Mr. Sexy Smooth guy!  

That is until last week when I was working and Mrs. Short Fat Persian Lady asked me 'why you don't take your shirt off when you work'?

I gave her Sal's number.   ;D

Darn, it just occurred to me.....Dom likes to go without his shirt too.

(Thread killer).
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Rivverrat

John, again you are correct. The same reason people buy a certain car or truck is the same for reels. Never mind most don't need the truck they purchase or the 500+ h.p. car, it is nothing more than an object that in the mind of the one purchasing it helps project the image they want.

However I don't wish to place my lips on a turd flute....Jeff

steelfish

great Analogy John

now that Im on the reel repair world I found out that the difference is if the reel is a toy or a tool for fishing.
if you see your reel as a toy you want the newest and the most shinny reel
if is a tool you want the most capable, and less prone to fail reel.

The Baja Guy

handi2

I bought the first US113N that Scott's got in to their store. I tore it down side by side with a new Baja Special from Charkbait.

Everything internally was identical between the two reels.

After going thru the spool bearings I get almost 2 minutes of freespool using TSI301 oil.

I have many, many reels to use when we go fishing. Avet's and Trinidad's for the heavy Grouper and Amberjack fishing but the Baja Special's get used the most for general bottom fishing for Red Snapper and such.

Every one loves them and the gear ratio and almost non existent handle back play is the reason.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rivverrat

Quote from: handi2 on August 07, 2015, 01:09:44 AM
I bought the first US113N that Scott's got in to their store. I tore it down side by side with a new Baja Special from Charkbait.

Everything internally was identical between the two reels.

This was not the same as what I seen with comparing the two I had. However in your post you more than likely weren't speaking of common manufacture variances.
The ratchet did not provided the same contact area for the dogs. Now my thinking the the cross bars of the frame on the US113 were thicker could have been do to color. With black sometimes making things appear smaller.

Rivverrat

I wanted to add that I have verified with multiple people from Penn that this reel is fine fished above 20 lbs. of drag. I've received the OK to fish 80 lb. line with it buttoned down. With this being true & fully knowing the proper way to free a snag & that I was using 60 lb. Big Game. Which is known for breaking at or slightly below it's rating I am having trouble seeing that any thing I did caused the issue in the prior reel.

However I did ask Tony with Penn to let me know what ever their findings reveal my fault or not....Jeff

Rivverrat

I forgot to get a pic of it. But the studs the dogs ride on are peened into the bridge. I don't remember seeing this on my prior Baja.

Rivverrat

Wow! Over 1:30 sec. of free spool  just by cleaning the grease from the right side spool bearing & lubing with TSI 321. Ive done nothing to the left side spool bearing, it is still closed.

This is a fantastic reel! I ski-bobbed a 12 lb. Blue Cat across the waters surface yesterday with it....Jeff

steelfish

Yep, free spool time is fantástic on these reels.
My baja spins for 1:05 to 1:15
My fathom 40 spins always above 1:25 Mark.

Both like you did, cleaned the OEM Grease on the spool bearings and dip them on Tsi 321
The Baja Guy