US113 Handle Going Backwards

Started by Rivverrat, July 18, 2015, 12:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I just had a decent fish pull free. My next cast I get snagged I go to pull it free & the handle goes knuckle buster.

I was planning on tearing into the reel tonight.
Both dawgs were on their pins but neither was under
spring tension. The pin the dawg in this pic was on was not seated flush but was out a bit tilted.  Both springs were not in their place. Checking drag prior I lifted 20 lbs. & more from the floor with reel on rod. No hint of an issue when doing this repeatedly.    

Any one have thoughts on this? Reel is brand new. I think I'll blame it on John for bringing up in my prior thread that this is the one area of this reel he wasn't fond of....He jinxed me  ;D  

Alto Mare

Very simple, that reel can't handle the fish you're after. Get yourself a tank, well equipped, it will  give you 30lb of smooth drag.
The 113H would get the job done.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Come on now ;D

I think this reel has a reputation for doing well going after bigger stuff than I'll ever catch

Shark Hunter

Just ask Dominick. There is only one TANK! ;D

Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Rivverrat on July 18, 2015, 12:48:28 AM
Come on now ;D

I think this reel has a reputation for doing well going after bigger stuff than I'll ever catch

Something you hooked was enough to damage the AR dogs.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

Yep yer dogs just whooped!
Gotta get a bigger dog!

Rivverrat

OK, I know of people catching fish on this reel 200 lbs. & more. I'm trying for 100.   The fish I had hooked did pull drag. But the question is why didnt the other dawg or dog come into play & do it's job.

Tightlines667

Did you exceed the manufacturer-stated max drag of 27lbs?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

If what you all are saying is true.....Well I'm starting to get annoyed with this reel situation.  I'm still wondering why the other dog didnt do it's job?

Alto Mare

At times its not just about the dogs, I'm sure something else helped with those. Good idea to inspect everything else on that reel, maybe the gears locked up on you.
Its as a chain reaction, if the gears did freeze up on you, there are other components to look at, as drags, bearings and so on.
What I'm saying is that this might not be related to just the dogs. if it is a fluke and it happens to be just the dog, you didn't do too bad.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 18, 2015, 01:54:48 AM
Did you exceed the manufacturer-stated max drag of 27lbs?

I wasnt aware that you could on this reel. I believe, not for sure but I thought Steve Carson told me you could fish most all Penn star drags buttoned down stupid tight? I'm sure I could have tightened it more than it was. Why did the other dog not do it's job? Whats the purpose of having 2 dogs when only one fails & the reel goes knuckle buster.

Alto Mare

Yes, I've heard of some locking down the star using pliers, but that was with the older Senators. These newer ones are not the same.
Did you take the reel completely apart?

Rivverrat

YA'LL R A BUNCH OF RASCALS!  Stressing me all out like that.  

Rivverrat

Rivverrat

Anti reverse gear looks flat with good teeth