Accurate and Tiburon Frames

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, July 19, 2015, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: ez2cdave on November 21, 2016, 12:00:57 AM

Randy,

I scored this reel CHEAPLY on eBay recently. . . To my surprise, the Seller accepted my 1st Offer which was, admittedly, low !

Tight Lines !

Randy,

I'm a fisherman, not a "true collector" . . .

The sideplates off that red reel will be used in conjunction with the pristine Penn Red 50th Anniversary Spool in my current 113HLW ( below ) and an aftermarket frame like your TIBURON 113 HLW frame.

Then, I'll install a pair of stock Penn sideplates ( not the ones off of my 113HLW ) and re-sell it on eBay, probably getting at least what I paid for it. Then, I'll grab another 113HLW spool and put my reel in the pic below back in service !

Dave

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: thorhammer on November 21, 2016, 12:18:02 AM
Randy, hope you are doing well; hunting a 113h std width gold accurate frame to fish. An RP '8' is fine. 

Also same frame in electric blue or silver. 

Regards

John

PM sent John

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Randy,

I'm a fisherman, not a "true collector" . . .

The sideplates off that red reel will be used in conjunction with the pristine Penn Red 50th Anniversary Spool in my current 113HLW ( below ) and an aftermarket frame like your TIBURON 113 HLW frame.

Then, I'll install a pair of stock Penn sideplates ( not the ones off of my 113HLW ) and re-sell it on eBay, probably getting at least what I paid for it. Then, I'll grab another 113HLW spool and put my reel in the pic below back in service !

Dave

That sounds like a good plan Dave.  I have a nice stock Penn 1131HLW aluminum spool to go with the frame if you can use it.

Randy

[/quote]

ez2cdave

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 21, 2016, 08:43:31 AMThat sounds like a good plan Dave.  I have a nice stock Penn 1131HLW aluminum spool to go with the frame if you can use it.

Randy

Randy,

The RED Accurate 113 from eBay just arrived . . . A pleasant surprise, as it looks better in person than it did in the pics !

The distance between the sideplates is 2.125", instead of the Standard 2.437" . . . So, is this Accurate's version of the  "Yellowtail Special" narrow 4/0 ?

I just stripped the line off of it and the spool is in beautiful shape, too !

Dave

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Yes, that's the Yellowtail Special.  That's great that you didn't get a nasty eBay "surprise".  The worst is when a screw is frozen in the frame.  If you would like to know how to break them off, I am an expert.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 22, 2016, 05:02:48 PM
Yes, that's the Yellowtail Special.  That's great that you didn't get a nasty eBay "surprise".  The worst is when a screw is frozen in the frame.  If you would like to know how to break them off, I am an expert.

Randy,

Oh, yeah . . . I've been down that trail before. I took it "slow & easy", believe me !

I think the screws are Stainless Steel ( Allen Head ) . . . Got any "anti-seize" info you'd like to share, just in case, for when I start assembling ?

Dave

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Dave, my two cents worth is to always fill all of the holes (including the rod clamp stud holes) with grease, and grease the edges of the frame before you put it together.  If anyone else has any tips for Dave, please chime in.

Randy 

ez2cdave

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 22, 2016, 10:20:51 PM
Dave, my two cents worth is to always fill all of the holes (including the rod clamp stud holes) with grease, and grease the edges of the frame before you put it together.  If anyone else has any tips for Dave, please chime in.

Randy 

Thanks, Randy !

Let me ask you something . . . Are the screws for that frame 4-40 x 1/2 ?

Dave

RowdyW

The thread size is 5-40 not 4-40 for the side plates.  And the bridge screws are 6-40. Don't fill the holes in the frame with grease because it might cause a hydralic lock on the screw in a blind hole which can cause the edge of the frame to crack. I just dip the screw in the grease & install it & wipe up the excess after the screw is tightened.            Rudy

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on November 23, 2016, 12:21:44 AM
The thread size is 5-40 not 4-40 for the side plates.  And the bridge screws are 6-40.    Rudy

Rowdy,

So, they are 5-40 x 1/2 ???

Thank you, Sir !

Dave

RowdyW

Dave, backtrack to my post that I edited and added to it. I don't have the length handy but  as long as you have a deep enough bite on the screw into the frame it will be fine.

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on November 23, 2016, 12:38:19 AM
Dave, backtrack to my post that I edited and added to it. I don't have the length handy but  as long as you have a deep enough bite on the screw into the frame it will be fine.

Rowdy,

Got it . . . Thanks for the "heads-up" on the hydraulic lock situation !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Hi, Guys !

I have a QUESTION . . .

If ACCURATE sideplates are incompatible with  TIBURON topless frames, how is THIS reel possible ?   ( Accuplates, Tiburon T4W Frame , 113HLW Spool ).

The frame is clearly stamped "T4W" and is topless . . . The sideplates are definitely Accurate  . . . I'm puzzled !

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Accurate-Penn-113hlw-/272462050385

Happy Thanksgiving & Tight Lines !

RowdyW

Original T4W frame. Newer style has the recesses in the sides.

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on November 25, 2016, 03:35:20 AM
Original T4W frame. Newer style has the recesses in the sides.

Rowdy,

It sure looks to me like those sideplates are recessed into that frame . . . Do you have any pics of the new style frame and the old style frame to compare ?

Happy Thanksgiving & Tight Lines !