Accurate and Tiburon Frames

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, July 19, 2015, 10:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

The frame doesn't look like a 4/0 frame, he probably used one for the newell and got lucky.
the problem would be with the 4/0 spool with that frame, I'm sure he has close to 1/16" of space, way too much.
My opinion... move on.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

I don't have any photos but if you look at the thickness of the plates you can see that they are to thick to have part of them recessed into the frame. When using plates with the step in them the edges are half as thick. Tiburon went from a top cross bar to a narrow top bar to a topless frame on the standard & wide frames before going to the topless standard, narrow, & wide frames with the recess in them to fit original Penn plates without the inner ring. It was probably their thought that would be a stronger construction.     Rudy

ez2cdave

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2016, 04:03:52 AM
The frame doesn't look like a 4/0 frame, he probably used one for the newell and got lucky.
the problem would be with the 4/0 spool with that frame, I'm sure he has close to 1/16" of space, way too much.
My opinion... move on.

Sal

Hi, Sal !

I'm not looking to buy that reel, just using it for reference.

The frame has "T4W" engraved on it . . . Did the Newell frame carry the same Model Number ?

Happy Thanksgiving & Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on November 25, 2016, 04:06:00 AM
I don't have any photos but if you look at the thickness of the plates you can see that they are to thick to have part of them recessed into the frame. When using plates with the step in them the edges are half as thick. Tiburon went from a top cross bar to a narrow top bar to a topless frame on the standard & wide frames before going to the topless standard, narrow, & wide frames with the recess in them to fit original Penn plates without the inner ring. It was probably their thought that would be a stronger construction.     Rudy

Rudy,

Very interesting information . . . Thanks !

Alto Mare

Quote from: ez2cdave on November 25, 2016, 04:23:57 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 25, 2016, 04:03:52 AM
My opinion... move on.

Sal

Hi, Sal !

I'm not looking to buy that reel, just using it for reference.

The frame has "T4W" engraved on it . . . Did the Newell frame carry the same Model Number ?

Dave, I see it now, it is a T4W.
It appears it is recessed, but if you enlarge the pic, I'm with Rudy, it looks more like the standard frame.
Maybe Tiburon just came out with thicker frames to beef them up :-\.

Happy Thanksgiving to you as well.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yogi_fish808

That's my friends reel from here in Hawaii. It's definitely an old style Tiburon T4W frame without the recessed flange that allows accuplates to sit flush. I can vouch that he's taken very, very good care of that reel if anyone was interested in it.

ez2cdave

I will defer to the experts . . . Thanks to everyone who replied !

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Today, I had a great stroke of luck . . .

I was in a grocery store  this morning and overheard a couple of guys talking about fishing reels. So, I walked over and struck up a conversation. One of the guys was from California and had come over to visit his family for Thanksgiving. He said he had a few reels that needed to be cleaned up, but his Dad had suffered a recent stroke and couldn't do it for him. I asked him about his reels, 2 Penn SS Spinfshers ( 450SS ) and 2 113H Senators.

I brought up the subject of TIBURON frames and that I have been looking for one for my 113HLW. He said he'd gotten a frame off of eBay a couple of years ago, but it was too wide for his 4/0's and he didn't remember who made it. He had everything with him in his car . . . It was a "clean" Black 113HLW Tiburon frame with rod clamp . . . He was saying that it would cost him over $100, in California, to have a shop clean his reels. So, I asked him if he'd like to trade the frame, in exchange for me servicing all of his reels . . . He liked that idea and said "yes", immediately. To make a long story short, he just got his reels back 30 minutes ago !

Here is the 113HLW I've been talking about in this thread. I have some more cleanup to do on it, but I couldn't resist "piecing it together" for a few pics . . . LOL !!!

Red ACCURATE sideplates, Black Tiburon "40" 113HLW frame w/ TC-2 clamp, Penn 50th Anniversary Red 113HLW spool . . .

I still want to do a topless Tiburon 113HLW with Cortez sideplates, whenever they are going to make them in Red !

Tight Lines !

didka

I'd like to convert my Newell S332-5 reel in the near future. Do you have anything for this reel? TIA

RowdyW

Wow Dave you are quick. At 8:30pm last night you didn't have that 113HLW frame & by about noon today you already went out & serviced 4 reels & had time to put the frame into the 113hlw. Do you have a mobile reel service vehicle or do you need to recheck your timeline & dates.

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on November 25, 2016, 11:44:59 PM
Wow Dave you are quick. At 8:30pm last night you didn't have that 113HLW frame & by about noon today you already went out & serviced 4 reels & had time to put the frame into the 113hlw. Do you have a mobile reel service vehicle or do you need to recheck your timeline & dates.

Time settings must be off on the forum . . . I'm in NC . . . Got the reels about 9:15 AM EST . . . Returned Reels to the guy and got the frame, about 3:30 PM EST, 10 minute drive home . . . Popped reel together with 2 bolts in each plate for pics, posted just before 4:00 PM EST.

For some reason, the forum has me posting at 12:57 PM  . . . Not possible !

ez2cdave

I just posted and it's 7:09 PM EST my time in NC . . . Forum has me posting at 4:09 PM . . . California time ?

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

I just went into the Settings and put in a "3 Hour Offset" to compensate for being on the East Coast . . .

I would have to have been "The Flash", otherwise . . . LOL !

Tight Lines !

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: didka on November 25, 2016, 11:01:37 PM
I'd like to convert my Newell S332-5 reel in the near future. Do you have anything for this reel? TIA

There are several options.  Would you like to make it wider or narrower?

BryanC

Quote from: BryanC on October 10, 2016, 10:58:59 PM
For now I think I will hold out for a silver frame.  I will let you know if I change my mind about that.  Please let me know if you run across a standard width silver frame.

Randy,

Just letting you know that I'm still looking for a standard width new style silver frame.  LMK if you run across one.

-Bryan